Is it possible

Status
Please reply by conversation.

newguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Is it possible to get both IA5 and IA6 on one dish with two lnb's?

maybe

the minimum is 4 degrees but it usually requires gutting a LNB

I can get G3 and ExpressVu 91 (for the audio) on one but the LNB for G3 is rectangle. A regular LNB wouldnt work.

Thanks for the fast reply. I would have thought that being so close it would be possible. Are you saying that they are too close?

Thanks Iceberg. I didn't see your post when I replied. What if there was a way to put the second LNB on the top of the dish....or am I just way off base here?

The larger the dish the more space between lnb's.

For example, Standard 18" dish the DBS lnb's are side by side with 9 degrees between the satellites.

But on a Toroidal T90 dish (43" X 39") the recommended LNB spacing is 3 degrees. and on my Primestar multi-LNB dish (36" x 24"), I can get 5 degree spacing.

The bigger the dish the more space between LNB's. If you had a six foot dish, you could get a couple of degrees spacing.

But motorized system is the way to go, because you can get ALL the satellites in your arc.

I just acquired a Wave Frontier T90, and if my house is still standing next week, I'll get it up there and installed.

These will not work as a substitute for a motorized dish, since the spacing will not allow one to receive all satellites. But you can greatly increase the speed of channel surfing, as well as reduce the wear and tear on your motor, with one of these dishes. More importantly, you can tune in channels on different birds at the same time.

As soon as the killer hurricane runs its course, I'll be hard at work with the T90 project...

jerryt said:
The larger the dish the more space between lnb's.

For example, Standard 18" dish the DBS lnb's are side by side with 9 degrees between the satellites.

But on a Toroidal T90 dish (43" X 39") the recommended LNB spacing is 3 degrees. and on my Primestar multi-LNB dish (36" x 24"), I can get 5 degree spacing.

The bigger the dish the more space between LNB's. If you had a six foot dish, you could get a couple of degrees spacing.

But motorized system is the way to go, because you can get ALL the satellites in your arc.

My Primestar dish is 43" tall by 39 1/2" wide. So you are saying it might be possible to get them both with that dish? A motorized dish setup would be nice but my budget won't allow it at this time.

You could try and get both with the 43" X 39" primestar dish. Aim for the weakest satellite with the lnb in the center, then hunt for the second satellite right next to the first lnb.

Remember two things;
1) The second lnb will need to be on the opposite side from the center lnb. So if the second satellite is west of the center satellite. You mount your second lnb on the East side of the center lnb.

2) The dish will need to be skewed at the correct angle so that the second lnb can be side by side with the first. Note how Directv dishs are skewed for 101/110/119. Again the skew is opposite of the actual satellite positions. Like looking at a mirror image.

The quick and dirty method;
1) aim the center lnb
2) Copy the skew angle of your nieghbors Directv dish (West side of arc, Reverse for East side of arc)
3) Use signal meter and hunt for the location of the signal with that skew. readjust as need to make the two lnbs side by side.

Good luck

jerryt said:
You could try and get both with the 43" X 39" primestar dish. Aim for the weakest satellite with the lnb in the center, then hunt for the second satellite right next to the first lnb.

Remember two things;
1) The second lnb will need to be on the opposite side from the center lnb. So if the second satellite is west of the center satellite. You mount your second lnb on the East side of the center lnb.

2) The dish will need to be skewed at the correct angle so that the second lnb can be side by side with the first. Note how Directv dishs are skewed for 101/110/119. Again the skew is opposite of the actual satellite positions. Like looking at a mirror image.

Thanks again jerryt
I didn't realize that the second lnb needed to be on the opposite side of the center lnb. I am still a newbe with lots to learn.
I am going to have to give it a try. First I need to try to find a bargain on lnb's on ebay. I only have the one that came with the primestar dish and it isn't the best in the world. Right now its pointed to G10.
Thanks again for the advice. I will let you know how it comes out.

oh yeah forgot about that part :)

The 2nd LNB has to be on the opposite side....as an example, I have a DirecPC at 95 and a DBS LNB for 91 on the left of the KU band (if you're standing in front of the dish looking at it). So it looks like the DBS is at 99, but it reflects off the dish from 91

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)