Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
Everyone put on your thinking caps.

Is it possible to control 2 different diseqc positioning motors with the same receiver?

I am currently using a Pansat 3500 to control a Vbox II which in reality is the same as controlling a diseqc motor. I currently have a diseqc swith with port 1 for KU and port 2 for C-Band.

If I were to put up a Primestar dish and wanted to motorize it with an SG2100 or other diseqc/usals motor for KU only, and say I have a C-band sat on position 20, and I want to have a KU Sat also on position 20, is there a way to have the Pansat/diseqc switch be made to send out the signal to move the SG2100 when on port 1, and not signal the Vbox?

There are 49 positions available in the Pansat for storing sat positions from the factory. 1-27 for usals I think, and 28-49 for everything else.

Another possibility is to set up USALS only for the KU, and use diseqc for the Vbox. Would that work?

What other options are there for making this kind of setup work other than having a second receiver for KU only to control the Primestar?

Just wanting to explore options, and see what the expense will be to have two different motorized dishes running at the same time. :D

Thanks, Fred

Hi Fred, I don't know, but my guess would be "trial & error". Your trial and it's error. I don't see why not though, that is, if both motors receive enough electricity to operate. Your USALS motor uses 13/18 volts, and the actuator uses 36 volts. However, I assume the VBox II converts electricity to 13/18 somehow, and I know the actuator can operate with a 12 volt battery. So, who knows, like I said "trial & error". Maybe someone has already tried this and will chime in with a positive answer? It might be simpler to get another DVB receiver, and drive them separately, while using diseqc switches to get both dishes to both receivers. Or maybe use your analog to control the C-band, while your Pansat controls the ku dish. When you try it, and I know you will, be sure and let us know how well it works? I only hope it doesn't burn something up.

Al

Hi Al,

I think it would work, because the Vbox only pays attention to diseqc commands, and then sends the 36V to the actuator. USALS as I understand it only sends the 12/18V in it's own command format the way I understand it. But you are right, it might be too much to ask of one receiver.

I thought of two other possibilities after I wrote this question.

First, I have the other Pansat 3500 still sitting here waiting on me to make a decision to have the polorotor controls fixed or not. I could simply use it to run the KU and SG2100, and leave the other Pansat 3500 to run the Vbox and C-Band etc just like it is. The big problem with this scenario, is having two receivers that use the same remote and frequency. Is there a way to change the remote control frequency for one of the Pansats? Maybe convert one of them into UHF? For the price of the UHF remote setup, I could almost buy another receiver for KU. What does an inexpensive receiver that still has AC3 audio out and good blind scan run? I haven't ever looked much at anything but Pansats because of the polorotor thing.

The other possiblity which I really don't want to do is to disconnect the coax from the Vbox, change the settings for all the C-Band sats programmed in to no mover and use the Vbox as a stand alone positioner for them. Hook up the SG2100 and program in the KU sats to get moved by USALS or diseqc.

Any other thoughts or suggestions,

Fred

linuxman said:
Everyone put on your thinking caps.

Is it possible to control 2 different diseqc positioning motors with the same receiver?

I am currently using a Pansat 3500 to control a Vbox II which in reality is the same as controlling a diseqc motor. I currently have a diseqc swith with port 1 for KU and port 2 for C-Band.

If I were to put up a Primestar dish and wanted to motorize it with an SG2100 or other diseqc/usals motor for KU only, and say I have a C-band sat on position 20, and I want to have a KU Sat also on position 20, is there a way to have the Pansat/diseqc switch be made to send out the signal to move the SG2100 when on port 1, and not signal the Vbox?

There are 49 positions available in the Pansat for storing sat positions from the factory. 1-27 for usals I think, and 28-49 for everything else.

Another possibility is to set up USALS only for the KU, and use diseqc for the Vbox. Would that work?

What other options are there for making this kind of setup work other than having a second receiver for KU only to control the Primestar?

Just wanting to explore options, and see what the expense will be to have two different motorized dishes running at the same time. :D

Thanks, Fred

I use my Traxis DBS 4550 with two Dishes without problem, OK I don't use the same positions Nr for both dishes and don't use the SG2100. But I think if the switch change fast you will not have problem
I use a DiSEqC switch from DMSi 4x1, on one port I have a V BOX II from Moteck and a 2m Solid Dish and on the other port a V BOX II from Jaeger and a 2.4m Solid Dish. I'm surre you can do it with the SG2100, the only problem I don't know if the DiSEqC switch can pass 400mA for the SG2100, on a PANSAT switch it say Power Passing: 500mA Max, also not problem. The DMSi I don't know if it can Passing 500mA, but I think Tim can answeare it.
About the positions on the Pansat 3500, you can change it with Channel Master so you can use it from1-49 with DiSEqC 1.2 without problem. On the Pansat 2700 it will not work.

Saludos
Hiebert

To answer the OP's post, I currently am running the setup that you are seeking. I have a Pansat 2500a running to a VBox II to a 7.5m Cband dish and out to my 90cm sg2100 motorized KU dish with a QPH-031. I have my Cband running Diseqc 1.2 and the sg2100 running USALS. No hiccups, no problems. My sig below describes it a little better.

Thanks for your responses heibert and bidaw.

At least now I know it can be accomplished with one receiver.

I may however go ahead and use a second receiver simply because I have one here which has the options I want on it.

The only question now is whether putting a UHF remote control on one of the Pansats will disengage the regular remote functionality so I can use each separately without them being confused.

By using two separate receivers and one with a UHF remote, I can run a line into the living room, and start introducing my family to fta, and I can still have something to watch with the other receiver and dish. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.