Is it worth it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kriley13

Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
This is my first post and pretty sure i understand most of the rules.

I have dish network currently and my dish can pickup satellites: 110,119, 148. I was going to buy the sonicview 8000 hd for my new hdtv set. The only channels i need are the basic sports and local. Is it worth buying the sonicview to satisty these needs?

Thanks, if this is against the rules let me know what I can know.

:)

First of all, check this out to see what's up there on FTA SatelliteGuys.US - TheList .

Then if you're still interested you require a completely different dish from what you have now, one that's at least 24" and the bigger the better, with a linear LNB.

With the sonicview you will not be able to watch any programming from Dish network(or any other pay type service). If this is what you are planning to do, know that it is illegal to do so and we do not condone signal stealing in any way shape or form.

If what you want is true legitimate free to air, then welcome aboard, it's a wonderful hobby and yes, there are a LOT of good things to watch up there if you are willing to spend some time on it.

First of all, check this out to see what's up there on FTA SatelliteGuys.US - The .

Then if you're still interested you require a completely different dish from what you have now, one that's at least 24" and the bigger the better, with a linear LNB.

With the sonicview you will not be able to watch any programming from Dish network(or any other pay type service). If this is what you are planning to do, know that it is illegal to do so and we do not condone signal stealing in any way shape or form.

If what you want is true legitimate free to air, then welcome aboard, it's a wonderful hobby and yes, there are a LOT of good things to watch up there if you are willing to spend some time on it.

so my current dish size and the satellites will not allow me to pickup Hd channels period?

Why would you plan on buying a Free to Air Receiver and using it with a Dish that can pick up 119/110/148?

There is nothing available on those satellites in a true FTA setup unless you plan on stealing the signal!

FTA is not Dish Network... It is the reception of channels from satellites across the sky which are generally meant for broadcasters or cable companies. These are not signals from Dish Network, they are Ku signals uplinked by pros for reception by pros, and therefore require a larger dish. The FTA channels we receive include locals from around the country, news feeds, foreign programming, plenty of religious programming, etc. You will not get Showtime, Cinemax, Discovery Channel, ESPN, etc in the clear. The only full-time HD on Ku-Band is PBS-HD.

I have to agree with everyone else so far. I think you're jumping the gun here. You need to do a lot more reading up on FTA and get an understanding of the types of signals and LNB's.

There is a lot of programming available for free, but I'm not sure it may be exactly what you're looking for. Your Dish Network Satellite will not work with what you are wanting to do unless you plan stealing signal. That is immoral and illegal. It would be the same thing as "hooking" up your own cable from the cable company and stealing their signal or running a power line to your house from the poles outside without a meter box or anything and just "stealing" the power.

These companies..(dish, direct, cable, etc.) are in business to make money. They employ a lot of people who depend on that money in order for the business to grow and in order for them to support their families....
Anyway, that's enough on my rant, I'll get back to topic.

Do a lot of research on here, check out lyngsat.com to see available free channels. Get some understanding of the different types of free to air signals such as C-Band (the really big dishes) and Ku (Big, but not as big as C band yet a bit bigger than your dishnetwork dish) and how they work.

If you think it's for you, then have fun and enjoy all that's out there. If not then you've saved some money by not purchasing a receiver that won't do what you really want it to.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts