2 lnb and a switch question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

badmotorscooter

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Indy
I am happily panning the arc picking off channels. I have an extra oldskool directv sinle lnb i wanted to add to my system. i have a 4x1 diseqc switch that i can use. From what I have read it should be hooked up, lnb(s), switch, motor, receiver. What do I have to setup in my receiver to make it know to switch lbs on certain channels? I am using a coolsat 6000 premium. On another sort of unrelated question, I was a given a Digiwave dg6800 so I thought i could slave it in the other bedroom. Do I just use the loop out feature on the coolsat and search eat satelllite with the digiwave? I would assume I have to turn off lnb power in my slave unit?

No one knows? Perhaps my wording was confusing. I want to know the best way to add a circular lnb to my linear lnb. I can either strap it to the side or i have a pizza dish i can point at 119 for NASA. I think if i strap it to the right side(facing dish) of my motorized setup when i am on 123w I should be able to pick up 119w for nasa. The part I am most confused about is how do I set up the Coolsat 6000 for it to know I have two lnbs?

On my second question I figured it out, I turned off lnb power on the slave and sat the master on a satellite then scanned in the channels to my slave.

I am happily panning the arc picking off channels. I have an extra oldskool directv sinle lnb i wanted to add to my system. i have a 4x1 diseqc switch that i can use. From what I have read it should be hooked up, lnb(s), switch, motor, receiver.
corect

What do I have to setup in my receiver to make it know to switch lbs on certain channels? I am using a coolsat 6000 premium.
I would hook the KU LNB ot Diseqc 1 and the directv to Diseqc 2. IN the menu options (dish setup) it says "Diseqc"...select Diseqc 1.0 and on all KU sats change to port 1. On the DBS sats (110,119 etc) set to Diseqc 2

On another sort of unrelated question, I was a given a Digiwave dg6800 so I thought i could slave it in the other bedroom. Do I just use the loop out feature on the coolsat and search eat satelllite with the digiwave? I would assume I have to turn off lnb power in my slave unit?
2 ways to do it

If the LNB has 2 outputs then run a new line to the 2nd receiver. It would get both polarities on the same satellite as whatever the Coolsat is set to

if you use the loop out then if the CS is on the 2nd box only gets same polarity. If its off (Coolsat in standby mode) then the 2nd box gets both polarities

I use to have a diseqc set up on mine but switched to a 22k switch for a couple reasons
-they're smaller
-only had to change the settings on 6 sats (the DBS ones) versus 30+ :)

ok, now you peaked my interest. Does the 22khz switch wire the same only i just set the circular lnb satellites i want to hit with a 22khz tone set to on all the time? sure seems easier.

yep. I use to have a small 22k switch (ecoda)

KU sats the 22k was set to off which is the default
DBS sats were set to 22k ON

now I have to ask what kind of LNB do you have for KU? If its a Universal, then the 22k wont work and you would need a diseqc switch
If its standard then yes the 22k will work

Yes it is a standard lnb. I guess I will be buying a 22k switch now. :) Are the dish network SW21 the same thing? I think I might be able to pick one of them up for free.

A SW 21 is a different type of switch for Dish Network and BellTV systems. They won't work on FTA recievers without installing pirate software on the reciever.

The Diseqc switch will work just as well with a FTA box as a 22kHz switch. If you get a 22kHz switch make sure it is an ECODA. With a ECODA you can install it between the reciever and the motor for future upgrades to run a motorized system and up to 7 fixed dishes. Other brands won't pass the Usals signal to the motor if installed between the motor and reciever.

Main difference between a DiSEqC switch and a 22k switch is that the DiSEqC can switch between more than two LNBFs (assuming its not a 2-port DiSEqC, which are somewhat rare), whereas the 22k is either "off" or "on", therefore can only switch between two LNBFs.

Advantages of the 22k are that its easier to feed the outputs from two dual output LNBFs (such as the Invacom Quad, which is actually two dual output LNBFs in one case) to multiple receivers. You can do this using a 4 x 4 or 4 x 8 multiswitch, which is a 22k switch combined with a multiswitch. Another advantage is that the 22k switches are usually more rugged, and last longer.

I must have good luck with diseqc switches since I've never had a problem.:) I always turn off the recievers with the switch on the back before connecting or disconnecting the coax so a port on the diseqc doesn't open/short out. That is supposed to be a problem with diseqc switches but can be avoided by never forgetting to power down. I'm so used to doing it now that I still do it if I'm only using a 22kHz switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts