Is it worth waiting for the HR44?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

upsss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
AZ
I am switching from Dish and scheduled to have Diretv installed this weekend. Is it worth waiting for the HR44 another month? I don't care about the wireless capability, I do like the speed increase, no fan and smaller size. How painful were the initial problem with the HR34? How long did it take for them to fix these problems. I understand that the HR34 still has some minor problems.

You might wait a long time. Since the HR34 and HR44 will be considered the same unit, you could get either when ordering a Genie.

The HR44 has a different chip, smaller foot print, has internal wifi, has external power supply, a smaller more compact better looking (black) remote.. Now ask yourself, why does "D" come out with the HR44 so soon after the HR34 and especially, why change the chip? Because it's better. I'm waiting just like the installer suggested I do last week.

Now ask yourself, why does "D" come out with the HR44 so soon after the HR34 and especially, why change the chip? Because it's better.
With the successive generations of any receiver model, the primary reason DIRECTV comes out with a new iteration is that it is cheaper.

Sometimes they add a feature or two and other times they remove something. In this case, adding optical audio back in and removing the S-video output. Time will tell how the World will remember the RC71.

I'm waiting for the hr44 to replace the hr22, Just hoping the SW don't ruin the experience like some hr34's

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

there's no guarantee you'll get a 44 instead of a 34 when it's out unless you get one yourself from a retailer at full leased price. Up to you, but I can tell you I'm happy with the 34.

I look at it like this:

You may be waiting 3-6 months if you wait, but there isn't much good TV on in the summer for most people.
Wireless isn't a big deal for most, they will install a CCK near your router anyway, it is just a easier setup for the installer in the future.
Smaller isn't a big deal for most, and personally I prefer not having all the external power supplies, which is what they are moving to.
I've never noticed the fan on my HR34, so fanless isn't big to me either.

The benefit is a bit faster processing. That said, since the software has stabilized over the past few months the HR34 runs pretty stable. I think it is slightly slower than an HR24 (very slight), but faster than any HR20-HR23. Just my personal observations, have used an HR34 for 9 months or so.

It isn't about wireless, Is about faster processor chip for faster channel changes and remote responses, As I'm tired of this slow HR22 but happy for my HR24, If its anything like the HR24 or better SW or faster wise, I'm all for it even if I have to get it from solidsignal.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts