Is local channels required now?

bjohn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Sorry if this is a repeat question, but my searches weren't successful.

I've been getting local channels thru my rooftop antenna all this time and avoiding the $5 charge. Looks like when I tried to sign up for the free HD promo, local channels are required now. Is there any way to get around this?

I'm in NY.

Thanks

My online programming still shows the Dish America Silver price without the locals (39.99 instead of $44.99). It looks like I'm still grandfathered in without locals for now...

Basic Programming: Dish America Silver $39.99 * Premiums Channels: HBO & Sho $24.00 A La Carte and Add-ons: Fox Sports North $0.00 Big Ten Network $0.00 *Your Basic Programming is not a current programming option and is only available for you until you choose to switch to an available package below. You are free to keep your current Basic Programming, but if you elect to change, you will not be able to receive this package again.

So I suppose there is no way to get around this? It sucks that I have to pay $5 for something I get free.

Thanks

HD locals

I was getting my locals from ant..Switched my package, added DVR's tech coming out tomorrow. All receivers I have are HD. I can not receive HD locals because of were that dish is aimed (tree's). I am going to try and get out of the locals for that reason will post back.;)

Good luck trying to get the locals removed.
I too had the package without locals. As soon as I added my RV receiver back onto my account, they changed my package to "with locals". Net effect, I spent a lot of money on a new antenna system at home that would have paid for itself over time.

That has been taken away from me, and to add the 311 cost me an additional $12.00 a month. Needless to say I will be filing a complaint with the state attorney general. I may not get the locals removed, but it will cost Dish network a chunk of change in legal fees & filings plus someone's time, and at least make me feel a little better.

My online programming still shows the Dish America Silver price without the locals (39.99 instead of $44.99). It looks like I'm still grandfathered in without locals for now....

I am grandfathered as well, America's Top 250 for 59.99 (no locals included) plus $10.00 for HD Platinum.

It seems that the OP was grandfathered. I don't see why adding HD would change that.

I got my locals removed, but only because I can not receive them. I needed to go to the EA setup to continue to get my primary HD, and all of my locals are on WA. A quick call to customer support and my locals are removed.

I also appear to be grandfathered. I use an OTA antenna for many, many more channels plus higher PQ. I "assume" when I drop HBO/SHO they will still leave me on the "w/o locals" plan. But I won't be too surprised if I get stuck with another $5/month. The locals EPG is of little value to me. Certainly not $5/month worth. I understand Dish does not provide subchannels here nor do they provide WETA channel 26 in HD. Well, WETA likes to call it HD.

..... Needless to say I will be filing a complaint with the state attorney general. I may not get the locals removed, but it will cost Dish network a chunk of change in legal fees & filings plus someone's time, and at least make me feel a little better.

Do you really think your AG is going to pursue this? Even do so much as send a letter? It's kinda like buying a car that comes with a sunroof, even though you want to order it w/o a sunroof. To get the heated seats or the model you want, you now have to buy a pkg that includes the sunroof. I speak, of course, of my 2003 Accord.

We've actually had people post here that they were contacting their AG. I don't recall anyone ever going anywhere with it.

For example, a not-too-fanciful To Do List for your AG:
-Pursue paperwork on 6 ongoing murders. (plea bargain all to manslaughter if possible).
-File 36 burglary/theft charges. (plea bargain as many as possible to reduced charges)
-10 rapes. (pursue)
-2 high profile embezzlements. (plea bargain if possible)
-218 other violent crimes. (guess what?)
-2 complaints that Dish isn't treating me right.

-Manpower and budget is enough to actually pursue two thirds of these.

I've seen violations a lot more serious than your complaint be ignored simply due to them having to make some hard choices about where to put their efforts.

Like I stated in another post, if you can properly get your locals, I suggest to "move" to an adjacent market, at least you'll have some variety. The exception is if the "move" messes with your RSNs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)