Is Michael Phelps the greatest Olympian ever?

Yes! People can argue the intangibles, but there is no disputing the fact Phelps has dominated his sports (and the games) like no other Olympian in history. His list of accomplishments is simply incredible; second to none!!

Yes! People can argue the intangibles, but there is no disputing the fact Phelps has dominated his sports (and the games) like no other Olympian in history. His list of accomplishments is simply incredible; second to none!!

I don't see him to be any different than Mark Spitz, they were both great Olympians.

Swimmers and sprinters get more opportunities to win multiple medals for doing nearly the same thing several times. I'd be more inclined to give that title to someone who won medals at the most olympic games, or who medaled in unrelated events, or to a top decathlete. Edwin Moses and Jim Thorpe would be candidates.

Last edited:
The star of the best selling gay poster of all times wasn't even gay.

tumblr_m7kfezpv6S1rak531o1_250.jpg
versus
phelps08si-1.jpg

, When I went to the Olympics, I had every intention of shaving the mustache off, but I realized I was getting so many comments about it—and everybody was talking about it—that I decided to keep it. I had some fun with a Russian coach who asked me if my mustache slowed me down. I said, 'No, as a matter of fact, it deflects water away from my mouth, allows my rear end to rise and make me bullet-shaped in the water, and that's what had allowed me to swim so great.' He's translating as fast as he can for the other coaches, and the following year every Russian male swimmer had a mustache.

- Mark Spitz

Last edited:
I didn't think the NYT article made the case. It is likely that there has been a dropoff in intercollegiate swimming participation since Phelps made his first big "splash" at the 2008 Olympics. There was a boon in municipal swimming pool construction after Mark Spitz won his medals, though that probably reflected the economic trends of the times, because there was an indoor tennis court construction boon in that era as well. Unfortunately, the golfers who joined the tennis clubs quickly discovered that playing tennis was too much work, and so most of those facilities became rental discount outlets.

Bobby Orr inspired New Englanders to build hockey rinks. Before Bobby Orr, there were only six high school hockey teams in all of New Hampshire, but by the early 1970s, there were a whole slew. The National Hockey League only had one or two American born players in it in the late 1960s, but then Massachusetts became such a schoolboy hotbed that by the mid 1970s, they were producing first round draft picks. I think the ensuing success of the 1980 United States Olympic hockey team was partly responsible for more moderate climate cities becoming viable NHL markets.

Tiger Woods does not seem to have inspired many black youths to become the next Tiger Woods, and for that matter, Michael Jordan has only inspired youth to buy overpriced sneakers. I have to think that Kip Keino and some other Kenyan Olympians whose names I never learned have inspired a whole lot more Kenyans to run distance races than Americans have been or will ever be inspired by the successes of Spitz and Phelps to take up competitive swimming, and Franz Klammer's final downhill run in 1976 to clinch his solitary Gold medal has surely inspired more skiers.

What Phelps has done is incremental. He won one more gold medal in his big year than Spitz did, and has nerfed out some female gymnast(?), who I had never heard of, for total medals. Such is not the stuff that legends are made of.

Last edited:
The woman - Larisa Latynina - who had 17 medals, was surpassed by 5 by Phelps. She had 9 Gold. He has 18. Spitz has 11 total medals, Carl Lewis, has 10.

While I have no idea what "nerfed out" means -- he did not squeak past that record, he blew it out of the water, quite literally. And she was there to witness it and congratulate him.

People will always disagree about who is the greatest, but this accomplishment is not insignificant. He competed in almost 10,000 meters of Olympic swimming. There have been 48 men's swimming events contested in the three Olympics since Phelps started winning golds. He's medaled in 22. That's 46 percent. Keep in mind he's only competed in 24.

In swimming, yes without a doubt. However, put him in something else like basketball and he would be destroyed. Then again, you put the b-ball player up against Phelps in swimming, the b-ball player wouldn't have a chance of winning.

To be considered the best Olympic athlete, he would have to compete in several sports and win.

Exactly how many athletes compete in different Olympic sporting events?

It doesn't really matter, as the whole question is quite subjective, but at a minimum, Phelps is the most decorated Olympian of all time.

To be considered the best Olympic athlete, he would have to compete in several sports and win.

There are so few that do this and even fewer that win medals in multiple sports that you can't put them in the discussions. You also have to remember that he has won his medals in different events. It is very difficult to be that good for so long in so many different disciplines.

How many athletes can say that they have averaged 7 1/3 medals in each of their Olympics? There aren't more than a select few that can even say that they have won 7 medals over their entire Olympic career.

There are so few that do this and even fewer that win medals in multiple sports that you can't put them in the discussions. You also have to remember that he has won his medals in different events. It is very difficult to be that good for so long in so many different disciplines.

How many athletes can say that they have averaged 7 1/3 medals in each of their Olympics? There aren't more than a select few that can even say that they have won 7 medals over their entire Olympic career.

Agreed. And Phelps stats speak for themselves.

Phelps' achevements are mind-blowing. But, sports fans being sports fans, we sometimes need to throw some wood on the fire for the sake of argumentation. Yes, Phelps has 22 medals, but he got a lot of help with nine of them coming in relays. Latynina's medals, with the exception of three team medals were all individual accomplishments. Then again, Phelps probably faced a higher quality of competition. So I could go back and forth with just those two great athletes.

Could you now also throw Misty and Kerri's name into the mix. 3 straight gold medals winning 21 straight matches with only dropping 1 set through the entire process. That is also a huge accomplishment and will be tough to follow.

Without a doubt he is the best. Every athlete gets the chance to compete in a many events as they can. He not only was the best in his sport but the best in several different stroke types. How many runners of the 100M dash also run in the 110 Hurdles? Not many if any.

Without a doubt he is the best. Every athlete gets the chance to compete in a many events as they can. He not only was the best in his sport but the best in several different stroke types. How many runners of the 100M dash also run in the 110 Hurdles? Not many if any.

Let's put it to you them this way Ramy, the other night, he swam in a medal relay and it was the 1st time he did not medal in 25 events for the Olympics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts