Is MLB Extra Innings Ever Offered Free to New Subscribers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

907arcticcat

Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
North of Center
Last year I signed up during the Sunday Ticket offer! I have a buddy who would now like to sign up, but I don't think D* currently has a free sports offer! Come spring, is it typical for D* to offer Extra Innings as a promotion? I think I read prices are set to increase in the next month or two! Anyone know what Choice Extra is set to go up? I think it is currently $34.99/new subscriber!

I don't think so, but that would be a great deal for Directv to hook someone for two years and the only thing they give away is free MLB sports pack for a season.

Last year I signed up during the Sunday Ticket offer! I have a buddy who would now like to sign up, but I don't think D* currently has a free sports offer! Come spring, is it typical for D* to offer Extra Innings as a promotion? I think I read prices are set to increase in the next month or two! Anyone know what Choice Extra is set to go up? I think it is currently $34.99/new subscriber!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/274451-new-directv-prices.html

I'm on the fence about going back to EI through Direct or continuing my MLB.TV subscription

MLB.TV Advantages:

Price (about 1/2 of that of EI)
More viewing device options and streaming options (mobile devices, tablets, computers, PS3, AppleTV, Boxee, PopBox, and several TVs)
Archived games (can go back to watch any game of the season)
Available during the off-season, preseason, and post season
More games available for viewing
Easier to get around blackout rules (using a location spoof on my iPad and iPhone I can watch any game, even out of region Saturday games)
PIP and options for 1, 2, 3, or 4 games at one time (although you lose HD when viewing more than 1 game at time)

EI on DirecTV Advantages:

Don't have to switch devices when switching between games and other channels
Game Mix (much better game mix channel)
Not dependent on bandwidth restrictions, internet downage, or some hacker ruining the PS3 (like they did last year during the season)
PQ (the picture quality through DirecTV EI is better, but the difference is more dependent on bandwidth and the device you use to stream MLB.TV). The PQ on the PS3 was almost just as good as that through DirecTV

With my SlingBox I too will have more viewing options for EI on DirecTV, but I am unable to access my SlingBox through my work's server. I can access MLB.TV on the server though.

What I will do is ask DirecTV if they can give me EI for the same price as MLB.TV or even free (I was offered it for free last year if I switched out of my grandfathered TC+ package but I turned it down). If they can give me the deal, then I will go with EI; if not, I will stick with MLB.TV.

Dodger King, if you care about PQ then you'll get the D* version.. Just kidding(referring to the other board). I'm also on the fence myself yet again this season..

I'm on the fence about going back to EI through Direct or continuing my MLB.TV subscription

MLB.TV Advantages:

Price (about 1/2 of that of EI)
More viewing device options and streaming options (mobile devices, tablets, computers, PS3, AppleTV, Boxee, PopBox, and several TVs)
Archived games (can go back to watch any game of the season)
Available during the off-season, preseason, and post season
More games available for viewing
Easier to get around blackout rules (using a location spoof on my iPad and iPhone I can watch any game, even out of region Saturday games)
PIP and options for 1, 2, 3, or 4 games at one time (although you lose HD when viewing more than 1 game at time)

EI on DirecTV Advantages:

Don't have to switch devices when switching between games and other channels
Game Mix (much better game mix channel)
Not dependent on bandwidth restrictions, internet downage, or some hacker ruining the PS3 (like they did last year during the season)
PQ (the picture quality through DirecTV EI is better, but the difference is more dependent on bandwidth and the device you use to stream MLB.TV). The PQ on the PS3 was almost just as good as that through DirecTV

With my SlingBox I too will have more viewing options for EI on DirecTV, but I am unable to access my SlingBox through my work's server. I can access MLB.TV on the server though.

Dodger,
With the MLB set up, are you watching on your HT TV or on the computer monitor ?

In my case IF your watching it on the computer, it's a no brainer ..... My 19" monitor or my 60" Pioneer Elite ?

Attachments

• MLB PC2.png
    MLB PC2.png
    189.3 KB · Views: 184
  • MLB PC.png
    MLB PC.png
    205.3 KB · Views: 184
  • MLB.TV.jpg
    MLB.TV.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 166
  • MLB.JPG
    MLB.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 202
  • MLB2.JPG
    MLB2.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0792.JPG
    IMG_0792.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0791.JPG
    IMG_0791.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0680.JPG
    IMG_0680.JPG
    342.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
DodgerKing said:

Yeah, I caved at got the D* version and was very happy with it.. I did get some credits though.. I really liked what I saw when I used the PS3/Mac version(free trial for purchasing MLB the show). I'm leaning on going with the Direct TV version simply for the convineance..

I just remember the obnoxious posts last year about this subject on DBSt.. Obnoxious meaning rants(at least what I would consider a rant) towards anyone even considering getting the online equivalent over that of the DBS provider.. I've always liked the attitude over on this board..

Yeah, I caved at got the D* version and was very happy with it.. I did get some credits though.. I really liked what I saw when I used the PS3/Mac version(free trial for purchasing MLB the show). I'm leaning on going with the Direct TV version simply for the convineance..

I just remember the obnoxious posts last year about this subject on DBSt.. Obnoxious meaning rants(at least what I would consider a rant) towards anyone even considering getting the online equivalent over that of the DBS provider.. I've always liked the attitude over on this board..
I know. I was part of that thread. It may have been a thread that I started. Even when I would post videos comparing the PQ from Direct to that through the PS3 and video captures of the PS3 by others demonstrating how good the PQ was, they still tried to find some flaw.

In the videos I posted above, most of the artifacting, pixelation, and blur is due to my iPhone filming it and the downrezing on Photobucket, not the actual broadcast itself.

The only reason why I would go back to EI is because of the convenience. If they can match the MLB.TV price I will switch back, particularly now that I can Sling EI to any of my devices (except my PCs at work)

I had the MLB.tv last year on my Roku box and the quality wasn't bad at all. But now I have Direct and was thinking of going with EI also.

Oh and I'm a Dodger fan also Dodger King. I'm pulling for Cuban to get ownership.

I had the MLB.tv last year on my Roku box and the quality wasn't bad at all. But now I have Direct and was thinking of going with EI also.

Oh and I'm a Dodger fan also Dodger King. I'm pulling for Cuban to get ownership.

I doubt Cuban would get it and IF he did, I would be PISSED at MLB, he has WANTED to have several teams already and has been shot down for one reason or another.

He was a top guy for the CUBS, which I think would have been GREAT for them .... but the MLB and other owners I guess wouldn't let him.
Maybe they didn't want the competition :mad:

Dodger,
With the MLB set up, are you watching on your HT TV or on the computer monitor ?

In my case IF your watching it on the computer, it's a no brainer ..... My 19" monitor or my 60" Pioneer Elite ?

I have a 47" HDTV sitting 7.5' from my viewing position, and a 24" monitor sitting 2' from the same viewing position. The monitor is a bit to my left so that the image on it is adjacent to the TV. At these distances, the relative image size of the monitor is larger than that of the TV.

I have a 47" HDTV sitting 7.5' from my viewing position, and a 24" monitor sitting 2' from the same viewing position. The monitor is a bit to my left so that the image on it is adjacent to the TV. At these distances, the relative image size of the monitor is larger than that of the TV.

I guess thats one way to look at it.

I typically will be on my computer and turn around and watch the TV, from the same chair.

Still would rather watch the TV than the monitor.

I am a Dish customer and huge baseball fan. If Directv offered free Extra Innings this season like they did with Sunday Ticket it would probably get me to switch. I was tempted to do it this fall for Sunday Ticket but I am a bigger baseball fan so I held off hoping for an EI offer.

I bought a PS3 a few weeks ago partly for the games but mostly because I wanted MLB.TV on the TV. I would rather get a free season from Directv though so its all on one input and I can use DVR features.

Best thing I ever did was hook up HDMI to my pc. D* or computer on a large tv or monitor. Anytime, anything.

I am a Dish customer and huge baseball fan. If Directv offered free Extra Innings this season like they did with Sunday Ticket it would probably get me to switch. I was tempted to do it this fall for Sunday Ticket but I am a bigger baseball fan so I held off hoping for an EI offer.

I bought a PS3 a few weeks ago partly for the games but mostly because I wanted MLB.TV on the TV. I would rather get a free season from Directv though so its all on one input and I can use DVR features.

Doesn't hurt to call and inquire ... use that as a potential bargaining chip, I would wait closer to the middle of March to do that though, with the season starting in April.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)