Is Motion Resolution an Issue with OLED TVs?

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Got a tech question for Sound & Vision? Email us at AskSandV@gmail.com

As I understand things, any motion on an LCD TV is accompanied by a loss in resolution. For example, 1080p isn’t really 1080p when the image is in motion. Here’s my question: Since OLED has a much faster response time than LCD, does resolution stay the same when the image contains motion? —Michael McGehee / Macon, Georgia

Unfortunately, no. OLED does have a significantly faster response time than LCD, but both technologies use a sample-and-hold method to display images. Here’s how that works: When a video frame is displayed onscreen, it remains fixed there until the next frame comes along. Other TV technologies like plasma and CRT, in contrast, use an impulse display method where the phosphors that light up to create the image fade rapidly to black before the next video frame appears.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/motion-resolution-issue-oled-tvs

To be honest, my cheap 2013 Insignia 60hz LCD doesnt blur like older models did. It used to be BAD and annoying. I think most of these models hitting like 500 lines off the bat are fine. As little interpolation as I have to use, the better for me. I do not mind a little, but some of it just looks soooo fake.

The article is a bit backwards. The LCD does not lose resolution when there is motion. It is that the picture refresh is too slow and the brain sees the start stop instead of imagining motion. Essentially the CRT by quickly fading, did not have an image and the brain simply imagines what the motion is doing and fills it in. The LCD by not fading keeps the brain from using its imagination.

The other issue is that MPEG over compression loses resolution in moving objects leading to real blur regardless of the display technology. MPEG compression has steadily improved so this is less of a factor.

Essentially we need higher bit rates and more frames per second...

Reactions: Foxbat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)