Is "Moving" illegal or just breach of contract?

i from alabama and i wont to sayport my local busness people. if a man not local and sayport local what is he? i was born and rased here and i hope i dye here. unlass something hapend i wood never even leve here. thats why i thank we shood have to get locals. so we are sayporting our local busnesses. we are all alrite but i get treeted better here. once i stap foot into tn or ga or ny or someplace i treeted rudley. i just wont to be home and sayport home.

i from alabama and i wont to sayport my local busness people. if a man not local and sayport local what is he? i was born and rased here and i hope i dye here. unlass something hapend i wood never even leve here. thats why i thank we shood have to get locals. so we are sayporting our local busnesses. we are all alrite but i get treeted better here. once i stap foot into tn or ga or ny or someplace i treeted rudley. i just wont to be home and sayport home.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Uh oh, Scarson's off of his meds again....

i am not on anythang now. i had cancer but i got heeled. im glad i no longer take anythang. when you dont now if you will wake up next day and the medicene makes you feel worst you will be happy to come off and go back to everydays live. i knowed that my comants wood only make some mad. i feel like we need to sayport local area in this country or at worst and it isnt were you live the next place over up or down or even candada but no where oustside of those places and those places the us or candada.i have not ment to affend.

Can't agree

I can't agree with this statement as in the fact that I can't get all my locals off sat in HD. In fact where I'm about to move to they don't have anything but SD locals on so I will move to a DMA that has a spot that will give me their locals by using a larger dish. When all DMA's have their locals it would be a bit different (all 5 +PBS in HD) I could agree.

They might be able to w/phone but not the net. It is routed too many ways for them to trace it out very easily.

Depends upon the ISP and how they assign their IP addresses. If you've moved to somewhere close to your billing address, there probably won't be an issue. If your "physical" address is on the other side of the country, then it could be a problem.

But you're correct in that it's not very easy for them to determine where you are by IP address, but when has Dish ever done anything the easy way? (Think audit dept.)

So, if I moved to Toronto, but told Dish that I moved to Buffalo, NY, would everything work ok? Or, would it be better to not mention that I moved at all?

I was a mover for many years and the phone line was never an issue. Dish had my correct phone number 904-xxx-xxxx but my billing address was in the 305 area code. Dish IMO can easily see that geographicly my address and phone number do not match yet they choose not to.

For those who say it is "illegal", please reference the LAW that is being broken.

As was stated earlier in this thread, by Claude and others, it is illegal for the satellite carriers to knowingly provide a customer with locals out of their market.

But let me take the 10 seconds to google the actual law for you, which is http://uscode.house.gov/uscode-cgi/...on and Reauthorization Act of 2004) 47USC Sec 339 and which states
Subject to section 119 of title 17, any satellite carrier
shall be permitted to provide the signals of no more than two
network stations in a single day for each television network to
any household not located within the local markets of those
network stations.

In addition, since a customer would be misreporting their physical address to the satellite carrier, who in turn would be misreporting it to the appropriate state/local tax agencies (especially true if the customer "moved" across state lines), the customer could end up facing tax fraud/evasion charges if they were caught. In the past, this may not have been a very likely scenario, but given the current budget crisis of many states I would not be surprised if they viewed this as another source of income and were more aggressive in enforcement.

Last edited:
IF tax evasion was a real big problem for cities, I am sure they would be litigating against the sat companies and not just the customers themselves. More money from a company than a customer alone.

The whole DMA thing is completely stupid. I live 40 miles SE of Chicago and 55 West of South Bend Indiana. My neighbor and my Dad have cable and gets all the South Bend Stations. I have DirecTV and keep thinking of going back to cable just to get the South Bend Indiana stations.

All we're allowed (by FCC rules) is Chicago. I have written my congressman, the FCC and everyone I can think of. My neighbor wants DirecTV but won't give up the Colts Games. I hate not getting the Colts games or having to buy the NFL package to get it. So I go over to his house and put up with the "if you just had Comcast" jokes. on those Sundays.

I'm not sure why DISH and DirecTV haven't pounced all over the unfair competition part of this.

Whether they belive it or not it is costing them a LOT of customers. My dad won't switch either. He wants those South Bend Channels. This Summer I'm going to get a good High Gain antenna and put on my roof and try to get South Bend with the antenna. Only problem is I don't have a tower and won't spend that kind of money so it might be harder.

If I can't get them I'll likely switch to Comcast before football starts again.

It is nice to see Indiana news too since I live in Indiana. All I ever see is how corrupt the Illinois Government is and I can't tell you most of the time what is going on in my own state..

For those who say it is "illegal", please reference the LAW that is being broken.

Let me repeat the original question for you since it was strayed off on a tangent: "people" certainly means "customers" in this case.

Try again ?

It is still illegal for the satcos to knowingly provide service to somebody outside of their DMA. Just because the customer won't get thrown in jail for it doesn't make it legal.

And in re-reading this thread, I don't see where anyone said it was illegal for the customer to "move"...just that it was illegal for the satcos to knowingly provide the service.

IF tax evasion was a real big problem for cities, I am sure they would be litigating against the sat companies and not just the customers themselves. More money from a company than a customer alone.

I seem to recall Omaha trying something like that a while back. A 3 year expiring "inspection fee" for somewhere around $50, and it caused a huge problem for them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts