Is "Moving" illegal or just breach of contract?

alphanguy

Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Does anyone have any HARD info (I'm not talking armchair lawyers, guesses or assumptions) on whether if it's a situation where people get CRIMINALLY prosecuted, or just a violation of terms of service? My "official" DMA I get OTA, but I also get 2 affiliates from my adjacent DMA OTA... and with "moving" I'd like to get them all from the adjacent DMA with my DISH.

Last edited:
No i don't think its illegal, and if it was they wouldn't prosecute over it. People that steel sattilite and cable don't get prosecuted so i cant imagine them doing that do you. But yes its a breach of contract because you basicly breaking FCC regulations that dish has to uphold or else.

Yes its Illegal, if it wasn't then satellite companies could sell you local channels from an outside DMA without an issue.

The thing is that if your caught doing it, the worse thing that will happen is that they will change the address on your account to the correct one to get you the local channels you should get.

It is illegal for the satellite company to knowingly provide an out of market local. As long as E* or D* does not know that you moved then they are ok. If they find out you moved and continue to provide the signal then the satellite company is breaking the law. As the sub you are only violating your terms of service. Here is a link to the old SHVERA act. I have not seen the new one yet if there is one. I think they just extended this one for 60 more days.

Yes its Illegal, if it wasn't then satellite companies could sell you local channels from an outside DMA without an issue.

The thing is that if your caught doing it, the worse thing that will happen is that they will change the address on your account to the correct one to get you the local channels you should get.

Since it's an FCC rule... I would think "Illegal" might not be the correct term.. perhaps "Against regulations?

It is illegal for the satellite company to knowingly provide an out of market local. As long as E* or D* does not know that you moved then they are ok. If they find out you moved and continue to provide the signal then the satellite company is breaking the law. As the sub you are only violating your terms of service. Here is a link to the old SHVERA act. I have not seen the new one yet if there is one. I think they just extended this one for 60 more days.

Yes that is right. The key word for sat companies is "KNOWINGLY" selling you out of area locals. As long as you don't tell them the truth and they don't know , you can get your out of dma locals. It 's kind of like "Don't ask ,Don't tell policy" in the military.

First, and most important, don't take advice from anyone who posts that people don't get prosecuted for stealing satellite signals. That is a rediculas statement, of course they do, plenty of news about that.

But this is not a question of stealing. You are paying for it. It is not illegal for you as the consumer and there is no government criminal statute covering getting locals out of your DMA. If discovered, you will simply no longer get them, or I suppose dropped by your provider, but highly unlikely. If anyone disagrees, I want to see the link to the criminal statute that would make this a criminal activity for the consumer.

Whom are you hurting by “moving”?

Dish? No, why would they care? (other than the regulations placed on them.) They would love to be able to sell you any network you would pay for.

It’s the affiliate networks that don’t want to see any other station but theirs. They want you watching local commercials from local sponsors. And Congress/ the FCC has bought into this making regulations to keep their supporters happy.

Does it really matter if you watch Lost on the ABC station from the next town over’s ABC station? To you, no. But to your local ABC station, it does matter.

I think you should be able to watch any station from anywhere. When we could have east and west coast networks, I really enjoyed watching Good Day LA on the Fox station from LA.

Was I hurting anyone? No.

I wasn’t going to watch my local Fox station so their viewership would not have increased.

And with DVRs who watches commericals anyway?

civil not criminal

This is a civil not criminal "crime" so it would at most have some fine. In reality it has to do with the FCC and can only be enforce by them if and when they think it makes any difference to them. They would be hard pressed to go after average Joe that does this. So it is primarily a TOS violation and nothing more.

It's illegal for satellite,but not for cable we live in between two cities the only way for us to get the locals from both cities is to subscribe to Charter cable(who has both cities locals in their programming),or install a big frickin amplified Over The Air antenna.

I believe this is one of many issues that cable lobbied hard against satellite to provide so only cable would have this advantage.

yeah I moved for a long time. Now happily moved home, although oil city PA is a beautiful white area:)

Futher has ANYONE EVER been proscuted or even complained they moved and got in trouble?

NEVER seen such a post:)

I 'moved' for two years (and then 'moved' back about 8 months ago). Something must be up with E*'s systems, cause even though my service address is now back to the same as my billing (and actual) address, I continue to get locals from the DMA I 'moved' back from 8 months ago. (I don't care anymore which one they come from, so I'm just leaving it alone)

didnt' throw the switch

I 'moved' for two years (and then 'moved' back about 8 months ago). Something must be up with E*'s systems, cause even though my service address is now back to the same as my billing (and actual) address, I continue to get locals from the DMA I 'moved' back from 8 months ago. (I don't care anymore which one they come from, so I'm just leaving it alone)

Someone at E* just didn't throw the switch to the LIL when you moved back.

Call me dumb, but I just never get how people get the address to "move" to, do you pull drive by buildings or something? how do you research that???

On line

Call me dumb, but I just never get how people get the address to "move" to, do you pull drive by buildings or something? how do you research that???

Searches online for apts & other locations like apt then you find out how many they have in complex. Then add 1 or 2 to the number. Next google maps let you look at the area. Not that harde but I wouldn't know anything about having done that. :D In past few years have lived in 5 places in the past 5 years and only relocated 3 times. Will be moving & "moving" in the next couple of weeks.

I used the address of a customer a public school. Would never be a regular sub:)

E shipped them a replacement receiver:( They called ansd asked bob why do we have a dish receiver here? with your name on it??

Someone else had the same idea another elementary got a Direct box:(

their next service call was FREE.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)