Is my 622 broken?

mothergoose45

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 4, 2004
My 622 was replaced 2 months ago b/c the hdmi port broke. Tonight I come home and the hard drive is running loud with nothing on the screen. I try to unplug, reboot, everything several times. Same thing, just a loud HD. What gives, is it shot again? Anything I should try. I will not pay another $25 2 months after I recieved a new box to replace it. Any help would be great.

nothing0

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 4, 2008
Evansville, IN
add dhpp. schedule a service call ($29). you have a good chance of getting the 722. thats what happened to me. i had two 622s go bad. the second was replaced with the 722. the service tech didn't have any 622s.

mothergoose45

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 4, 2004
Thats a problem. Im not willing to pay anything. 2 broken ones in 6 months. I ate the first bill they gave me, not this time.

tnsprin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 27, 2003
My 622 was replaced 2 months ago b/c the hdmi port broke. Tonight I come home and the hard drive is running loud with nothing on the screen. I try to unplug, reboot, everything several times. Same thing, just a loud HD. What gives, is it shot again? Anything I should try. I will not pay another $25 2 months after I recieved a new box to replace it. Any help would be great.

A replacement is probably guaranteed for some amount of time. In some states it must be for at least 90 days. Try calling them and find out.

David_Levin

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
Denver, Co
What you are hearing is probably the fans and not the HDD. Is the box hot? The fans run full-speed during boot then usually spin down.

Perhaps you're box is hanging during boot. There have also been reports that the boxes sometimes recover if left alone for a few hours (or overnight). I'd speculate that it might be running a file system (HDD) validation (which can take many hours). If you keep pulling the plug it'll never finish.

shortspark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 11, 2007
texas
What you are hearing is probably the fans and not the HDD. Is the box hot? The fans run full-speed during boot then usually spin down.

Perhaps you're box is hanging during boot. There have also been reports that the boxes sometimes recover if left alone for a few hours (or overnight). I'd speculate that it might be running a file system (HDD) validation (which can take many hours). If you keep pulling the plug it'll never finish.

Exactly. Everytime I have had a problem with my 622 I unplug and leave it alone for half an hour. I then plug it back in and the various lights come on and off. Just leave it alone for a while even though no lights appear. In an hour or two - or more perhaps, it will work. At least it has for me. If nothing happens by the next day then I would say it is toast.

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
Exactly. Everytime I have had a problem with my 622 I unplug and leave it alone for half an hour. I then plug it back in and the various lights come on and off. Just leave it alone for a while even though no lights appear. In an hour or two - or more perhaps, it will work. At least it has for me. If nothing happens by the next day then I would say it is toast.

Have you done any temperature checks? I had a 722 acting up when it was new. Did temperature checks for a couple of weeks. It was warmer than other DVRs so I installed a laptop cooler for it and brought the temp down. Problems went away

shortspark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 11, 2007
texas
Have you done any temperature checks? I had a 722 acting up when it was new. Did temperature checks for a couple of weeks. It was warmer than other DVRs so I installed a laptop cooler for it and brought the temp down. Problems went away

No, I have not done temperature checks but I will next time it acts up (which is not very often). That might give me an indication if it is heat related. My 622 is not enclosed but sitting on an open rack but certainly a fan would help. To the touch, it does not appear to run that hot but a temp check will verify that.

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
No, I have not done temperature checks but I will next time it acts up (which is not very often). That might give me an indication if it is heat related. My 622 is not enclosed but sitting on an open rack but certainly a fan would help. To the touch, it does not appear to run that hot but a temp check will verify that.

Here is a spread sheet I made up to keep track of my temps if you wish to use it to help you track your DVRs.

Attachments

• DVR Temps-1.xls
    42.5 KB · Views: 119

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts