Is my 811 dead? It wouldn't turn on...

heatho

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Last night, before going to bed, my 811 wouldn't turn on. The romote wouldn't turn it on, and niether would the front panel power button. I wasn't able to look at it much last night... and I'll have to wait until I get home to unplug it to see if that works... Could it be dead?? :no

Try a soft reset... hold down the power button around 10 seconds... it takes a few seconds to reboot, then try turning it on.

If that doesn't work.. unplug it for 5 minutes, then plug it back in. This will hard-reset it.

snathanb said:
Try a soft reset... hold down the power button around 10 seconds... it takes a few seconds to reboot, then try turning it on.

If that doesn't work.. unplug it for 5 minutes, then plug it back in. This will hard-reset it.

If that doesn't work, try the following:
Put a credit card sized plastic card in the smart card slot, stand on one foot, wave your arms in the air, sing "The Sound of Music" in Chinese, and remove the card.

That should cure the problem until the next time it happens, which could be never, or could be in one hour.

The good news is Dish promises to fix it in an upcoming software update.

Do I have to sing the whole thing.. or just while I am removing/inserting the card?
Mandarin?
Up and down? In Circles?

Damn it, man! Details, we need Details!

I got home this afternoon and everything seems to be working fine... I didn't reset it or anything... Maybe it was just wanting to sleep last night and dream about the Sound of Music... :)

heatho said:
I got home this afternoon and everything seems to be working fine... I didn't reset it or anything... Maybe it was just wanting to sleep last night and dream about the Sound of Music... :)

Do, a deer, a female deer.....

Had a similar problem this afternoon. Held the power button for 10-15 seconds...nothing...unplugged for a few minutes, plugged back in...nothing. Pulled it out and checked the connections...nothing. Then, while sliding it back into place I accidentally hit the power button again and it came on. Strange.

Mine is doing the same thing. It has done it yesterday and today. Didn't have time to fool with it much, but couldn't get it to power up at all. Frustrating :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)