Is my 811 useless?

jjnemoiii

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
I've got an old E* 811, is it really useful anymore, or would an informed person use it as a paperweight? Got D* last year, never got rid of E* equipment yet.

I've got an old E* 811, is it really useful anymore, or would an informed person use it as a paperweight? Got D* last year, never got rid of E* equipment yet.

Very Soon a Paperweight...But until that time comes you might be able to sell it.

the 811 wortks great for SD channels and has a dececnt OTA HD tuner...and the best part

you get guide info on your locals with no subscription. I use to have my 811 as a HD OTA tuner only....it needs a satellite connection so I rigged up a feed for 119 off another dish I had. Worked great :)

the 811 wortks great for SD channels and has a dececnt OTA HD tuner...and the best part

you get guide info on your locals with no subscription. I use to have my 811 as a HD OTA tuner only....it needs a satellite connection so I rigged up a feed for 119 off another dish I had. Worked great :)

How did you get that to work? I have an 811 and hooked it up to the satellite dish and OTA antenna and I never get past the Activation screen. Please explain how you did it.

no jerry. No subscription. The box had to have been activated at one time. When I cxld Dish April last year I kept the 811 and then hooked it up in the bedroom.

Hooked a line from 119 to the receiver and my OTA antenna. Ran check switch and got 119 only.
Let it do a download and I got
101/480/490
103/500
213 Nasa
240 AAD channel screen
262 Angel One

but on my locals they showed "digital local"..so I slapped a LNB for 110 and reran the scan. Got my locals guide no porblems

Thread about the guide info
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...-locals-through-them-get-locals-info-ota.html

and whats available from Dish
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/140319-whats-available-fta-dish.html

also I know someone who did this about 2 weeks ago. They are using a previously subbed 811 for NASA and his OTA locals

no jerry. No subscription. The box had to have been activated at one time. When I cxld Dish April last year I kept the 811 and then hooked it up in the bedroom.

Hooked a line from 119 to the receiver and my OTA antenna. Ran check switch and got 119 only.
Let it do a download and I got
101/480/490
103/500
213 Nasa
240 AAD channel screen
262 Angel One

but on my locals they showed "digital local"..so I slapped a LNB for 110 and reran the scan. Got my locals guide no porblems

Thread about the guide info
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...-locals-through-them-get-locals-info-ota.html

and whats available from Dish
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/140319-whats-available-fta-dish.html

also I know someone who did this about 2 weeks ago. They are using a previously subbed 811 for NASA and his OTA locals

My 811 was $10 at a garage sale. I can't get it to past the actvation screen. Is there a trick to that? Don't you get that screen too?

You could activate it, Dish has a welcome pack for $10. You have to keep it connected to a satellite dish even if you decide to deactivate it.

Never subscribed units won't let you watch the free channels like NASA and in the 811s case the OTA. Newer ViP models disabled the OTA tuner when deactivated.

Like I said, I got it at a garage sale for $10, so it probably was already activated before. My question is, how folks with a deactivated receiver can still watch the free channels without getting the activation screen prompt. How do you circumvent that?

I dont know why you would get the activation screen. I just hooked mine back up and it powered up just fine...no activation screen

I dont know why you would get the activation screen. I just hooked mine back up and it powered up just fine...no activation screen

I guess I'll try again. does it still get the EPG? Would it still run OTA without Dish connected? I know without it wouldn't get EPG, but I have no satellite hook-ups left, I just wanna use it as OTA HD tuner.

yeah sadly you need satellite connection. I unhooked my sat connection and it worked for like 2 seconds than said "signal lost"

I dont know about the EPG as Minneapolis locals through dish are on 110 and I only used 119. For it to map the sat box has to see the sat that your locals (through Dish) are on

I used to leave my 811 sat port disconnected for a couple days at a time, I was sharing its connection with another box. After a day or two it would pop up the No signal screen, I would connect it long enough to reload the sats and return to OTA and then unplug again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)