Is my AT9 dish aligned?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hoss

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Glendale, AZ
There was a strong wind storm here in Phoenix last night and I am afraid it caused my AT9 dish to move slightly. I noticed that the picture for the locals (ABC, NBC, etc.) is horrible, but the other channels seem ok. I have the H20 receiver and a signal strength of 75 on the 101, 59 on the 119 and 67 on the 110. I did not check the 99 or 103 yet. I hate to call an installer out, but I may have to unless it is easy to tweak the dish. Any suggestions?

Can you define 'horrible'?

The strengths do seem a little low (even for a H20), you should be getting high 70s-80ish levels, but depending on what you mean by horrible, you either get the channels, or not (dropouts), if it were signals being dropped.

No - it is mounted on a pole. It appears that a few of the bolts were not tightened properly and the dish rotated a little last night. I have adjusted it to get a better signal (77) for the 101 sat. but the locals are still not coming in properly. I don't have any fancy installation equipment so I may have to call the installation guys to tweak the alignment. If I get a peak on the 101, can I further tweak it off another sat.?

Hoss said:
No - it is mounted on a pole. It appears that a few of the bolts were not tightened properly and the dish rotated a little last night. I have adjusted it to get a better signal (77) for the 101 sat. but the locals are still not coming in properly. I don't have any fancy installation equipment so I may have to call the installation guys to tweak the alignment. If I get a peak on the 101, can I further tweak it off another sat.?

I beleive it is the same as the 3 lnb, in that if you get a good peak on the 101, the other sats should just snap into place, but, it is a bit more complex, so YMMV.

Maybe the list below of which sat carries what, can help you figure out what to peak, copied from a post by charper1:

99.2 - has HD LIL
101.0 - has core programming & some HD DNS & locals
102.8 - has HD LIL
109.8 - has National HD
119.0 - has National HD & locals

Hope it helps.

The AT9 is not as simple to align as the Phase 3, get a skilled technician out with tuning meter to get it done right. You say it is mounted on a pole is that a pole concreted into the ground?

Yes, the pole is secured by about two feet of cement. There is no way that the pole Will ever move. Directv said they would send out a technician next week to get the dish aligned properly. I had no idea that the alignment had to be so precise. I spent a great deal of time today getting a peak off the 101 and 119 and the locals are still messed up. I guess it is time to call out a professional. Thanks for the help guys.

I live in the phoenix area and Friday night this happened to me as well its not your dish I had severe pixilization on all locals only. It was something with the broadcast. I called direct tv and as usual got a different story from every person i talked to none of them said it was a problem with them. Is yours corrected now? Mine works fine. They are still sending out a tech this saturday to make sure. Im on my 4th hd20 box now 2 hd20 100's that dont work via hdmi on my samsung tv and one h20 600 that would work on hdmi but had terrible audio sync problems. Another box is on the way i dont know what model im getting but im really tired of the problems. Albeit i can say that they gave me 3 months of showtime for free for my problems today so i shouldnt complain i guess. :)

Ken

I wish I had known that. I spent a great deal of time trying to align my dish this past weekend after being told that they showed NO problems with the Phoenix locals. I then assumed that the alignment on my dish was messed up. I am now receiving the locals again and I show a signal strength of 94 on sat. 103 transponder 16.

Yeah I agree. Ive had nothing but problems when contacting them for pretty much anything no one really knows what they are talking about. I guarantee when i called in that i wasnt the only one having problems with phoenix locals but they seemed oblivious to the problem. I still think the best was when they told me to live with my h20 100 box (it wont connect via hdmi) because component is just as good and that they will be sending out upgrades to the box so it will work on hdmi. I said what??? I just bought a 3000 dollar Samsung dlp with an hdmi cable and i want it hooked up via hdmi and they said there is nothing we can do for you since you get a picture on compenent. I replied my friends and familys work on hdmi but too bad for me??!?!?!? Needless to say i got supervisor and they agreed to send me a new h20 who knows whether it will be a 100 or 600 but no one there really has a knowledge of there product and its very dissapointing to me. With the brief research over the internet ive pretty much learned of all the common problems of the box whenever i bring this up to anyone there they simply disregard it and say thats doesnt matter my problem is different and that they know nothing of any problems with anything. Oh well im on a rant but after so many phone calls and so many different box's ive lost confidence in them as a whole. I stay for one reason only....Sunday ticket....i know im not the only one thats in this boat.

Status
Please reply by conversation.