Is my OTA tuner fried?

havok019

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I've had OTA HD problems since May. I thought the issue was related to software. I had a lot of drops, signal would be up and then yellow screen and then back to picture. It was like this on all my OTA channels using my 622, worst on NBC. But plugging the antenna into my TV tuner brought in every channel in crystal beautiful HD. I blame software and live with it.

Dish upgrades the software and my OTA HD was ok for about a week and then it went completely out. I go in guide, select my channel and it goes immediately to the yellow screen. It doesn't matter what OTA channel, they all do this. There is no in and out of the picture as before. I still get HD through the TV tuner fine so the antenna is positioned ok.

I've tried soft rebooting and hard rebooting. Still can't get OTA. I've tried deleting a channel and then adding it, doesn't work. I get absolutely nothing on signal strength meter. It's like my antenna doesn't exist, but I know it's working from the TV tuner.

I call Tech and they put me through the rigors of all this satellite detail stuff. Why, I don't know. My satellite reception is fine. It's my OTA tuner that's messed. After barely making it through the broken English conversion for an hour, the guy wants to send out a repairman at the cost of $30. I'm not paying $30 so they can swap my box out. I tell them to send me a new box, and they transfer me to Advanced Tech support and put me back on hold for a half hour before I hang up.

Does this sound like I need a new box? I think my OTA tuner is toast and I have no idea why. Nothing strange happened. It just stopped working.

If so, what do you think it's the best way to do this? I'd like to keep my programs on the DVR. I could be willing to pay the activation fee for an external drive, but would that activation transfer to the new 622?

If they are going to charge me $30 to send somebody to the house, would it be better to upgrade to the 722 and have them come out for free for the upgrade (I know I got to pay something for the upgrade, but it may be worth it)?

Thanks for the help. The wife is about finished with Dish at this point.

Several folks reported that the software changed set their HDTV setup to cable instead of Air. Have you checked that?

I've had OTA HD problems since May. I thought the issue was related to software. I had a lot of drops, signal would be up and then yellow screen and then back to picture. It was like this on all my OTA channels using my 622, worst on NBC. But plugging the antenna into my TV tuner brought in every channel in crystal beautiful HD. I blame software and live with it.

Dish upgrades the software and my OTA HD was ok for about a week and then it went completely out. I go in guide, select my channel and it goes immediately to the yellow screen. It doesn't matter what OTA channel, they all do this. There is no in and out of the picture as before. I still get HD through the TV tuner fine so the antenna is positioned ok.

I've tried soft rebooting and hard rebooting. Still can't get OTA. I've

tried deleting a channel and then adding it, doesn't work. I get absolutely nothing on signal strength meter. It's like my antenna doesn't exist, but I know it's working from the TV tuner.

I call Tech and they put me through the rigors of all this satellite detail stuff. Why, I don't know. My satellite reception is fine. It's my OTA tuner that's messed. After barely making it through the broken English conversion for an hour, the guy wants to send out a repairman at the cost of $30. I'm not paying $30 so they can swap my box out. I tell them to send me a new box, and they transfer me to Advanced Tech support and put me back on hold for a half hour before I hang up.

Does this sound like I need a new box? I think my OTA tuner is toast and I have no idea why. Nothing strange happened. It just stopped working.

If so, what do you think it's the best way to do this? I'd like to keep my programs on the DVR. I could be willing to pay the activation fee for an external drive, but would that activation transfer to the new 622?

If they are going to charge me $30 to send somebody to the house, would it be better to upgrade to the 722 and have them come out for free for the upgrade (I know I got to pay something for the upgrade, but it may be worth it)?

Thanks for the help. The wife is about finished with Dish at this point.

My 622 lost OTA local channels yesterday. I called a Dish tech he was no help. I started checking it out myself and I discovered that somehow under the HDTV setup that Analog Type was changed from offair to Cable. I changed it back and now my OTA’s work fine. Menu System Setup 6, HDTV Setup 8.

Yeah, that fixed it for me and I am so happy!. Nasty little thing. Thanks for the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)