Is PRESS TV GONE ON 97w??? Can someone please check because I dont get it anymore..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
What am I missing? Press TV is coming in loud and clear right now on 12029. It's not my go-to station but I watched Ken Livingstone a few days ago and it seems to be there every time I look for it.

That must be "Red Ken" former mayor of London?

I am happy to report that Press TV is still on air here a week after it was "banned".

An economic embargo against Iran is one thing but banning their TV channel is too much. It reminds me of the way the Soviets carried on jamming shortwave broadcasts years ago.

Ken is an old-fashion-stir-the-pot kind of guy good for keeping folks in the fray and in the game...or at least in the cheap seats. I don't think he attracts much of a crowd on Wall Street.

Further reading on the situation indicates yet another proud moment in 'he started it' international diplomacy. Be it true or not there are reports indicating Iran was blocking channels as well. Banning, as always, lends gravity to even the least significant point of view. Driving people to the web to see what is no longer available on FTA seems a counter-intuitive marketing plan for any satellite company and I would think they would fight it all the way to the bank.

Access to international news and views is one of the truly great benefits of FTA. Avoiding those with whom we may disagree is no way to meet changes the future assures.

Last edited:
I don't watch PressTV, don't care for it, but IRIB2, iFilm (Persian), and HispanTV have been enjoyed in our household for a long time now. But I want PressTV available, the political situation notwithstanding. In terms of the freedom to examine disparate even unpopular ideas, we're in the possession of a moral high horse -- why shoot it in the head? Instead, saddle it up.

When I used to correspond with an Iranian man, my political discussions with him were often subtle, just telling him I watch his TV and movies would send home the point regarding in the wild amount of freedom we enjoy here. He wanted these freedoms too. For the record, I wouldn't want people to forget that when 9/11 happened, ordinary Iranians took to the streets of Tehran for impromptu candlelight vigils whereas some of our middle eastern allies citizens gleefully cheered on the attack.

I used to like to send people to this article, which presents a view of Iran from a foreigners' perspective, boots on the ground. Motorcycle boots. It's dated, but still good stuff.

http://www.spiritsofadventure.com/journal/iran/Iran.htm

For what it's worth at this late date, I see the US government has had regulations in effect that can be invoked to prohibit the sale of satellite transmission services to Iran, in this case Pitcomm maybe got a notice to take it down. Maybe another nation is now subleasing and handling the billing as the workaround. See section C 4.

§ 560.210

Exempt transactions.

(a) Personal communications. The prohibitions of §§ 560.204 and 560.206 do not apply to any postal, telegraphic, telephonic, or other personal communication, which does not involve the transfer of anything of value.

(b) Humanitarian donations. The prohibitions of §§ 560.204 and 560.206 do not apply to donations by United States persons of articles, such as food, clothing, and medicine, intended to be used to relieve human suffering.

(c) Information and informational materials.

(1) The importation from any country and the exportation to any country of information and informational materials as defined in § 560.315, whether commercial or otherwise, regardless of format or medium of transmission, are exempt from the prohibitions and regulations of this part.

(2) This section does not exempt from regulation or authorize transactions related to information and informational materials not fully created and in existence at the date of the transactions, or to the substantive or artistic alteration or enhancement of informational materials, or to the provision of marketing and business consulting services. Transactions that are prohibited notwithstanding this section include, but are not limited to, payment of advances for information and informational materials not yet created and completed (with the exception of prepaid subscriptions for widely circulated magazines and other periodical publications), and provision of services to market, produce or co-produce, create or assist in the creation of information and informational materials.

(3) This section does not exempt from regulation or authorize transactions incident to the exportation of software subject to the Export Administration Regulations ( 15 CFR parts 730-774 ).

(4) This section does not exempt from regulation or authorize the exportation of goods (including software) or technology or the sale or leasing of telecommunications transmission facilities (such as satellite links or dedicated lines) where such exportation, sale or leasing is for use in the transmission of any data.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)