Is Shaq worth 20million per year?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I heard that on the Radio that the Heat are about to give him a contract worth 100million dollars for 5 years. For a guy who has been injured in the playoffs (when it matters), I wonder if Miami is putting all their eggs on one basket and give him too much money. For the last two seasons he has been injured during the playoffs and his performance has not been the same.

In a word...no! Shaq has been a force, but his best years are behind him and, unfortunately, I don't see him lasting more than a year or two as an elite player. Even so, I wouldn't offer any player more than 100k to play on my team...of course, that's assuming they have graduated from college and have passed basic aptitude tests. No thugs, thieves, murderers or dummies in my league. Hmmm. It's kind of like what the NBA used to be 30+ years ago... :no

Well 20 million seems like peanuts compared to what they will make in return. He has revitalized the interest in basketball in Southern Florida. That is a very hard thing to do in an area that only really has one true fan base and thats for the Dolphins and Hurricanes. I think it was a smart move.

Yes the club will see returns on their investment in Shaq but with a salary cap in place that leaves little money for other quality players. Is it guaranteed??

With the new CBA, I can't say for sure, but I know Grant Hill couldn't give his salary back to Orlando when he was laid up for a few years with his bum ankle.

Miami made a trade to add Antoine Walker, Jayson Williams and James Posey. Signing Shaq to the new deal saved them $10+ million this year and gave them the flexibilty to sign Walker. Shaq was due 30.6 million this year, but he opted out of that contract and signed the 5 year deal instead.

Chado said:
Well 20 million seems like peanuts compared to what they will make in return. He has revitalized the interest in basketball in Southern Florida. That is a very hard thing to do in an area that only really has one true fan base and thats for the Dolphins and Hurricanes. I think it was a smart move.

strongly agree.

I would say that the Heat organization is gambling BIG time. Let's face it Shaq is turing old and chances of a major injury in the next 2 or 3 season are BIG.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)