Is That a Dish or a Picnic Table?- Early 80s Ad Scans 56k beware!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Techfizzle

Banned
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
here are some ad scans from a few 81-85 mother earth news magazines. I would like to know what the first on is Ive never seen anything like it. It is from '81
21kwj9t.jpg

2wh4k5k.jpg

oh0aw8.jpg

27ygc1.jpg

Last edited:
Growing up with Mother Earth news I remember these ads. Funny, kids should be reading other things but we really enjoyed reading these.

I saw one of these home brew dishes locally. It sat on a cement slab behind their house and was on casters so you could move to a different satellite. Ah the days of real fun dish projects.

Oh BTW it looked like the first one there.

I had dreams of building the second one there after seeing HBO for free at a neighbors house. But lacking enough aluminum cans to pay for thr project it never got off the ground.

The first one, at the top of the page is a spherical antenna. I remember them in the magazines, don't think I ever actually saw one working. I just read about them in my book " build a personal earth station for worldwide satellite tv reception"(1982), it says you set the reflector and leave it alone. The feed- lna is located out front on a post independent of the reflector. It was possible to move the feed +-20 degrees right to left and get reception on several satellites. It goes on to say you could have multiple feeds-lnas but I remember the cost of those things at the time and I bet not many people had more than one.
There is a dish that looks identical to the dish on the second page about 100 miles from where I live. I've seen it a few times in my travels and always curse about forgetting my camera. Got to get those pictures some day and talk to whoever built it....if they are still around

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts