Is the 622 outdated now that 622-1 is coming?

Never, I guess they are using a new broadcom chip which has it built in (the old chip was no longer available) and that feature is built in to it.

Again there are no plans to use that feature, but at a tech show, its great for them to toot their horn that their hardware supports this feature.

Actually, first implemented BCM7411 is _capable_ of decompressing video with VC-1 Advanced profile ( up to 135 Mbps, ie 1920x1080p 60 fps).

Dish really needs to make these receivers upgradable and I have been stressing this for years.

I'd say by the time Dish would even think about using the VC-1 - if they wait two years - something new and better will be out by that time.

Current 622 is OK, probably need to replace some component between BCM7411 and HDMI chip to accomodate high rate for promised 1080p ;). Remember, Dish mention ( I mean Scott ) a couple months ago ?

Dish would probably release a new receiver before using that VC-1 as they figure if they are going to have to swap everybody out to do even better compression, they might as well do it right with the latest and greatest. They will probably look at IPTV as the next replacement.

I would hope by 2009 they will figure out how they are going to offer broadband without the use of satellites and a bundling package. I only see possibly a few more years of growth before they start losing customers. This is probably one reason why they have ethernet connections in their receivers so that they can change the method of delivery to the customers if need be.

Ok I asked yesterday about the VC-1, Dish says it will be about 2 years before they use it (maybe if they use it at all):)

OK That's Great... I guess we can expect the typical from them then....

"They announce this to everyone on the next Charlie Chat and say they expect to use it soon, then we all sit around and wait two years for them to actually use it." :eek:

Which will be first? RSN's? VC-1? Picture X Picture?

Given the projection of 2 years, I pick VC-1!

"It's About Time" :D :cool:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)