Is the 622 outdated now that 622-1 is coming?

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
The Dish Network Press Conference talked about the 622-1 supporting the VC-1 codec. Does this mean that my $600 ViP-622 is now out of date compared to a FREE ViP-622-1?

Can the 622 be firmware updated to decode VC-1? Probably not! That's why they added the "-1" at the end.

Last edited:
rent, don't buy!

That's why you should rent instead of buying... :p If you rent, you can cancel or call them up to get a free upgrade hopefully...

no you can't

dish sticks you with the equipment you get when you rent.

you can give it back or upgrade, but those have waiting periods and commitments

The Dish Network Press Conference talked about the 622-1 supporting the VC-1 codec. Does this mean that my $600 ViP-622 is now out of date compared to a FREE ViP-622-1?

Can the 622 be firmware updated to decode VC-1? Probably not! That's why they added the "-1" at the end.

Hard to say. DISH has some history with spinning a new model number for a firmware change and then backfilling the older model eventually. Examples include the 4700 -> 4900 and the 522 -> 625. Since the main announced change was a CODEC addition, it may be possible to do it through a firmware upgrade.

On the 'other' website someone posted slides from the E* presentation. One was a picture of how you'd use a Homeplug product to connect to the internet.

On one side was a picture of a homeplug net connector plugged into a broadband connection, the other picture was a just a 622 plugged in to the AC socket on the other end. The assumption is the new boxes will have homeplug tech built into it. I have to wonder if that is the major difference between ViP622 and ViP622-1 :confused:

The homeplug stuff is already built into the 622. It just hasn't been enabled yet.

As far as I can tell, the only differences between the 622 and the -1 ("dash 1") model are the VC-1 decoding and the bigger HDD.

And is the 622-1 model the "free" one they are talking about, or are the freebies merely the older models so they can clear them out of the warehouse....?

Not a huge deal, unless they decide to bag Mpeg4 and start going with VC-1 for their compression.... Reminds me of the 942 fiasco, where we knew that new channels were coming that the "new" boxes couldn't receive...

well VC-1 is a nice idea.. maby VC-1 can be setup in the 622's software? or even a USB expansion card?

no matter how i look at it.. a larger HD would be nice, but come on.. i want my 622 to allow me to offload some movies that i want to hold on to for later!! USB HD please come soon!!!

Scott- is the VC-1 in the ViP622 (no dash 1) as someone has posted, or is it able to be loaded into it later, or never?

Never, I guess they are using a new broadcom chip which has it built in (the old chip was no longer available) and that feature is built in to it.

Again there are no plans to use that feature, but at a tech show, its great for them to toot their horn that their hardware supports this feature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts