Is the AM21 FREE for new installs in Mkts w/o all HD Locals?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gpetrowich

Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
So I am getting installed tomorrow and my market does not have the full compliment of HD locals (no PBS or IND or mutli-cast). I can't seem to get the Direct Phone folks to confirm whether the installer will or will not have the AM21 on the truck and even if he does, whether it is free. The CSR insisted that the new HD DVR 22 has an OTA tuner already inside. I don't agree.

The only DIRECTV HD DVR that has OTA tuners built in is the HR20.

You'd think an AM21 would be free but it's not. They charge you $50 for it.

The extra OTA tuner parts in the HR20 probably only cost $5-$10 I'm guessing, but now they charge $50 for OTA add-on. I guess they figure they can save a few bucks on the HD DVRs by not having built in OTA stuff and screw the customer by charging $50 for an AM21.
:rolleyes:

I'm guessing the installer will say - What ?, Did I bring an AM21 ? What's an AM21 ?

Last edited:
I lived in a no-locals market and the CSR was clueless on what the AM21 was. After consulting with her supervisor, they would not budge on the $50 charge.

The thing that worked for me is I specifically requested the HR20 to put in the tech installation notes, and I got two of them. Yes they are older, have a smaller hard drive, but they are still great machines, plus they have integrated OTA tuners without the extra $100 I would have had to pay.

No we do not provide free AM21 because you dont have hd locals

If you did not have locals at all it would be different.

If you want hd Network feeds you can apply for a HD DNS waiver.

No we do not provide free AM21 because you dont have hd locals

If you did not have locals at all it would be different.

If you want hd Network feeds you can apply for a HD DNS waiver.
I had no locals at all at the time I ordered, and it was not any different. They were going to charge $50 for the AM21.

Then you did not do it right.

We have a promotion where you can get an free am21 if your in a no local area. Been around for ever.

Even though the free AM21 promotion been around for ever, every time I've ever heard mention of an AM21 on this forum and any other forum ever since the AM21 was released the person has to pay $50 for it.

Last edited:
Then you did not do it right.

We have a promotion where you can get an free am21 if your in a no local area. Been around for ever.
Didn't do what right? I called more than once and asked about it before ordering. Each time they came back and said I had to pay $50 for each tuner.

Maybe if all CSRs and their supervisors were all on the same page, they would be doing it right by informing the would-be customer about this promotion.

Even though the free AM21 promotion been around for ever, every time I've ever heard mention of an AM21 on this forum and any other forum ever since the AM21 was released the person has to pay $50 for it.
There were all kinds of people that got them for free when they were first released - myself included. And I do have locals available in my area. I made one call asking for one, and I got it.

I can't speak for today, but it was by no means uncommon to get them for free after the initial release.

Way it supposed to work is if your in an area not serviced by locals through us you can have 1 free am21. Either with or without discounted OTA install .

Any tuners past that well are 50.

Not sure why they did not mention it ..... Unless there was som reason why you wouldnt qualify for it.

If you are not under contract anymore, it's easy to get one free. I got one free just the other day, as well as a promise that if I order a second box, I can get another for free.

As it turns out, the installer wasn't able to get the HR22 to activate, and so I ended up just keeping my HR20. But DirecTV still sent the AM21 and said I could keep it regardless.

I Got my AM21 Free I called D* and told the CSR that my Kids needed to watch PBS programs for school, and the Programs are only on the PBSHD channels.. I also reminded them how since 2007 they said that PBSHD will be in all cities that have the station avbl...

Getting AM 21 Tuner

I am a new Directv subscriber and they do not carry locals in my market. I have called 3 times trying to get them to give me an AM21 to no avail. They will not do it. They want to charge $55. I guess $50 for the receiver and $5 for shipping. Does anyone know the trick to get them to send me one. I have asked can the bill me other the next 6 month. Half price. All the CSR's have been nice but I get a no to getting at least one free AM21. Any Direct CSR's out there.... What's the clue.

thanx

Here's what stonecold said -
Way it supposed to work is if your in an area not serviced by locals through us you can have 1 free am21. Either with or without discounted OTA install .
Any tuners past that well are 50.
Not sure why they did not mention it ..... Unless there was som reason why you wouldnt qualify for it.

Either he's wrong or else he just hasn't told all the CSRs that this is how it's supposed to work.:haha

No free AM21

I wonder if Stonecold can respond and give a clue as how to get one. I'm not trying to get on illegitimately. I need some help. Maybe he has a clue or can help figure out why I can't seem to get an AM21 from Direct. I would appreciate it. Wonder why I wouldn't qualify. The CSR's agree there is no locals but they will not budge.

I wonder if Stonecold can respond and give a clue as how to get one. I'm not trying to get on illegitimately. I need some help. Maybe he has a clue or can help figure out why I can't seem to get an AM21 from Direct. I would appreciate it. Wonder why I wouldn't qualify. The CSR's agree there is no locals but they will not budge.

PM me with your zip code and will see what I can do and I pm the detials on the offer

Edit: Apparently the Free AM21 offer is no longer available to most customers, but is sometimes use as a rentention offer.

Stonecold,

My zip is 36109, I'm within my 30 days of new service so I don't know how retention works in this situation. You can email me directly at ecmunster@att.net if u wish also.

Given this statement:

Edit: Apparently the Free AM21 offer is no longer available to most customers, but is sometimes use as a rentention offer.

I doubt Stonecold could do much for you. Retention is the cancellation department, and I doubt you'd be able to convience them that you would cancel since you can't get a free ota device, if you know what I mean.

Sounds like there are no more free AM21s.

Given this statement:

I doubt Stonecold could do much for you. Retention is the cancellation department, and I doubt you'd be able to convience them that you would cancel since you can't get a free ota device, if you know what I mean.

Sounds like there are no more free AM21s.

Yeah we use to have a order code for the free am21s, no longer there.

Now it basically a rention offer as rentention will order it have it put on your bill and then issue credit to offset the order.

Only thing they do now is people with no locals in the area can get a special intall ation deal where for 99 dollars we will install an OTA antenna for the customer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)