Is the amplifier needed for close OTA stations?

andrzej

Board Certified User
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 18, 2004
Boston subs
I was curious how much worse the OTA signal is without the provided amplifier for the stealth antenna so I disconnected it. I am close to the transmission towers (7 miles) and have no tall trees or buildings around. With the amplifier the OTA signal was ~46 and the quality was ~80. Without the amplifier the power is ~45 and the quality is still ~80. I guess I am not losing anything without it. Is it normal or maybe my amplifier is dead? I have two separate cables entering the house and I don't use the diplexer module. Is it possible that for a relatively strong signal it cannot get any better, which makes the amplifier obsolete? Any comments?

Andrzej

i think those are good numbers,no need for an amp.7 miles is close and amping it might actually hurt.Since you see no change in the numbers something isnt right.But why change a good thing??

andrzej said:
Is it normal or maybe my amplifier is dead? I have two separate cables entering the house and I don't use the diplexer module. Andrzej
Andrej:

Is it possible that your antenna was assembled WITHOUT the amplified card? There have been some reports of bad installs where this piece was left out of the Stealth antenna (the antenna was assembled with the default, non-amplified card instead) yet the installer did plug in the power injector piece. Maybe an amplified antenna circuit card would function perfectly fine without power sent to it but to bring a Stealth antenna back to its non-amplified configuration should require the power adapter to be removed AND swapping out the amplified card for the original one. Again, maybe the amplified card works fine both with and without power, I don't know but I'll give it a try this weekend and find out.

subdude...
I'm curious to know where is this card located? Is it on the antenna itself? How can I verify if it's amplified or not?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts