Is the Dish CSR lying to me? (RE: OTA Program Guide info)

Based on all the posts, I've figured it out (cue Monk music).

Original Poster (shantyman) has his HD coming from 61.5 . So, even though he subscribes to the Cincinnati locals on 110, he cannot get Dayton OTA Guide Info, because Dayton locals are on 129.

Shantyman, am I right ?

I can't speak for Shantyman but I'll presume his HD comes off of 129'. He appears to be a new customer to Dish so it's not likely he has a 61.5 dish for any reason. Dayton locals do come off of 129' (I can say that for sure) and Cincy's probably do come off of 110' or 119'. Heh, if that's the case, and the presumption that guide data comes off the same satellite as the actual channels (I didn't know that was definitely the case), he should be getting data.

Just looked at the virtual channel list at EKB (EKB: EPG Virtual Channels Chart) and while that list is VERY incomplete, it only lists (1) Dayton sub-channel, 45-2, MyTV, and it's guide data comes off of ... 110'. Wouldn't the other Dayton sub-channels also ? I'll search for the uplink thread that showed when we started receiving the sub-channel guide data.

14946 - WHIO2 [EPG] added to EchoStar5 129W TP 05 ConUS beam (Not Available)
14682 - WDTN2 [EPG] added to EchoStar5 129W TP 05 ConUS beam (Not Available)
14683 - WKEF2 [EPG] added to EchoStar5 129W TP 05 ConUS beam (Not Available)
14244 - WPTD3 [EPG] added to EchoStar5 129W TP 05 ConUS beam (Not Available)
14245 - WPTD4 [EPG] added to EchoStar5 129W TP 05 ConUS beam (Not Available)
14246 - WPTD5 [EPG] added to EchoStar5 129W TP 05 ConUS beam (Not Available)
14247 - WPTD6 [EPG] added to EchoStar5 129W TP 05 ConUS beam (Not Available)

While I was getting my local network channels via OTA Dish was providing Network equivalents from their only source at the time which was Eastern versions of local network channels. As soon as they made my local network channels available the eastern feed went away.

Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't make sense.

Hall. What I was trying to say is that dish carries the channels that I get OTA on the 148 sat. As long as my receiver thinks that satellite is connected and that those channels are a possibility, I get the epg data for the OTA equivalant. If I clear my switch after disconnecting the 148 dish, then my OTA guide data is no longer downloaded because my receiver doesn't have dishes equivalant to my OTA channel in its configuration anymore. I don't know where the epg data comes from, but I don't have to have the 148 satellite connected to get the guide data for the channels on that sat as long as my receiver and switch have that satellite in its configuration.

Based on all the posts, I've figured it out (cue Monk music).

Original Poster (shantyman) has his HD coming from 61.5 . So, even though he subscribes to the Cincinnati locals on 110, he cannot get Dayton OTA Guide Info, because Dayton locals are on 129.

Shantyman, am I right ?

This technospeak is admittedly beyond me.

Do I have any recourse? I can't see keeping Dish if I don't have EPG info for the big 4 networks (over 75% of my TV watching).

Odds are you've got a D1000. It sees the 110', 119', and 129' satellites. Main programming is on 110' and 119', including Cincy's locals. 129' has most (or all) of the HD programming you recieve. Also, 129' has Dayton's locals so the guide data for the OTA Dayton channels which means you can "see" the guide data.

I have some new info thanks to some help from a buddy. I am not getting 129, but instead 61.5. My invoice was not marked with the model as you might expect.

In theory, to make a change, does this require an installer to come out?

I'm thinking your friends are 'lying" to you (but not intentionally) . Dish only displays guide info for OTA stations that they carry. For example, here in Atlanta I do not get the guide info for the ION stations as they are not carried by Dish; but I do get the info for any station that they carry in my DMA. If you go on the Dish web site you can determine the stations that they carry for your address, and therefore should have the guide info for.

Slightly different take on this here. I 'moved' to Dallas, but live in Austin. I subscribe to E* locals (Dallas on 110) and get my OTA channels from Austin. E* doesnt have HD Locals in Austin yet, but I do get OTA EPG for all of the Austin HD Local channels that my 622 picks up, including PBS, and its subchannels - even though E* doesnt provide Austin HDs. (Austin SD locals are on 119)

So I dont get my Austin OTA EPG info from the same sat as I get my Dallas HD locals (Austin on 119 and Dallas on 110), yet I do get OTA EPG for all the OTAs that my 622 picks up.

I'm presuming I'll see reposnses that "E* really 'does' carry your Austin stations, even though only the SD version, so that's why you get EPG for the Austin HDs"? (the one response I'd have to that potential response is "true, however the 622 is smart enough to provide EPG for the PBS subchannel that E* doesnt even carry").

Though this page is woefully out of date, EKB: EPG Virtual Channels Chart
It provides which satellite the EPG info is coming from for many of the OTA channels and sub-channels.

The theory that you MUST be able to get the correct satellite to get the OTA EPG holds true. DOH!! It was such a simple thing. One can get the OTA EPG info if:
1)that person subscribes to local SD channels via Dish
2)can "see" the satellite where the EPG info is being sent from.

The only Dayton channel I get the EPG for is 45.2. The only Dayton channel EPB info at 110° happens to be 45.2!

15012 WRGT-DT2 My Network TV Dayton OH WRGT2 27s19 27 110°

Tony, ironically, many of us in Dayton no longer get guide data for 45-2 (or 45-1). Some glitch that Dish claims to be aware of and are working on.... But you get the guide data.

I'm pretty sure you've got a 622 receiver, right ? And odds are pretty good you have a dish pointed at 129', which is where Dayton's SD locals are from.

This is so inconsistent that I'm about ready to quit trying to figure it out or understand it.

E* doesnt have HD Locals in Austin yet, but I do get OTA EPG for all of the Austin HD Local channels that my 622 picks up, including PBS, and its subchannels - even though E* doesnt provide Austin HDs. (Austin SD locals are on 119)
Whether or not Dish carries your HD locals via satellite has NO bearing on this feature.
I'm presuming I'll see reposnses that "E* really 'does' carry your Austin stations, even though only the SD version, so that's why you get EPG for the Austin HDs"? (the one response I'd have to that potential response is "true, however the 622 is smart enough to provide EPG for the PBS subchannel that E* doesnt even carry").
The sub-channels that Dish provides guide data for is a combination of the "virtual" channels (see the link to EKB website above) and programming that maps the guide data that Dish receives to the virtual channels that they have available.

I have 2 dishes, so apparently I don't have a 1000 (more sleuthing with my buddy). Is there any reason I did not get a 1000? This install was only 16 days ago. My friend I have been working with said I would have the correct satellites (ie 129 instead of 61.5) if a 1000 had been installed. His theory is the installer was trying to clear out some old equipment.

I would think I would have some recourse in getting the proper equipment, especially if it will help me get EPG info that I need and I don't own it. Aesthetically I and the condo association I am a part of would much rather one dish to 2 as well.

Thoughts? I want to say thanks for everyone who has been helping me with this.

Okay, do this on your remote:

MENU, 6,1,1 Check Switch

What satellites are listed ??

You may have (2) Dish 500s, one pointed at 110' and 119', and the other pointed at 129' by itself. That's NOT a bad thing to have.

Okay, do this on your remote:

MENU, 6,1,1 Check Switch

What satellites are listed ??

You may have (2) Dish 500s, one pointed at 110' and 119', and the other pointed at 129' by itself. That's NOT a bad thing to have.

I will do the check switch when I have a moment, but I know I am not pointed at 129.

UPDATE:

I talked again to a tech and tried to tell them I needed to be pointed to 129 instead of 61.5, and they said they would not do it. Straight up. He offered to send a tech out to "check things out" but explicitly said there would be no adjustment of the dish(es). It's very frustrating to know more than the CSR about what is going on and they ignore what you are saying.

When I told him of my friend also in the Cincinnati DMA getting Dayton locals, he said that was because he was in a different zip code.

The bottom line is I am getting a different level of service fro other customers, and that is simply unacceptable. I am going to cancel my service as soon as I am caught up on my recorded shows.