Is the HD GUI update strictly cosmetic or something more?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

smitbret

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
East Idaho
Just wondering if the HD GUI update changes anything as far as streaming local media to the HR24/H24 receivers.

With my DLNA setup, I'm able to stream all of my locally stored media to any of the 4 receivers/DVRs. Playback is pretty seamless but I am unable to FFW or Rew through any of the audio or video files. I have tried a couple of different DLNA software packages and have been working with their support teams, but no one has found a workaround to allow FF/Rew.

Has anyone had any luck with the new update?

That's what I was afraid of. Oh well, still looking forward to the new GUI since that's been my biggest complaint since switching over from E*.

I think DirecTV is afraid to make too many changes at once. People in general hate changes. Do too many and DirecTV will be overwhelm with customer complaints.

I think DirecTV is afraid to make too many changes at once. People in general hate changes. Do too many and DirecTV will be overwhelm with customer complaints.

The more likley reason is they don't want to send it out all at once incase there is an issue with any part of it ... this way they can control it better.

The more likely reason is they don't want to send it out all at once in case there is an issue with any part of it ... this way they can control it better.
That risk is there with any DirecTV software upgrade. But I have notice, the more visible the change, the slower the rollout. When they increase the Channel Banner, the rollout was six weeks.

The slow ui is enough to make me want to hurl the remote into the plasma sometimes. 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi....

lol..I use to feel the same way! The HR24 have been light years better than their predecessors.

I love the new HD guide! All I can say is its about time. The old interface has been around for as long as I can remember.
Im sure it was the same as when I was paying two bills USSB and direc.

Too? What were the other things?

Er...I miss that as others who switched from Dish to Directv do.

Other than that, I find the Directv interface to be about as non-intuitive as Dish's. I also miss the Dish remote because of its nice, big, differently shaped buttons. There are a lot of things I don't miss, like having to sneaker-net recordings from one DVR to another if I want to start something in one room and finish it in another or watch something recorded in the bedroom on the living room TV. D* picture quality seems better too, but that may be subjective as I had TWC in-between and got a new TV as well. Both are good, and I like different things about each.

-Ted

WOW, you guys are really High Maintinance .....
I learned how to use the Right Arrow button right away, I want to see whas on in the 2-3 hour range, I push it !

Also like the Red and Green buttons for advancing thru the guide 12 hours at a time.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Dish doesn't have an HDGUI

HD or not, the GUI was better looking, far quicker, more intuitive and overall easier to use than D*. I'm not saying it was perfect, but comparing E*'s GUI with D*'s current/old GUI is like comparing Legos or an Erector set to those big blocks made for toddlers. Ugly and slow. It's good to know that someone at D* finally took a class in Graphic Design.

Status
Please reply by conversation.