Is the iphone being trumped yet?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
With the Droid and many other WM phones plus better and better Blackberry phones with touch screens, does Apple need to introduce a major upgrade next summer to keep up it's pace as the perceived leader in mobile devices?

I think so.

When the iphone first came out it offered a better looking device with a better user interface. But even today it still lacks certain capability that its competitors have had all along.
Some of the big ones I can think of are:
- user replaceable battery
- plug in micro SD card storage memory
- Does it do stereo BT yet?
- Multitasking
- Open applications not restricted to the itunes store
- a slide out keyboard model
- higher resolution screen
- open to all carriers both GSM and CDMA
- 4G ready
- dockable for desktop I/O devices like monitor, mouse, and keyboard.
- front camera for video teleconferencing

Now before you iphone fanboys remind me again about how you can do some of this with hacking or pirating the phone, I will remind you this is about what Apple needs to do to stay on top of their game, not what the phone is capable of with some unsupported aftermarket trickery.

I think for some of those points, (open apps, apps not restricted to itunes) may be contrary to the business objectives of the product, and may never happen. In those cases, they'll slide by on 'it's an iphone' for the time being IMO.

- user replaceable battery - Agreed

- plug in micro SD card storage memory - I personally think this is over rated when you have 32GB models. Next upgrade will most likely include a 64GB model.

- Does it do stereo BT yet? - Already there

- Multitasking - This is becoming a must have feature

- Open applications not restricted to the itunes store - Never going to happen.

- a slide out keyboard model - Over rated.

- higher resolution screen - This is only needed to keep up with other phones

- open to all carriers both GSM and CDMA No Comment

- 4G ready Only if the provider will be ready within the next few years

- dockable for desktop I/O devices like monitor, mouse, and keyboard. I don't see the point. You can already hook them up via adapters to a TV.

- front camera for video teleconferencing very limited market IMO

Over all they still must be doing something right. I still hear people all the time say they would buy an iPhone today if it was on Verizon. Hopefully they won't wait for a larger upgrade until the demand starts to slide for the product.

I don't think the Droid is doing as well as some folks think. Just this morning I saw an add on TV where if you buy one Droid phone you get a second one for free.

I don't think the Droid is doing as well as some folks think. Just this morning I saw an add on TV where if you buy one Droid phone you get a second one for free.

The actual Droid phone I'm unsure of, I know personally I think Moto killed it with the design and keyboard setup. Android itself though, I'm loving it

Not a single "it" phone for me yet. The biggest drawback to the iphone for me is the AT&T 3g network. It is still a nice device, sorely in need of some upgrades as mentioned in the OP.

I do agree that they need a real keyboard model. But that is a subjective thing. Some love the on-screen, some hate it. I personally hate the iphone/itouch onscreen keyboard, but I like the HTC hero's onscreen keyboard. That being said, I ended up with the Samsung Moment phone due to the keyboard (I really like this) and the screen (AMOLED looks teriffic).

Some love the on-screen, some hate it. I personally hate the iphone/itouch onscreen keyboard, but I like the HTC hero's onscreen keyboard.

Just wondering what the main differences were that brought you to your opinion?

The actual BOGO is buy one Moto Droid or HTC Droid Eris, and get a HTC Droid Eris for free. NO free Moto Droids. SO, I am not so sure of your argument Scott.

The Moto Droid is a good thing for the same reason that we used to say that Directv's adding a ton of HD was a good thing - it pushes competition.

Verizon has the biggest wireless network in terms of customers, and the Droid has given them an iphone competitor, with a phone with a LOT of very nice features. One can only assume it will push Apple and AT&T to do better. OR push Apple to let go of the exclusive AT&T lock.

Only time will tell, but as a Droid owner on the Verizon network, I am a happy person, and love everything about the phone. Just wish Dish/Sling would get their act together and come out with a player. It is NOT like they have to go through the itunes store for approval. ;)

I have had on-screen keyboards with the ipod touch, the Samsung Omnia (WinMo), and the Droid. Of the three - the Droid's wins hands down. The Omnia's was the worst. I make that assessment based on ease of use, and frequency of errors. Droid wins without a doubt in widescreen mode. Huge keys = less errors.

Yet, 90% of the time I use the much-maligned real keyboard on the Droid, which works great for me and produces less errors than any of the virtual keyboards I have used -- but I will also admit still is inferior to the Treo's keyboard that I used for two plus years.

It's really hard to explain honestly. Maybe the way the devices fit in my hands in landscape (I can't type in portrait orientation on any-onscreen keyboard with my fingers). I don't have big hands for a guy. Somehow on my 6'2", 225lb body inherited my 5'1" mothers tiny hands LOL.

I have an ipod touch, got it before taking some trips to rip some movies to and for music etc on the planes. I like the device, but I can't type on it easily. For some reason when I had my HTC Hero, the on-screen keyboard was great for me eventhough I ended up trading it in (dead lines on screen) and got a Samsung Moment (which I really like and I never thought I'd be able to say that about a Samsung device after my experiences with their blu-ray players). The physical keyboard is really a must for me, but I could have definitely lived with the Hero's keyboard.

I have had on-screen keyboards with the ipod touch, the Samsung Omnia (WinMo), and the Droid. Of the three - the Droid's wins hands down.

Why does it win? I have not seen any of them so I really am interested in peoples opinions on why it is better.

Why does it win? I have not seen any of them so I really am interested in peoples opinions on why it is better.

Sorry -- I hit EDIT instead of QUOTE and responded in your post... DOH!

I edited my post after initially posting it, because I realized I did not answer your question. Read above. ;) :D

Well, this is getting the kind of response I had hoped for.

JAG72- I was hoping for a response like you did from you. However, you need a bit of clarification from me on a couple points.

- plug in micro SD card storage memory - I personally think this is over rated when you have 32GB models. Next upgrade will most likely include a 64GB model. Being able to plug in a micro SD card allows you to pull the card and plug into a computer for fast and easy file transfer. I do this all the time. It's quicker than a USB connection, and it allows for unlimited storage. I now have 3 - 16 Gb cards for maps and media. I do agree that having it all built in is easier, until you have to transfer then the plugin is easier. BTW- I also carry a tiny micro SD to USB adapter with my belt case which also holds a spare battery.

- Does it do stereo BT yet? - Already there, thanks! I thought so but wasn't sure.

- Multitasking - This is becoming a must have feature

- Open applications not restricted to the itunes store - Never going to happen. Not as long as Steve Jobs is in charge but that may change when new leadership takes over, for real. Never say never

- a slide out keyboard model - Over rated. Depends on the user. Most who have them like them, personally, I use it when I need to type more than an e-mail address in length. The finger touch screen KB is too much real estate so I still like the stylus tinier keyboard on the Win Mobile screens. Sometimes this is faster when just needing to type a couple letters, numbers. My wife loves the slide out KB but hates her cramped blackberry KB, she has to do much more e-mail typing.

- higher resolution screen - This is only needed to keep up with other phones Ah... that was the point of this thread, iphone needs to keep up.

- open to all carriers both GSM and CDMA No Comment Again, newer phones are now being designed to accommodate everything making a user churn easier. It is a selling point advantage for the hardware, not the carrier. Makes the carrier sell on their service merits, not the hardware merits. Apple should do this too, make one phone design that can be sold to all carriers.

- 4G ready Only if the provider will be ready within the next few years 4G is not a technology, but a name given to a new generation of technology. It is a performance requirement spec. Since Sprint is already ahead of the curve on this, others will soon follow. I include it because it would be silly to design an industry leader that is built on a limit to yesterday's tech generation.

- dockable for desktop I/O devices like monitor, mouse, and keyboard. I don't see the point. You can already hook them up via adapters to a TV. Didn't know that. Only saw it done with a hack at last years CES show. The point is convergence while traveling. It enables more people to retire the second mobile device, a laptop. I can do this with my TP2, so I thought iphone should have this capability as well

- front camera for video teleconferencing very limited market IMO Yes, limited now, but I see this as a 21st century feature that will also be usable if we have 4G. The "picture phone" is the kind of innovation that makes iphone keep to its claim of being the industry leader in innovation. The htc TP2 has this on some foreign models. The original mogul had it but was discontinued before released. I saw it at the Microsoft booth at CES 2007.

Scott- I agree that the Droid is not doing as well as they thought it would. I played with one side by side with my TP2 and frankly, my conclusion was that it is an excellent first generation attempt, but the ergonomics failed my smile test. It also was a bit sluggish compared to the TP2 on screen redraws. Otherwise it was fine, IMO. I think they do have a winner and will be able to expand and improve on it for the next version.

But this thread is about the iphone and how, I believe, it needs to have some major changes or suffer the fate of the ipaq from HP. That was an innovation in it's day, but they didn't improve it to keep ahead of the competition. I loved my ipaq. It was the phone that made me jump on board the PDA user group. HP has a history of introducing a paradigm and then not be able to keep it ahead of the curve. Apple is different. It keeps improving it's winners, eg the ipod, the Mac computer, to name two. Now iphone is next.

However, you need a bit of clarification from me on a couple points.

Why do I need clarification. These were just my opinions that were posted. I don't need any clarification on my own opinions.

4G is not a technology, but a name given to a new generation of technology.

4G is not a technology but a name given to a new generation of technology? If it is not a technology how can it be a name for a new technology? :D

I fully understand what 4G is and what you are saying but I just found your comment funny.

Honestly Don, I respect everything you have stated since these are features that you would like to see in the phone. Personally only a few of them are really must have for me right now. This is why there are so many phones on the market right now because everybody has a different opinion on what they like.

Actually, I think the original 3G and 4G names came from AT&T. It actually means 3rd generation and 4th generation. But then it was assigned some specification goals in bit rate to be qualified for that name. It is not a name for a new technology as you questioned. It is like a name given for the new GENERATION of technology. How they achieve the specs required is the set of technologies, such as LTE or WiMax. Both of these technologies fit the requirements, I believe, to be 4G.

These were just my opinions that were posted. I don't need any clarification on my own opinions.
No doubt, but I thought I needed to expand on my opinions and why I listed them.

BTW- I do have an ulterior motive to this. I was examining my stock holdings in Apple and AT&T Friday, ( Note the Apple price per share took a small nose dive Friday) and it has been bothering me that the iphone seems to be slipping, AT&T getting bad reviews, and a casual observation that posters here, a small microcosm of the iphone world, have waned in enthusiasm of late.

Actually, I think the original 3G and 4G names came from AT&T. It actually means 3rd generation and 4th generation. But then it was assigned some specification goals in bit rate to be qualified for that name. It is not a name for a new technology as you questioned. It is like a name given for the new GENERATION of technology. How they achieve the specs required is the set of technologies, such as LTE or WiMax. Both of these technologies fit the requirements, I believe, to be 4G.

Don, If you would have noticed the :D in my post you would have known I was not questioning it.

I was more making fun of you stating that it was not a technology but a name for a new technology. :D

4G is not a technology, but a name given to a new generation of technology

I was more making fun of you stating that it was not a technology but a name for a new technology.

But I didn't write it that way. You may have read it that way but the key word phrase in what I wrote was

4G is not a technology, but a name given to a new generation of technology.
:D :D to you too!

Oh! I have read at other places on the web were the Moto Droid has already sold 800,000 units and is on its way to 1 million by the end of the year, not bad for a product that has only bean out since November.

I will not go as far as saying that the Droid is better then the iPhone, but it is certainly competitive and is better in some areas and the iPhone is better in others. The biggest advantage for the Droid is that it is available on VZN. I just got a Moto Droid yesterday and love it. In 2 years when my contract extension expires I will see whats available then and make a decision then weather to go with a new and improved Droid or switch to a new and improved iPhone or something totally new, but for now I love my Droid :).

As far as the physical key board goes, that feature appealed to me at first, but since playing with my new Droid I found that I actually like one of the virtual key boards better, so for me that is no longer an advantage for me. The big advantage's of the Droid that I like is the removable battery and SD cards, and the fact that their are apps available independent of the app store. I do like the bigger icons and a little better touch sensitivity on my wife's iPod Touch though. The biggest advantage to the Droid is the service provider. Oh! Did I mention I love my Droid :D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts