Is the select package still available

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
there is a select package that retention can offer (I think)
check the sticky at the top of the page with a pdf of the different packages. Note that some are long gone

Select is no longer available as of February 2012. Select Classic is an available retention package, and the Family package is also available, although not advertised.

How do I know? I changed my Mom's package to Select in 2011 during the second year of of her agreement. When the price increase hit after the first year promotion discount expired, the two of us chatted about what she watches on DirecTV. After reading very informative posts here on this subject, I suggested to my Mom that Select would offer a decent number of channels at a reasonable price, and the change was made to Select without any problem.

Select did not have a price increase in 2012, but is increasing to $46.99 in February 2013.

In reference to Iceberg's post, here's the link to the PDF file that details all the packages: http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=83828&d=1356826737

Select is no longer available as of February 2012. Select Classic is an available retention package, and the Family package is also available, although not advertised.

How do I know? I changed my Mom's package to Select in 2011 during the second year of of her agreement. When the price increase hit after the first year promotion discount expired, the two of us chatted about what she watches on DirecTV. After reading very informative posts here on this subject, I suggested to my Mom that Select would offer a decent number of channels at a reasonable price, and the change was made to Select without any problem.

Select did not have a price increase in 2012, but is increasing to $46.99 in February 2013.

In reference to Iceberg's post, here's the link to the PDF file that details all the packages: http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=83828&d=1356826737

You said that Select was no longer available ...
Is it Select Classic that is going up to $46.99 ?

Confused about this as well.

So there is no way to get the "Select" package any more.....even through retention?

I'm currently on the "Choice Extra" package (new DTV customer since September) and I would like to downgrade to the "Entertainment" package. Is there a PENALTY for downgrading during your 1st year of your commitment?

If not, is it better to change packages ONLINE or by PHONE?

We are working wiht 2 different packages here
Select went up to 46.99 and is no longer available
Select Classic is 43.99 and can be had through retention

These channels are in the package that is available thru retention
A&E HD 265
Audience Network HD 239
AS TV (HDNet) (HD Only) HD 306
Baby First (HD Req.) 293
BET HD 329
Bloomberg 353
BYU TV 374
Cartoon Network HD 296
Christian TV Network 376
Church Channel 371
CNBC HD 355
CNBC World 357
CNN HD 202
Comedy Central HD 249
Country Music TV HD 327
CSPAN 350
CSPAN 2 351
Daystar 369
Discovery HD 278
Disney HD 290
Enlace(Spanish)(119° Req) 448
ESPN HD 206
ESPN 2 HD 209
ESPN 3D 3D 106
EWTN 370
Free Speech (HD Req) 348
Fo News HD 360
GOD TV (HD Req) 365
Golden Eagle (HD Req) 363
Headline News 204
HITN (Spanish) (119° Req) 449
Home/Garden TV HD 229
Home Shopping Network 240
Hope Channel (119° Req) 368
Inspiration Network 364
Jewelry TV 313
Jewish Life (119° Req) 366
Link TV 375
MSNBC HD 356
MTV HD 381
NASA (HD Req) 346
Nickelodeon HD 299
NRB Network 378
ONCE(Spanish)(119° Req) 447
QVC 275
Shop NBC 316
Trinity Broadcasting 372
TBS HD 247
TCT Network 377
TNT HD 245
The Learning Channel HD 280
TV Guide Network 273
USA Network HD 242
Velocity (HD Only) HD 281
VH1 HD 335
V-Me(Spanish)(119° Req) 440
Weather Channel HD 362
Word Network 373
World Harvest

Sonic Tap and locals included

So there is no way to get the "Select" package any more.....even through retention?
see above. 2 different packages. Select Classic is available

I'm currently on the "Choice Extra" package (new DTV customer since September) and I would like to downgrade to the "Entertainment" package. Is there a PENALTY for downgrading during your 1st year of your commitment?
you can change your package at any time with no penalty.....so you could go to Entertainment today and next week go to Choice. Its only the premium programming that you need to keep for 30 days

If not, is it better to change packages ONLINE or by PHONE?
If you're moving packages that are available online might work just as easy

I kinda wish Select was still avaialble (its not....again Select CLASSIC is).
These are in Select and not Classic :(
ABC Family
Animal Planet
Food Network
Gospel Music Channel
Hallmark Channel HD
History Channel HD
Lifetime HD
Lifetime Movie Network
Nick Jr
Pursuit
RFD TV
BIO
GAC
H2

Damn...A&E, GAC and History I'd be set :)

Thanks Iceberg. Yeah I wish that the old "Select" pkg was still available as well.

So if I downgrade from Choice Extra > Entertainment.......will I still keep my RSN in Los Angeles (ie FSN West, Prime Ticket, TWC Sportsnet)?

no
Choice is minimum to have a RSN but rumor is you can add the sports pack to Entertainment or Select Classic to get the RSN's....but its $13

Entertainment is pretty much Choice minus sports + a few channels. Here is the difference
Big Ten Network
Cooking Channel
Current
ESPN News
ESPN U
Fuse
Independent Films
MLB Network
NFL Network
Science Channel
Speed
TV One

I suggest checking out the pdf that has been linked to/mentioned a couple times in the thread. Its thought out well and can quickly glance at what channels you'll lose by changing packages

also if you get Free HD make sure you see what package requirement you need to keep it

When I got it added as a current sub (2 years ago) I needed to have Choice or above. You may need Entertainment or above to keep it

I just called D* to confirm something and there is NO FEE to change your package.....so you could drop to Entertainment and say 2 weeks later move up to Choice.
(premiums you need to keep for 30 days or pay a penalty)

So I called DTV to 'downgrade' from Choice Extra > Entertainment.....and I was told that I would lose my $25 per month/1 year rebate credit when I signed up as a new customer back in September 2012.

The retention rep told me that I can only downgrade to the "Choice" package and still keep the $25 monthly rebate - and that I can downgrade to the "Entertainment" package next September when the $25 rebate expires (after 1 year).

Can someone confirm this please. I just want to make sure that DTV is giving me accurate information and not some BS.

Thanks.

If retention told you that I would say its probably true.
Its kinda like my HD "free" thing when I got it added as a current sub. I needed Choice as minimum to keep it.

The difference between Choice and Entertainment is only $5 with the promos (Dont you get $29 off on Choice?)....I know right now Choice is $29 off and Ent is $25 off

So I went back in the archive and found D*'s site the 1st week of September 2012. It shows $25 off a month for a year on Entertainment and $29 off for Choice and Extra (30 for the other two). The extra $10 is the HD credit fee

So if you drop to Entertainment you would lose the $29 credit but technically should get $25 off. But I'm sure D* just drops the credit
Honestly for $5 more I'd keep Choice until September. Then you can drop down to Entertainment and still get your 2nd year discount (which is $20 across the board)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 133
^^^ Iceberg, thank you very much for all your help and research. I really appreciate it.

That's exactly what I'm going to do - stick w/ Choice until my 1 year is up and then I will go down to Entertainment.

I kinda wish Select was still avaialble (its not....again Select CLASSIC is).
These are in Select and not Classic :(
ABC Family
Animal Planet
Food Network
Gospel Music Channel
Hallmark Channel HD
History Channel HD
Lifetime HD
Lifetime Movie Network
Nick Jr
Pursuit
RFD TV
BIO
GAC
H2

Damn...A&E, GAC and History I'd be set :)
No you wouldn't ... no RSN's mentioned ...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts