Is there a better way to see what is coming on each channel?

PHXHoward

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
PHX
I'm looking for a better way to find TV shows to add to my DVR.

Right now, I pick a channel in the program guide and then keep pressing the right arrow to move through the guide and mark interesting shows to record. This is not ideal because for example, a two hour show requires four button presses to move though it and with so many repeated shows in the higher tiers, it takes a long time to get through all of the guide data.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could get a vertical list of each show on the channel that skips dupes and groups episodes into folders like it does for recorded shows? It would save so much time when browsing a channel to see what shows are coming up. Just move through the list and see what's coming up on TV.

Next, add a way to search for movies while skipping dupes and sorting by star rating.

I know there are great shows and movies out there, I just don't have the time or energy to sort through them all.

I'm thinking if I can find some downloadable program guide data, it can be imported and made into a database application.

Sling guide pretty much does this. I've found if I log into my Dish account and click "Later" in the sling guide then filter to a specific channel, it list upcoming shows and even allows me to flag them to record.

Neat and if I pick HBO for instance, it also lists the star ratings. Very cool.

Lots of tricks are available. Sling guide is one of them. On the receiver you can type a number (in my case 3) and then hit scroll right. That will jump to the next block or programming.

i would like to see the guide have the ability like windows media center where you can arrow over to the left, select the channel, then have it bring up what is on just that channel for that day. that would be useful i think.

I tried themes search to show movies but it includes all the PPV and channels I don't get. Channels I do get show up 2 or 3 times because of the high number versions of the same channel.

I tried themes search to show movies but it includes all the PPV and channels I don't get. Channels I do get show up 2 or 3 times because of the high number versions of the same channel.
I took care of the movie searching problem by locking and hiding channels that are PPV or unsubscribed. If they are locked out, and hide locked channels is selected you can see only the movies that you get (however it will still list duplicates). The downside to this is that the PPV movies I do record show up as "locked event" in my recordings, and require me to enter my password to play them, but I rarely ever buy a PPV anyways.

I took care of the movie searching problem by locking and hiding channels that are PPV or unsubscribed. If they are locked out, and hide locked channels is selected you can see only the movies that you get (however it will still list duplicates). The downside to this is that the PPV movies I do record show up as "locked event" in my recordings, and require me to enter my password to play them, but I rarely ever buy a PPV anyways.
+1, but you can hide the duplicates. There's no real reason two have 2 of the same channels in the guide anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)