Is there a charge for 2nd Dish??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

johnmart

Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
I am a new dish subsriber, getting the 811/301 on the Dish own plan. Retailer says there is a $99 charge for the second Dish. Is this correct??
Thanks John

buzz...wrong

Since you have 4 channels on the side satellite (61.5), Dish would have to supply the dish and all equipment to recive those locals free of charge. The locals on the side satellite are
WOTF-TeleFutura
WCEU-PBS
WBCC-Educational
WTGL-religious

You may not ever watch those channels, but it does allow you to get the dish for free in case they add more HD to the side satellites.

I was told the second dish would be for the 811 to receive the HD channels. What you are saying, is that the 2nd dish is only for locals, correct. I am getting the locales OTA at this time. These retailers really confuse me. Thank You

You call DISH and tell them you want the dish for locals and they have to give it to you for free. You can then receive the additional HD programming located at that location

Johnmart

There are some HD channels on 61.5 (HBO, Showtime, CBS) but there are some local channels on there, too. (the minor ones)

If you have your locals through Dish, they are required to supply the 2nd dish to get those locals for free. If you don't have your locals, that's a different story. They probably will bill you for the 2nd dish.

Thank you all, I now have it figured out. The dealer told me to get the HBO & showtime, as you said Iceberg, I would need the additional Dish at my expense. I had told him I was receiving the locals OTA and had excellent reception. I am getting the HD Pak though, just thought Dish would supply the necessary equipment to view them all. Will keep the locals OTA and buy the extra dish if necessary.

Or...

You could get the locals for one month and then cancel them once the 2nd dish is up..

If they are going to charge you $99 for the equipment, 11 bucks would be a cheaper alternative (5.99 for locals for a month+5.00 charge to drop them).
Here is something else to think about...
I can get my locals OTA great, but still have locals through Dish...why?? The on screen guide shows what programming is on the locals....That is the feature I love..

Yes Iceberg, you have a good point. Have been wondering if the 811 will stretch the OTA when in SD on my Mits projection tv. My Mits has a OTA HD tuner, and has a great HD pic on locals broadcast HD. Normal SD is letterbox and commercials on HD programing. Dish locals in SD are full screen I would have to believe

If you are watching OTA digital channels in your area I can understand why you wouldn't be willing to pay for Dish's over-compressed SD offerings. If not for the guide or the free dish you might want to consider subscribing to them if you have a PVR. I don't have an HD-capable set and I am seriously considering getting an 811 just for the OTA digital locals!

Dish is going to eventually catch on with people ordering locals for a month if they haven't already, although I dont know if they can do anything about it since it is a requirement by law to do so even if it is for one month.

Stargazer said:
Dish is going to eventually catch on with people ordering locals for a month if they haven't already, although I dont know if they can do anything about it since it is a requirement by law to do so even if it is for one month.

Stargazer
When I got my Minneapolis locals, there was one channel (KTCI..PBS) that was on side satellite. After Dish installed the 2nd dish, about 2 weeks later they moved it to 110. Dish didnt care..I personally don't think Dish would care about the 2nd dish..that might be why the new markets are having all their locals on the main..

I do have one question on that...what happens if a customer wants the PI channels on the side satellite? Does Dish supply it free?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)