Is there a DVR/ Gene upgrade in the future?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
I was unable to get DTV because I have no LOS. I have wanted to try it as my bill with Dish just keeps going up. However the Dish/DVR Hopper with 16 tuners is unmatched. Is there any whispers of new tech coming to DTV? Tree's by the end of the month are gone. Emerald Ash Borer. :) Thanks

They have the HS17 but thats just a way for you to have wireless receivers all over your house, so no more genie receivers, just clients. In my opinion this is horrible. Genie clients have proven to be total garbage, worst pieces of device ever made.

I was unable to get DTV because I have no LOS. I have wanted to try it as my bill with Dish just keeps going up. However the Dish/DVR Hopper with 16 tuners is unmatched. Is there any whispers of new tech coming to DTV? Tree's by the end of the month are gone. Emerald Ash Borer. :) Thanks

I guess my question would be how many tuners do you need? You can add some HR24s if you need more than the 5 that the HR54 offers. Not sure what the max is though.

You guys would be surprised how great it is having 16 tuners. You never once think about there being a recording conflict, you just set any show you want to record. The only concern is keeping track of how full the hard drive is.

Reactions: budda
tuner count need really depends on the number of clients you have
if you have 5 or 7 tuners and 3-7 clients that are in regular use you could have issues
now, 16 tuners and 7 clients? shouldnt be a problem

i still think directv screwed up on the hs17

Reactions: IcEWoLF
tuner count need really depends on the number of clients you have
if you have 5 or 7 tuners and 3-7 clients that are in regular use you could have issues
now, 16 tuners and 7 clients? shouldnt be a problem

i still think directv screwed up on the hs17

Totally agree. Lack of non-client hardware will bite them, especially when they can't seem to get client playback right (audio dropouts, etc)!

Reactions: IcEWoLF
I think it's best to skip clients all together. HR54 with HR24 on all other additional tv's and your good to go.

Reactions: Jimbo
You guys would be surprised how great it is having 16 tuners. You never once think about there being a recording conflict, you just set any show you want to record. The only concern is keeping track of how full the hard drive is.
Hmm,
I don't think I've ever had a recording conflict.

Hmm,
I don't think I've ever had a recording conflict.

That's good. It all depends on each person's situation. I had two Hoppers with an OTA tuner each and still ran into recording conflicts occasionally. It never really bothered me all that much but once I upgraded to the Hopper 3 it was so much better.

That's good. It all depends on each person's situation. I had two Hoppers with an OTA tuner each and still ran into recording conflicts occasionally. It never really bothered me all that much but once I upgraded to the Hopper 3 it was so much better.
I just have no reason to have to record that many things at the same time ....

I just have no reason to have to record that many things at the same time ....

I believe you and I know there are plenty of others that don't either. I'm married and have two kids so there are plenty of shows that get recorded and I love that I never have to worry about it.

I believe you and I know there are plenty of others that don't either. I'm married and have two kids so there are plenty of shows that get recorded and I love that I never have to worry about it.
Oh, I agree that you need the option for more at the same time.
I just find that 16 at the same time is ridiculous ...
you need to find a hobby if your watching 16 shows at the same time.

When D* went to 5, that's more than I'll probably ever need, however I don't have a wife and kids either.

If D* would allow 2 Genies on an account that would be helpful.
I could have 1 at home and 1 in the Rv

I'd say 5 is still too few in an ideal world. I end up just prioritizing shows that will not get re-run later on that evening or week over ones that will, like most cable shows to make sure I get everything. I may add an HR24 whenever I renew/move to reduce the need for that.

When D* went to 5, that's more than I'll probably ever need, however I don't have a wife and kids either.

I know a lot of people say it sounds ridiculous and I admit I thought that originally too but it's really nice to have. It's not that I will watch that much at once but it's the fact that I don't have to worry or think about it, I just watch and record anything.

In my house TV can be watched in four different rooms and the Dish Anywhere app can be used which my brother in Houston does occasionally. While that's going on I know I can still have all of my recordings going which could be up to 6 at once depending on the time and day of the week. I also have the ability to use the multi screen when there are multiple sports on or shows I want to watch. I never have to worry about any of it interfering with anything and I love that. I even find myself recording shows I normally wouldn't just because I can.

Reactions: satjay
I'd say 5 is still too few in an ideal world. I end up just prioritizing shows that will not get re-run later on that evening or week over ones that will, like most cable shows to make sure I get everything. I may add an HR24 whenever I renew/move to reduce the need for that.
Remember when 2 shows was all there was ?

I know a lot of people say it sounds ridiculous and I admit I thought that originally too but it's really nice to have. It's not that I will watch that much at once but it's the fact that I don't have to worry or think about it, I just watch and record anything.

In my house TV can be watched in four different rooms and the Dish Anywhere app can be used which my brother in Houston does occasionally. While that's going on I know I can still have all of my recordings going which could be up to 6 at once depending on the time and day of the week. I also have the ability to use the multi screen when there are multiple sports on or shows I want to watch. I never have to worry about any of it interfering with anything and I love that. I even find myself recording shows I normally wouldn't just because I can.
People are confusing recording a large number of shows (which I have no problem with) with having to record 16 items AT THE SAME TIME.
Thats the part I don't get.

I don't know if I even have 16 CHANNELS that I watch. let alone record.

I run into issues with 5 tuners on my DirecTV because I record multiple shows, I have a genie and a wireless client, so sometimes I run into recording conflicts. I don't watch them all at once, just I put them on record and catch up with the shows on the weekend or in the evenings.

I hope they offer an option to increase tuner count to like 10....I think that would be a sweet spot for most.

I run into issues with 5 tuners on my DirecTV because I record multiple shows, I have a genie and a wireless client, so sometimes I run into recording conflicts. I don't watch them all at once, just I put them on record and catch up with the shows on the weekend or in the evenings.

I hope they offer an option to increase tuner count to like 10....I think that would be a sweet spot for most.
Your still Recording all those shows AT THE SAME TIME ...

I agree 10 would probably be fine, but I'm sure there are others that think 25 is too few.

If D* would allow 2 Genies on an account that would be helpful.
I could have 1 at home and 1 in the Rv

Jimbo thanks for the comments. It seems however you are speaking just for yourself? First I would be surprised if anybody watch's 16 tuners at one time. That's a question asked and answered by you. At least I hope so. I have 6 TV's all LCD.Two 4k sets. Four 1080P sets. I have two teenage young adults plus my wife. All seem to record crap all the time the 16 tuners makes that a snap. I. I mean I could get by with less. But I would like more . Not sure how it works with DTV but two Gene DVR's and a few clients would work. If allowed and it worked. One Gene for the Master bedroom and the theater room. Than one shared by the kids/adults. I have a wireless video sender I use for the workout room and the garage. So two clients two DVR's. Is that reasonable? Thanks

Reactions: Scherrman
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)