Is there a DVR that supports both FTA and OTA signals?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
Just curious, is there a single DVR that supports both FTA signals (Ku band, specifically AMC 21 and Galaxy 19) and OTA signals from an OTA antenna? I've seen DVR's for each at a few hundred dollars, but surely someone makes one unit that can accommodation both.

I'm also looking at MythTV, but I haven't found any good documentation on getting FTA programming to work over MythTV, but that route would be way complicated and rather expensive given I'd have to buy a whole system along with the add-ins to bring OTA and FTA programming into the box.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
I only know of PVR's that support both :... Coolsat 8100 , Pansat 9200 & Sonicview 8000 (there's a few more) . I do know PVR's or lacking compared to DVR's . Please let me know if you find one .

It is called a PC.

Build one and add one of SiliconDust's HDHomeRun tuners to it for OTA and then get some PC satellite tuners like the Prof 7500, 7301, etc.

For additional capability you can add CableCARD™ tuners to the same machine and get every high definition channel from your cable TV provider.

yes but probably computer is easiest

one that comes to mind was called "popcorn hour" a search should yeald results at any search engine and also here i think several members had one and commented about them .

Last edited:
Does the sat STB need to be HD?

It is called a PC..
I look for the same device asked for by samalex. I like PCs, but I don't want one in my living room for satellite/OTA. I want an independent DVR that can handle multiple HD sources from FTA and OTA. This is one of few reasons I keep my Shaw Direct basic package and own their DVR to record the major networks.

Not available in Canada. This item is too risky to buy long distance from US to ship here. I appreciate if you get a good one, it would likely be a nice unit to have. I think it may be discontinued with stock still available in some stores? Master of all reference links on it seem to be this one.

used a diamond 9000hd with OTA + G18 for a long time. HD was great and never had trouble with recordings.

there are a few out there that have the ATSC tuner.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)