Is there a greater single non-playing event than the intros to the ASG?

SamCdbs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 7, 2008
MLB has outdone itself this year. Simply great. Wonderful.

Sadly, Bob Shepherd is ill and replaced by the iritating Tim McCarver.

Nitpicks and coments:

- Lots of living HOFers left out. Was this a random selection. Or just people that would show up? Or what? Bench? Morgan? Anderson? Sutton? Niekro? Bunning? Fingers? Seaver?

- Carter's Montreal hat was cool.

- Steinbrenner, who has been out of the public eye for over two years, if obviously in his final decline. Not an Yankee fan, and think that a double standard was applied to his "lifetime"ban conpared to Rose, but it was good to see the guy get a, almostly certain, final curain call.

- Yogi Berra was not introduced as "The Greatest Living Yankee", which he is and should have been.

- Crow's national anthem was not New York. New York doesn't even have a country FM station, right? Maybe they could have saved her for next year in St. Louis (which is the best Baseball city in America, and getting its first ASG since the mid 60, which is just wrong) and gone with a more Broadway friendly act. Apparently they just work O Canada in during a commercial now.

- New York fans gave short shift to ex NY Giants. Sad. But 50 years is a long time.

- Josh Hamilton is a great story. I hope it remains one.

Sam,

who are your favorite teams in the major sports?

While I know you as Mr. 'leastleftovers,' I'm curious as to who you root for in MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, college hoops and college basketball.

Nitpicks and coments:

- Lots of living HOFers left out. Was this a random selection. Or just people that would show up? Or what? Bench? Morgan? Anderson? Sutton? Niekro? Bunning? Fingers? Seaver?

- Steinbrenner, who has been out of the public eye for over two years, if obviously in his final decline. Not an Yankee fan, and think that a double standard was applied to his "lifetime"ban conpared to Rose, but it was good to see the guy get a, almostly certain, final curain call.

- Yogi Berra was not introduced as "The Greatest Living Yankee", which he is and should have been.

- Crow's national anthem was not New York. New York doesn't even have a country FM station, right? Maybe they could have saved her for next year in St. Louis (which is the best Baseball city in America, and getting its first ASG since the mid 60, which is just wrong) and gone with a more Broadway friendly act. Apparently they just work O Canada in during a commercial now.

- New York fans gave short shift to ex NY Giants. Sad. But 50 years is a long time.

Rolly Fingers WAS there. He was introduced with the rest of the HOF closers.

Sutton and Niekro were there too, where were you.

Sparky isn't good health wise so that's probably why he wasn't there.

Bunning is a Senator and probably couldn't come.

The others should have been there.

Also add Kofax to that list too.

Sutton and Niekro were there too, where were you.

Sparky isn't good health wise so that's probably why he wasn't there.

Bunning is a Senator and probably couldn't come.

The others should have been there.

Also add Kofax to that list too.

They DID bring Pete Rose back ONCE, it was great for the game, but the MLB thought he might be BAD for baseball, so they decided to make it so that he could NOT participate in these type of things .....

Gee, ALL of these guy's are such PERFECT ANGELS !

Jimbo

I'm a Reds fan and it was very disappointing not seeing Bench,Morgan or Seaver there. Morgan was there the night before with ESPN. Bench not being there left a huge whole at catcher. Also Stan Musial wasn't there but he's getting up there in age so maybe he can't travel well these days. I think Sparky is in poor health. I saw him doing a tribute for Joe Nuxhall shortly after his death and he looked very bad. Also some others that weren't there were Yaz,Fisk,Nolan Ryan,Sandy Koufax and Billy Williams. Hated to see McCovey in a wheel chair. He along with Willie Stargell were two of favorite non Reds. Hated to see Steinbrenner in bad health. Does anyone know what's wrong with him?

They DID bring Pete Rose back ONCE, it was great for the game, but the MLB thought he might be BAD for baseball, so they decided to make it so that he could NOT participate in these type of things .....

Gee, ALL of these guy's are such PERFECT ANGELS !

Jimbo

Rose was brought back when they had the all time team or something like that. This was a MasterCard sponsored event and they put the pressure on MLB to have him there and they relented since it would probably cost them big bucks.

I'm a Reds fan and it was very disappointing not seeing Bench,Morgan or Seaver there. Morgan was there the night before with ESPN. Bench not being there left a huge whole at catcher. Also Stan Musial wasn't there but he's getting up there in age so maybe he can't travel well these days. I think Sparky is in poor health. I saw him doing a tribute for Joe Nuxhall shortly after his death and he looked very bad. Also some others that weren't there were Yaz,Fisk,Nolan Ryan,Sandy Koufax and Billy Williams. Hated to see McCovey in a wheel chair. He along with Willie Stargell were two of favorite non Reds. Hated to see Steinbrenner in bad health. Does anyone know what's wrong with him?

I felt the same way. Being a lifelong Red Sox fan, The Boss is someone that I loved to hate. I just find it disturbing and surreal to see a powerful man like Steinbrenner in that condition.

The HOF player I felt was missed the most was Tom Seaver. Given the fact the game was in NYC, Tom Terrific should have been there.

Billy Williams was there.

The reason Rose wasn't there last night is plain and simple. He is not in the Hall of Fame.

Nitpicks and coments:

I was wondering where Bench was, too.

And that's a good point about Sheryl Crow. St. Louis would have been perfect for her--she's actually from Missouri.

thanks for the quick recap. I always watch THE GAME, not the FLUFF. I can't do without the pregame crud. As far as I'm concerned, they should have done all the fluff from 7-8pm ET and first pitch at 8:05pm ET.

The only televised highlights I saw from the fluff was during the all-star game highlights. I wonder if we should start a death pool for georgie - he looked frail to me.

Looks like George has had a stroke or something. If they said that at some point over the last few months I missed it.

Did anyone catch Willie Mays lack of appreciation or the obvious lack of acknowledgment of other fellow center fielder, Josh Hamilton?

First off, when they announced each HOF position player, it was custom for the player to step forward, wave to the crowd, wave hat, smile, etc. Not Mays. He stood there with a cold face and arms tucked behind his back and cap still on. Then as each current position player was announced, they went over to that positions HOF'ers and greeted by shaking hands and/or hugging. Again, not Mays. As a matter of fact, when Hamilton was announced, Mays noticeably went out of his way to turn his back and not acknowledge Hamilton at all! Hamilton was stuck there with his arm extended waiting to embrace the HOF center fielder with no reciprocation from Mays. I found this utterly awkward and am not sure why I haven't heard it talked about more.

I've heard other stories on how Mays is not to cordial to others outside of his circle. Is there any relation to him and his Godson, Barry Bonds? This would explain everything.....

Did anyone catch Willie Mays lack of appreciation or the obvious lack of acknowledgment of other fellow center fielder, Josh Hamilton?

First off, when they announced each HOF position player, it was custom for the player to step forward, wave to the crowd, wave hat, smile, etc. Not Mays. He stood there with a cold face and arms tucked behind his back and cap still on. Then as each current position player was announced, they went over to that positions HOF'ers and greeted by shaking hands and/or hugging. Again, not Mays. As a matter of fact, when Hamilton was announced, Mays noticeably went out of his way to turn his back and not acknowledge Hamilton at all! Hamilton was stuck there with his arm extended waiting to embrace the HOF center fielder with no reciprocation from Mays. I found this utterly awkward and am not sure why I haven't heard it talked about more.

I've heard other stories on how Mays is not to cordial to others outside of his circle. Is there any relation to him and his Godson, Barry Bonds? This would explain everything.....

I agree, that was odd and awkward. Most every picture you see of Willie Mays in his playing days, he's smiling...not Tuesday night.

I hope it was just Willie not paying attention or something, Josh Hamilton didn't deserve that.

Sandra

I agree, that was odd and awkward. Most every picture you see of Willie Mays in his playing days, he's smiling...not Tuesday night.

I hope it was just Willie not paying attention or something, Josh Hamilton didn't deserve that.

Sandra

I think he's become one of those cranky old men.

On another note, it was interesting to see the former players years after their playing days. Some aged better than others, but I must say that George Brett still looked great! I think he could still kick some ass!

I think he's become one of those cranky old men.

On another note, it was interesting to see the former players years after their playing days. Some aged better than others, but I must say that George Brett still looked great! I think he could still kick some ass!

I agree. Was it me or did Goose Gossage lose a ton of weight?

I would not be a bit surprised if Willie is miffed over the whole Bonds issue. Ever since Barry has been out of a uniform Mays has been noticeably absent from the scene. Now, he is aging so health may be playing a role in it. But to me, Mays just looked like he didn't want to be there.

Actually, his lack of recognition to the crowds long ovation when he was introduced was as startling to me as George's appearance when introduced. Maybe there are health issues.

I agree. Was it me or did Goose Gossage lose a ton of weight?

I think Tony Gwynn has put that ton on him. He's really big.

From different things I have read Mays is really a cranky old man now. He doesn't think he gets the recognition he deserves. Plus many have said he had a bad divorce back many years ago and he wasn't the same since that. I'm sure too he's bitter over Barry Bonds since that is his god son.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)