Is there a way to set the default display mode for SD channels?

docdaddy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Birmingham, AL
While we rarely watch anything in SD there are occasionally shows we would like to see. Dish's SD is far better than Directv's (IMO) and I'd like to have the SD channels default to the partial zoom mode.

Is there a way to set that? I don't see in settings anything related to how to handle channels that aren't full screen, which is odd because I could swear I had that setting on our old 722k.

Thanks.

They should stay however you "set" them.
Go to a SD channel and select partial zoom and all the SD channels should now be partial zoom.

They should stay however you "set" them.
Go to a SD channel and select partial zoom and all the SD channels should now be partial zoom.

Hmmm. Tried that, set one SD channel to partial zoom, moved to an HD channel, came back to it and it was back to normal. Wonder if I have to do that on the Hopper 3 and not the Joey?

Hmmm. Tried that, set one SD channel to partial zoom, moved to an HD channel, came back to it and it was back to normal. Wonder if I have to do that on the Hopper 3 and not the Joey?
you would need to do that on EACH device you want it that way on.

Now that the question is resolved, I'm trying to understand why anyone would want to watch 4x3 content stretched to make everyone look fat.

One is screen burn-in can happen with the black bars and if there is no stretching, then your actual picture does not take up 100% of the screen. Not sure what the percentage is but that's like saying why would anyone want $100 when their $100 should be treated as $80.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'll take $80 over counterfeit $100. :D

Also, I didn't think burn-in would happen on black areas (no pixels on).

As long as the image is not cut off or the aspect is not distorted, then yes, it's not counterfeit. :)

I've seen Plasmas with burnt in black bars.
Of course its not black, But you can see the vertical/ Horizontal lines where the picture stopped and the letterbox began.
acfc8b3ad13dfa12e4f0000eb06df14f.jpg

The answer is that i don't think we will keep it at partial zoom - we're just playing with the views. We rarely watch SD. But with the original shows that are on TVLand now (like Younger, etc.) that we're used to watching in HD on Directv, just trying to see what view makes their SD presentation somewhat more watchable.

Reactions: dare2be
As long as the image is not cut off or the aspect is not distorted, then yes, it's not counterfeit. :)

We're talking about different things. If you keep it original size, sure the picture will be sharper and smaller. My picture is not distorted since it depends on signal quality as well. Just like some HD looks just like SD on this 65" 4K OLED as it depends on the programming, I watch TVB. I prefer the picture to be 100% of the physical screen size regardless, otherwise what's the point of having a 65" tv when the picture is way smaller. Ofcourse there is a difference to watch it at that 80% when you are sitting 2 feet away versus sitting 8 ft away since the picture will still be big in the former situation but then 8 feet away, I rather have it 100% screen size versus the 80% screen size. You would not notice the distortion like you would when you are closer to the display.

I already got my answer from docdaddy who my question was directed at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)