FranKy400

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
I am looking for a UHF antenna that can receive a signal from the following:

Compass 120---distance of 23 miles
Compass 134---distance of 33 miles
Compass 287---distance of 55 miles

Single story rooftop install with no area obstructions and pretty good terrain.

Currently I just have a half-moon type antenna attached to satellite dish and can get a signal from 55 miles away part-time.

Since the compass numbers are about 180 degrees apart I was hoping to find a strong directional antenna and point at 287 and hope that it had enough on the backside to pick up the stronger stations at 120 and 134.

Is there an antenna that anyone could recommend---prefer to avoid a rotary.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

I wasn't familiar with how to attach so it took me a little while to figure it out.

Also, my earlier info didn't come from tvfool so the new info is a little different from the original post but the concept is the same -- located between two cities and trying to receive some of the additional channels from the farther city.

TV Fool

tvfool_report.png

You might try an 8 bay cat whiskers type antenna like the CM4228 or the Winegard HD8800 with the reflector screen removed, it should get the closer UHF stations and maybe the 55 milers too.

Failing that, you may need two antennas pointing opposite directions cabled down to an RF switch at each TV.

A cat whiskers type antenna will have a wider beam than a yagi, so you can get the 120 and 134 degree stations pretty easily off one antenna, the stations at 55 miles will be more difficult to receive, that is at the extreme fringe of UHF reception.

My guess is that two antennas will be needed, one pointing east one pointing west and seperate coax to each TV.

Louisville stations are doable, but not easy.

If you want the 2 or 3 VHF stations they may add another level of complexity (antenna) to the equasion.

The round flying saucer looking omni-directional antennas are whimping out at about 25 miles.

I get a strong UHF station at 55 miles off the back side of a Radio Shack VU-90 VHF/UHF antenna but its only 10 to 20 signal quality at best. On good days its very watchable on a CM7000 converter box but some days its just broken up. If you're on a hilltop you may do very well with stations from both directions on one antenna.

If you do go with a 8 bay "cat whisker" antenna get one that has 4 seperate reflector grids. You could remove one or two reflectors to let in enough signal from the backside for the locals and still preserve most of the forward gain of the antenna for the distant stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)