Antenna Signal Over Internet

taelon721

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
Is it possible to put the antenna signal through the Internet, and back out of the computer, so someone could receive another markets locals? Any ideas?

I realize it is possible to stream one channel, but this is a whole different ball of wax. :D

And if it is possible, does the FCC have any rules that make it illegal to watch another markets locals like that?

Slingbox is the best solution.

I am curious if I could receive a signal from a neighbor on a hill from their tv antenna then transmit it over my local area network with a pair of radios to get it to my house. If Slingbox works with a local area connection (not broadband connection) then I guess I could do that as well.

Bandwidth requirements (particularly on the uplink) would be beyond the capacity of residential service to send just one channel over the Internet. Were you suggesting all OTA TV signals be sent all the time? :eek:

Bandwidth requirements (particularly on the uplink) would be beyond the capacity of residential service to send just one channel over the Internet. Were you suggesting all OTA TV signals be sent all the time? :eek:

Yes. But I was thinking instead of streaming a channel, if it is possible to just stream the antenna signal. In other words, you get the signal off the Internet, and into your downconverter box or directly into your TV that has a tuner, and watch all of the locals. So you are streaming the antenna signal itself, which contains all locals from whoever is sending the stream; ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, UPN, PBS, and independents. I know about TV tuner cards, but that would be pulling one channel out before it reaches your computer right?

I would be happy to get another market like New York's or something..... But say getting the English locals from Canada, would be awesome...... Or maybe BBCs from UK. But if US and Canada is possible, UK might not be since it might be a different signal. I don't know if Pal vs. NTSC factors in, if we are talking about an OTA signal.

I've heard of a slingbox, but don't know what it does.

Yes. But I was thinking instead of streaming a channel, if it is possible to just stream the antenna signal.
No, it is not possible to send one billion of something (1GHz) through a three thousand bit (3KHz) pipe.

What you're suggesting is kinda like trying to get a four lane freeway worth of cars and trucks to pass through a soda straw.

The raw bandwidth of a single ATSC stream is up to 19Mbit/sec, or about 20% of a 10BASE-T Ethernet link, or almost 40% of a Wireless-B link. DVD video is less than 9Mbit/sec, for reference. SD (480i) ATSC streams are up to 3.5Mbit/sec. A Slingbox takes a single High-Def channel (must be connected to a tuner at the reception/transmission site) and re-compresses it to something more like 3Mbit/sec, and an SD channel is under 1Mbit/sec. I think it uses MPEG4 Part-2, but I don't remember. A Slingbox doesn't care if it has to go out over the internet or stays within a local network. I don't think that a Slingbox will work with a common digital OTA tuner or not; I've never tried that. I do know that they work with TiVo and most satellite DVRs. Though relatively expensive, they are the best solution for "remote" viewing.

Slingbox simply has composite, component, s-video or HDMI inputs, it can use anything that can output one or more of those as a source.

For the Slingbox to change the channel, the tuner to which it's attached has to be supported. Not necessary if you only ever want to watch one channel; you can set the channel on the converter box once and walk away. But if you want to change the channel on a Digital Stream DTX9900, it has to be supported on this list from Slingbox...which it isn't. I'm still looking to find if any of the common $40-60 boxes are supported at all.

I was not able to get my FiL's DTV Pal to understand instructions from a 5.3 IR remote. Maybe if you step down to an older remote generation, it would work. The disadvantage to that, is that there is no "dash" or "point" key on an older Dish remote, so there's no way to punch directly to 41-2 or 41.2.

I was not able to get my FiL's DTV Pal to understand instructions from a 5.3 IR remote.
My 5.3 IR remote works just fine. You have to make sure it is set for remote code 1.

As for the decimal or hyphen keys, DISH equipment doesn't use those. You punch in the channel and subchannel without the dash.

If you want 10-3, you enter in 01003 or (0103 and wait).

Thanks alot for all the ideas guys!!!! As is usual, Satelliteguy.us members are the most quick to help people in the hobby!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts