Is there any "non-HD" programming on the Ka band?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

GCRoberts

Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Niagara Falls, NY
I have a AU9 (Ka/Ku 5LNB) dish, 2 HR-22 receivers connected to HDTV's, and 3 older MPEG-2 receivers hooked up to standard definition TV's. Directv recently offered me a free upgrade on one of my very old receivers so I accepted. They sent me a D12 receiver which does not recognize Ka satellites. Note: my previous receiver didn't recognize Ka band either. This receiver is connected to a non-HDTV. I suspect this receiver is fine since it's my understanding that the Ka satellites are used ONLY for HD programming. But it got me wondering if there is any "non-HD" programming on the Ka band? I guess I could compare the program lists from one of my HR-22 receivers to the D12, but that would take forever. It sure would be nice if there was a link where you could see which Directv channels are on which satellites/transponders. I understand this information could change often.

I have a AU9 (Ka/Ku 5LNB) dish, 2 HR-22 receivers connected to HDTV's, and 3 older MPEG-2 receivers hooked up to standard definition TV's. Directv recently offered me a free upgrade on one of my very old receivers so I accepted. They sent me a D12 receiver which does not recognize Ka satellites. Note: my previous receiver didn't recognize Ka band either. This receiver is connected to a non-HDTV. I suspect this receiver is fine since it's my understanding that the Ka satellites are used ONLY for HD programming. But it got me wondering if there is any "non-HD" programming on the Ka band? I guess I could compare the program lists from one of my HR-22 receivers to the D12, but that would take forever. It sure would be nice if there was a link where you could see which Directv channels are on which satellites/transponders. I understand this information could change often.

Ok now I will say that I am a DirecTV noob, but Lyngsat shows only 99.2 being KA band while showing 103 as KU but that might be missed labeled.

Here is what is on 99.2
DirecTV USA on Spaceway 2 & DirecTV 11 at 99.2°W - LyngSat

And here is on 103 aka 102.8

DirecTV USA on Spaceway 1 & DirecTV 10 at 102.8°W - LyngSat

I only showing these as my D11 shows 101/110/119

Hope this helps

The way I understand it there are some SD locals on KA.This was the reason for the R22.;)

yea but arnt the new Ka locals still transmitted Mpeg2/4 hence the need for the R22

yea its a shame that DirecTV cant get a move on with the one Dish one Reciever concept because it would take alot of confusion and expense out of every EQUATION!!! SWiM IT ..... and thats a must for the average consumer!:)

I still wonder why they just done use some sort of low frequency transmitter outside like a switch and have a small cigarette case size receiver at each TV location to decode the signal.

Dish --> MeterBox --> Ground --> Small Transmitter

I still wonder why they just done use some sort of low frequency transmitter outside like a switch and have a small cigarette case size receiver at each TV location to decode the signal.

Dish --> MeterBox --> Ground --> Small Transmitter

I would think that the low power you can transmit without a license would cause reception trouble in larger and/or older homes (e.g. plaster on metal lath). You would basically have the same issues that people have with wireless networks.

Bottom Line: Security and Srenker said.
The older houlses what have plaster on metal lath are basically in giant faraday cages which basically block wireless signals. I have have an aunt who complained about ever cellphone company saying no one had service in her house. Well it was because as nice of a house as i was, it was old and had what alot of people would call chicken wire underneth the plaster walls.

Security, Note sayin the system could not be made very secure the problem is that upper brass will see it as a potential point of breach of security even running low power.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)