Is there any way to get Directv to add a subchannel to the OTA module?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bruin95

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Sin City
I'm using the AM21 module, and it's missing one of the subchannels. The channel is MOVIES! and it airs on subchannel 8-3 via my local CBS network. I can get 8-1 and 8-2 (which is MeTV), but 8-3 does not appear in the listings. I re-did the antenna setup, but it just doesn't appear. The channel was added to my local lineup over a year ago. Several other subchannels have been added, in the past, and they appeared in the channel lineup the same day they started broadcasting. I'm not sure why this channel does not appear in the lineup. Talking to CSR's is absolutely useless in regards to this. They have no idea what I'm even talking about. Does anyone know if there is a way to get Directv to add this subchannel to my OTA lineup? It's frustrating not having it.

If you can find the same channel in another area, add that zip code as a secondary market. The guide info will be wrong, but you can at least get the channel.

Reactions: Broe67
I assume you live in the Las Vegas DMA. Try running your 2nd zip code from Atlanta, GA, Pueblo, CO, or Dallas, TX. Those cities have 8.3 in the database. As Chip said, the guide data will be for PBS, LWN, or CW in those cities, but when you tune to the channel it will be your Movies channel. You will be able to record, but you'll have to do it manually. It's a pain, but better than nothing.

I wish Directv would just update the thing or let it use OTA info for the missing channels - they over-complicate something that is really simple!

Reactions: Broe67
As I was told by the fanbois at dbstalk, Directv won't add channels into the database because the number of people that use the AM21 is so small that it doesn't matter to them.

I just looked at the D* database for Las Vegas and 8.3 MOVIES is in the database. You should get 8.3 by just using your Las Vegas zip code. If your not, there must be a different problem as to why your not receiving that channel. One thing that I've read about in the past is using different zip codes within the Las Vegas DMA. Certain other zip codes within a certain DMA give different results. I've never had this happen to me, but others have reported that it does happen.

I just looked at the D* database for Las Vegas and 8.3 MOVIES is in the database. You should get 8.3 by just using your Las Vegas zip code. If your not, there must be a different problem as to why your not receiving that channel. One thing that I've read about in the past is using different zip codes within the Las Vegas DMA. Certain other zip codes within a certain DMA give different results. I've never had this happen to me, but others have reported that it does happen.

The problem with that is that LV has something like 40 different zip codes.

If you can find the same channel in another area, add that zip code as a secondary market. The guide info will be wrong, but you can at least get the channel.

I tried that using Atlanta as the secondary market. Not one of those channels showed up in the guide, plus I lost 2 of my local channels. Ugh!

Status
Please reply by conversation.