Is there any way to have the Genie HR44 on an ethernet wired connection?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I want a wired connection for it's much faster than Wi-Fi is generally, and have pretty much all my devices on a wired connection. I had a ethernet cable plugged in the back of my HR44 but now I see that it's still on Wi-Fi. How would I get it to go on a wired connection instead?

DirecTV does not officially support using the ethernet connection on the back of the box. I will say it should work fine so long as you only have one box in the home, but using a hardwired ethernet cable will disable the internal deca and may cause multiroom viewing issues. I would recommend having a broadband deca installed on your system to provide a hardwired connection.

Thus being said, to accomplish what you are asking, go in the menu, then in the settings, then to network settings, then click on restore defaults. after that runs, click on repeat network setup. It should come up with an 88 code automatically, if it doesnt something went wrong. Once you get your 88 code, reset your box manually with the red button just for good measures and youll be good to go. Again please note we will not support this method of connecting to the internet.

DirecTV does not officially support using the ethernet connection on the back of the box. I will say it should work fine so long as you only have one box in the home, but using a hardwired ethernet cable will disable the internal deca and may cause multiroom viewing issues. I would recommend having a broadband deca installed on your system to provide a hardwired connection.

Thus being said, to accomplish what you are asking, go in the menu, then in the settings, then to network settings, then click on restore defaults. after that runs, click on repeat network setup. It should come up with an 88 code automatically, if it doesnt something went wrong. Once you get your 88 code, reset your box manually with the red button just for good measures and youll be good to go. Again please note we will not support this method of connecting to the internet.

I have a HR34 (with a wired Ethernet connection to the HR34) as well as two other DVR's and a couple of H24's with whole home and it works fine. It might be supported by DirecTV but it does work for me.

John

I have been running whole home thru Ethernet since the beta testing days.I have an HR44 & a bunch of DVRs & it works fine.

And do a reset on your network settings on the HR44.

i would do this, but disconnect the ethernet first, then reset network settings, then plug the ethernet back in. it should pop up a message after a min or two saying your connected again, or you can go back and connect to the network again and it'll just connect. call me paranoid.

Actually Hardware to the hr44 and deca to everything else works great since the hr44 has the equivalent of a DIRECTV Wired Broadband Internet Connection Kit built into it.

And if you do mix and match if you know what your doing you are ok. But you have to understand how all the signals will work along the different methods. ;)

I have had more problems with the cinema connection kits going bad than anything else.

I'm on the 3rd or 4th one at my house.

Seriously considering hard wiring everything and putting all the Directv stuff on its own dedicated eithernet switch.

I got eithernet ran to every room anyways.

Only reason why I would need a decca is for my 2 H25's in the bathrooms and my client in the office with the computer.

Speaking of that, really need to get rid of the client and go with another Hr24

the bolded part is ONLY true on HR24. With current Genies connecting an ethernet cable to its ethernet port does NOT disable its internal DECA and there are no issues with WHDVR.

If you have everything networked with ethernet you should be fine, but mix and matching ethernet vs deca will lead to problems.
again, not picking on you, but DECA is just a different medium to transport packets that ends up being the same at the "back end"

Got 1 HR44, 5 HR24, 2 h25 and 1 client.

Connected with 2 swm 16 and 2 cinema connection kits.

I would like to hardware all the HR24's and 44's with eithernet
if you were to connect all of you receivers except one H25 to one SWM16 switch, you wont need a BroadBand DECA as you can use the 44 as the bridge.

I am hoping for some clarification on this subject - what does it mean that they "don't support" that kind of connection. When I moved, they swapped my HR34 to HR44. The installer connected my Internet directly to the HR44 with an Ethernet cable. If I understand your post, and the other times this has come up, would Directv not support their own installation? That is how it's connected now, it's not wireless. I want it that way, though. I, like the TS, prefer direct connections. Especially when dealing with Comcast and their unstable, finicky, and constantly changing speed Internet.

I am hoping for some clarification on this subject - what does it mean that they "don't support" that kind of connection. When I moved, they swapped my HR34 to HR44. The installer connected my Internet directly to the HR44 with an Ethernet cable. If I understand your post, and the other times this has come up, would Directv not support their own installation? That is how it's connected now, it's not wireless. I want it that way, though. I, like the TS, prefer direct connections. Especially when dealing with Comcast and their unstable, finicky, and constantly changing speed Internet.
"unsupported"means that a direct ethernet connection is not considered as one that DIRECTV® approves. If you were to have any issues with that type of set up, a tech might blame it on that configuration. What DIRECTV® support is connecting a BroadBand DECA to your router, or a wireless connection

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)