Is there anything I can do to lower my bill?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jkglazner

Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
California
Monthly Charges
Aug 01 - Aug 31 America's Top 200 49.99
HD Duo DVR Receiver 17.00
HD Platinum 10.00
Service Plan (15/0) 6.00
DVR Service 6.00
HD 200 Free 0.00
$ 88.99

I don't watch any of the HD Platinum channels, so I want to drop those. But my current package isn't availbile anymore, so if I drop Platinum I think I'm going to have to sign up for a new package. They have locals in my area now (I live in Crescent City, locals come from Eureka), but I don't think they're in HD so they're not a priority. I don't care if they're local or not, I just want the networks in HD. It doesn't look like that's going to happen for a while though.

the 17 buck extra receiver fee is a killer i assume you have two 722s?

the E rep told me before i cancelled just drop your extra receivers.
Yep I dropped ALL receivers and cancelled service.
Have you shopped local bundled prices for cable internet and phone?

Why don't the moderators ban this person. Two posts in two minutes so far for advertising his business. I didn't think we were allowed to run links for business's?
I guess the moderators are pretty quick, they banned him before I could finish. Nice job.

the 17 buck extra receiver fee is a killer i assume you have two 722s?

the E rep told me before i cancelled just drop your extra receivers.
Yep I dropped ALL receivers and cancelled service.
Have you shopped local bundled prices for cable internet and phone?

Yes I have two 722's. We don't have a home phone anymore, we just use our cells. And we're pretty happy with Charter for our internet, just not for cable.

Monthly Charges
Aug 01 - Aug 31 America's Top 200 49.99
HD Duo DVR Receiver 17.00
HD Platinum 10.00
Service Plan (15/0) 6.00
DVR Service 6.00
HD 200 Free 0.00
$ 88.99

I don't watch any of the HD Platinum channels, so I want to drop those. But my current package isn't availbile anymore, so if I drop Platinum I think I'm going to have to sign up for a new package. They have locals in my area now (I live in Crescent City, locals come from Eureka), but I don't think they're in HD so they're not a priority. I don't care if they're local or not, I just want the networks in HD. It doesn't look like that's going to happen for a while though.

You're grandfathered into the The Top 200 package (which I'm assuming doesn't have locals included right?).

What is your receiver setup?

Quick suggestions: 1) Eliminate the service plan (that brings your bill down to $82.99) and then 2) Eliminate Platinum (that brings your bill down to $72.99).

Now according to their website if you change your programming you'll lose your current grandfathered package. BUT, that may not be true. Because I had AT 120 (w/o locals) + HD Platinum. I told them I wanted to DROP HD Platinum because now I'm getting HD Free and didn't want to pay extra. I did it through chat and they ended up dropping only HD Platinum with NO CHANGES made to anything else. So before I was paying $34.99 (AT120) + $10.00 (Platinum) + $6 (DVR) and now I'm only paying $40.99.

So basically, I think the option exists for them to change add-on programming (Premiums, Platinum, etc.) without changing your grandfathered package.

Even if they try to tell you otherwise, just tell them you want to drop ONLY Platinum (and the Service pack if you want) and ask them to read you the result of the new bill. If the numbers add up to what they should be ($49.99 + $17.00 + $6.00 + $6.00 = $78.99--or $72.99 if you drop the Service option) then you're fine. If something doesn't add up right, then don't do it and call them, telling them that you want your basic package to stay the same and are only interested in dropping Platinum and/or Service.

They may charge a $5.00 service fee to make changes to your account. They waived it for me: "There'll be a one time fee of $5 for removing programming.* As a one time courtesy I'll waive that."

Also, if you do it online be sure to save the chat session (that's where the quotes above come from).

Last edited:
Also, you may need to access your need for the HD - Duo DVR Receiver:

is it worth having 2 DVR Receivers in the same house - how about dropping the DVR on one?

plus i second the other suggestions - drop the HD platinum + the service fees.

all the best - PS

I've been looking at dropping to a lower package and it's amazing how many channels you watch that you would be losing if you downgrade. Wife loses 2 channels, Kid loses 2 channels, I lose 3.....NO WAY. I'm staying put.

The ANSWER---Go cut the neighbors grass for an extra $30 and keep watching with a smile..and mild heat stroke.

So basically, I think the option exists for them to change add-on programming (Premiums, Platinum, etc.) without changing your grandfathered package.

I've been told previously by a Dish CSR that this is exactly true. Changing add-on programming is fine, but if you change your base programming package is what can cause you to lose the ability to go back to it (I know they still actually offer Turbo Silver, but this is what they told me when I went to T200).

Unless you share HDD

Unless you share an ext HDD drop the 2ND 722 and replace it w/ 211k. Then pay a 1 time fee to add the ext HDD to it. The bill will be $30 higher 1 time then it will go down on the monthly fees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)