Is there new DirecTV equipment on the way?

Wasn't streaming...they died long before that
To buy a VHS movie wasn't cheap but DVDs changed that and they scratched a lot..making them crappy rentals. Why rent for 3 o4 bucks when you can buy for 10?
Then cable and satellite VOD also killed it

Steaming is new in regards to decent choices
I do not know when you started streaming, but Vudu ( had their own box at the time) was doing PPV in 2004 ( and you could buy digital copies or redeemed digital codes also), itunes before that, Netflix was also renting discs back then and started streaming in 2007.

Then the first Apple TV came out in 2007, Roku in 2008 and Blockbuster just collapsed after that.

So a combination of PPV from Cable/Satellite ( when they had 100 million subscribers),, Streaming and Netflix Disc Rentals did them in.

Dish bought Blockbuster in 2011 out of Bankruptcy, closed in in 2013, streaming had taken over that part of the business.

I do not see a valid business case for DTV to come out with new h/w. Cannot see a connection to stemming losses.

I do not know when you started streaming, but Vudu ( had their own box at the time) was doing PPV in 2004 ( and you could buy digital copies or redeemed digital codes also), itunes before that, Netflix was also renting discs back then and started streaming in 2007.

Then the first Apple TV came out in 2007, Roku in 2008 and Blockbuster just collapsed after that.

So a combination of PPV from Cable/Satellite ( when they had 100 million subscribers),, Streaming and Netflix Disc Rentals did them in.

Dish bought Blockbuster in 2011 out of Bankruptcy, closed in in 2013, streaming had taken over that part of the business.
That didnt kill blockbuster for the masses..the first Roku hit the market in 2008...HD/Bluray came out in 2006..streaming was very basic in 2004 ..not really popular unless you were a nerd

no one could of saved Blockbuster, which is more apparent now then back then, with the closure of one of the last video store chains last year, Family Video, all that is left is Mom and Pop type stores and Redbox, it shows that streaming has finally killed that type of business.
Family video held on as long as they did renting games and starting their own fiber internet in places. They sold off the internet business and with all the games going on line finally killed them off. Towards the end they rented out part of their stores to pizza place. Now they are in the business of just renting the property out.

Family video held on as long as they did renting games and starting their own fiber internet in places. They sold off the internet business and with all the games going on line finally killed them off. Towards the end they rented out part of their stores to pizza place. Now they are in the business of just renting the property out.
Family video also had adult movies for rent as well Blockbuster did not.

It will not be much, in 3 years and roughly 6 million gone, DirecTV will be pretty close to unprofitable.

All they have beyond the Satellite is DirecTV Stream, which only has about 1.5 million subs ( in comparison, YTTV has 5 million, Hulu Live has about 4 Million) and then they have about 2-3 million uverse subs left (a lot in multi-dwellings).

I still think, unless Charlie can get a incredible deal, he should just let them die and use the money towards his broadband thing.

I tried Hulu TV, YouTube TV, and gave DTV Stream a try (2x) once when they first came out and once at the beginning of this year and I have to say that YouTube Tv is a way better system than DTV. I love how simple the recordings are and YouTube TV UI feel much nicer than the other competition.

DTV, once ST is gone, so will they. Businesses will probably slowly switch to streaming at some point once these companies get into the business side of things. Right now I am not aware any of the streaming services have any commercial offerings. But I can see this coming down the pipes soon as DTV transitions to streaming only once they dump the satellite business.

Reactions: DS0816
Wasn't streaming...they died long before that
To buy a VHS movie wasn't cheap but DVDs changed that and they scratched a lot..making them crappy rentals. Why rent for 3 o4 bucks when you can buy for 10?
Then cable and satellite VOD also killed it

Steaming is new in regards to decent choices
Netflix killed them when you could get DVDs shipped to your house.

yea they have new hardware the streaming boxes!!! whenever i call in they try there best to shove the streaming version down my throat!!! i tell em i'm not a streamer as well as there streaming service was a ripoff

yea they have new hardware the streaming boxes!!! whenever i call in they try there best to shove the streaming version down my throat!!! i tell em i'm not a streamer as well as there streaming service was a ripoff
How so? It's the same channel lineup at a better price, and no equipment fees if you use the app.

Reactions: comp9
How so? It's the same channel lineup at a better price, and no equipment fees if you use the app.

you need the box i would anyways since sony doon't have the DTV stream app on it!!! i pay 99.99 for the extra all included vs the choice in streaming. sure the bill's gonna sky rocket next year

Reactions: AZ.
you need the box i would anyways since sony doon't have the DTV stream app on it!!! i pay 99.99 for the extra all included vs the choice in streaming. sure the bill's gonna sky rocket next year
You need a box with DirecTV Satellite also.

If you have Rokus for example, use the app on it and avoid DVR/Box fees, on all TVs.

The other advantage, if you have a vacation home with broadband, you can have it in two different locations with no extra charge, just take a Roku with you.

Reactions: John2021 and comp9
Think the merger talks has failed already, TPG started talking talking with Dish in January, nothing since, no rumors, nothing.

Dish would be smart to wait, DirecTV is losing about 1.6-2 million subs a year ( estimated) and that will get worse after Sunday Ticket is gone, get a much better deal if they wait.

Also ( and this is not political, just repeating what Dish has said) that they do not think it will get approved under the current administration, unless they can show the government that one will go out of business without a merger.

In about 2-3 years, it will be impossible for DirecTV to turn things around and who else would want to buy a failing Satellite Company that has maybe 2 years left.

Math-if they are losing 1.6 million a year and it does not increase ( it will), in 5 years, that is 8 million gone and they only have about 10 Million Satellite Subs left.

Dish does not lose as many subs, if DirecTV’s losses increase after Sunday Ticket is gone, Dish should have more Satellite Subs then DirecTV in about 2-3 years.
Dish is losing around 1 million satellite subs per year now, while DTV is probably losing about twice that. Dish is now at 8 million sat subs vs. maybe 10 million for DTV (with another few million on DTV Stream and Uverse TV). Although, as you say, DTV will likely take an even bigger one-time hit next year after losing Sunday Ticket. I expect the two services to have a roughly equal number of sat subs by the end of '23, around 6.5 million each. Dish might even have half a million more than DTV by then.

But both DTV and Dish are obviously better positioned to make such extrapolations into the near-term future as they have all the data. So any potential deal being negotiated right now between the two companies would, of course, factor all that into each side's valuation and the terms of the deal.

A problem for Dish, though, is that their two newest sats, Echostar XIV and XV, were launched in Mar. 2010 and July 2010, respectively. The expected lifespan for these sats is only 15 years. Now, these sats can and do often have enough fuel in them to remain in orbit and useful for some amount of time past 15 years. But they're basically on borrowed time at that point. So Dish is looking at their entire current fleet of satellites potentially being done by summer 2025, just under three years from now. And DTV/TPG obviously is aware of that.

Additionally, Dish might be down to only about 5 million satellite subs by mid-2025. Keep in mind that Dish, unlike DTV, does not have a streaming version of their service available to capture some of their price-sensitive broadband-connected customers. While DTV sat is losing customers at about twice the rate of Dish, some chunk of those folks are sticking with the company via DTV Stream. Dish only has Sling, which is definitely not a replacement for Dish the way that DTV Stream is for DTV. And recent figures show that Sling has even begun to lose customers. The future merger of the two companies will include both their sat and streaming services, so all of it has to be considered.

Large, potentially controversial mergers such as between the only two remaining satellite TV services in the nation are typically attempted at times when they run the lowest risk of political backlash from candidates angling for votes. In other words, it's best to announce such a deal outside of election season. This, I think, was the reality behind Ergen's remarks earlier this year about this year not being a good time politically to attempt a deal. Better to wait and announce a deal *after* the upcoming midterm elections. But by the same token, they wouldn't want to wait until Jan. 2024 to announce a deal because, well, we'll be full-swing into presidential primary season and the run-up to the Nov. '24 elections by then.

Does Dish really want to wait until Jan. '25 to strike a deal with DTV, knowing that their last two viable sats might run out of fuel by the end of that year? Seems to be cutting it a little too close for comfort to me. And why would they assume that the presidency would change in Jan. '25? And even if it does why bet that a GOP admin would be any friendlier to the deal than the Biden admin? (Yes, the GOP tends to let big business do what they want but also remember that satellite TV impacts rural Americans more than anyone else and the GOP base skews heavily rural/exurban.)

Meanwhile, it's been reported that TPG went into their deal with AT&T to own DTV with the expectation of exiting (i.e. selling their 30% stake in the company) within 3 years. That would mean a sale closing by Aug. 2024.

Anything's possible, of course, but I continue to think that all the facts point to a merger deal between Dish and DTV being announced any time between this Thanksgiving and mid-2023. It would obviously take several months for the deal to be reviewed and then close.

Reactions: DS0816
Scott’s way behind as usual Look for a genie mini replacement here in the future based on the Osprey hardware offering the same amenities
Yeah, if the box referenced in the survey is released for use with DTV satellite, I imagine it will be the same device used as the next-generation DTV Stream box, running their customized version of Android TV. Such a device passed through the FCC summer of last year, with the model number A21KW-500. You can see its specs here:

If used on the satellite side, I'm sure it would work very much how the new Dish Wireless Joey 4 does. It would connect wirelessly to a Genie server, either the Genie 2 (HS-17) or the Genie HR-54, the same way that the existing Genie Mini does. It would rely on the Genie server for all live and recorded satellite TV while the Android TV OS and streaming apps would run directly on the box itself.

You need a box with DirecTV Satellite also.

If you have Rokus for example, use the app on it and avoid DVR/Box fees, on all TVs.

The other advantage, if you have a vacation home with broadband, you can have it in two different locations with no extra charge, just take a Roku with you.
true though i would need boxes with DTV stream for each set since there all sony. it would be nice if they made the app for sony t.v.s!!! since android is the closest thing to an nvidia shield!!! i can't stand the craptastic roku OS it always seemed slow and or broken in my thoughts.

true though i would need boxes with DTV stream for each set since there all sony. it would be nice if they made the app for sony t.v.s!!! since android is the closest thing to an nvidia shield!!! i can't stand the craptastic roku OS it always seemed slow and or broken in my thoughts.
Just get a Roku, they have the Directv streaming app. It also gets you lots of other content.

Reactions: John2021
firesticks are cheap, and work fine

Reactions: John2021
Mine works fine. Maybe you need a newer version.