Is there such a thing as a "good" 622

20 months, no issues with my 622 (I'm probably jinxing myself).

Keep it cool and you should be fine. Put it in a confined place where it overheats and it will die pretty quick.

My last one was great for over a year - no problems until two weeks ago... I had to re-arrange some power wires to make room for a second USB hard drive and powered down the 622.

When I went to power it up, I could hear the internal drive in a repeating 'seek' and it never came back up. Fortunately, thanks to the EHD option, I only lost a fraction of the programs that would have been lost.

The replacement 622 that arrived has since had the screen lock up (audio continues to play though) but it won't respond to commands from the remote and I essentially have to reboot the 622. This is happening about every other day.

I have two 622's that have been near flawless (except for an HDMI software issue that was eventually resolved via software upgrade).

I had to replace my old 942 about four times due to the hard drive going bad though...

Mine has been running perfectly with HDMI to my Sony SXRD HDTV since August, 2006.

Over the same period of time:

* Gone through three Xboxes.
* I have had two portable computers send back to the shop
* The Airbag sensor in my car stopped working (since fixed)
* I have been through two Cell Phones
* The DVD player in the same cabinet bit the dust

Not saying the thing is perfect, but It has been humming along. I am sure there are bad ones, and those are the ones you hear about.

I have 2 units. One froze and never turned on again. Dish replaced it. Thank god I bought their warranty. Replacement plan.

Other unit has been perfect.

I still think they are the BEST units out there. I have a motorola 530 Starchoice and HR20 direc- Still
Dish 622 is vastly superior!

They've been out a total of three times.

I'd like to think they would have caught it if it's a site issue.

You're probably right.

-DD

Do use external antenna (OTA) for locals. It seems thoes with no problems don't.

My 622 has been great (including OTA HD channels). the only time i've run into issues is occasionally with the transfer from the external hard drive back to the unit. Sometimes, when I transfer too much, the unit seems to freak out, freeze and reboot.

12 months, no problems. I use HDMI and OTA. I use an external fan to keep the temp down. I have 3 external hard drives.

I'm moving on to a fourth 622 - can't Dish make one that actually works?

1st - Reboot, reboot, lock and reboot. Average 4-6 reboots a night (only use about 5 hours every night).
Tech comes out, works on whatever.
2nd - Reboots, and later on locks the screen reboots and only works for 10min before rebooting again.
Another Tech comes out - changes the switch.
3rd - Screen flickers at random. Ficker consists of every other frame being dropped and the audio doing the same thing. Pausing and hitting play gets it going again.
4th - Waiting for this one to show up in the mail. Probably another lemon.

Very frustrating. Can't wait for contract to expire and going back to Direct. 6 months to go:mad:.

Even after all this = they still want $200 to get a 722.

-DD
I'm awaiting arrival of my 3rd VIP622. My current (2nd) VIP622, which I've had for about 2 months, spontaneously reboots constantly. Sometimes it will come on for 2 or 3 minutes, but most times it just keeps recycling before satellite signal is acquired. In the meantime I have no TV until my new unit arrives. I can't help but wonder how long the new one will last.
I have 11 months left on my contact. When that is over I'm moving to Directv.

2nd 622 - No problems (except HDMI) - over 18 months now.

1st 622 - smelled ozone/burning within 45 minutes of first using, installer swapped it out that day.

Edit: I do have OTA & use them often. Also have a USB Ext. HD.

Mine never restarts on its own ,But sometimes the picture jumps and shakes,at random,and then I try to go on the Customer service interactive,and the screen just blinks ,so you can't see what your selecting.
Mine has been fixed with a software update , Just to give you an update. Been good overall.

I'm awaiting arrival of my 3rd VIP622. My current (2nd) VIP622, which I've had for about 2 months, spontaneously reboots constantly. Sometimes it will come on for 2 or 3 minutes, but most times it just keeps recycling before satellite signal is acquired. In the meantime I have no TV until my new unit arrives. I can't help but wonder how long the new one will last.
I have 11 months left on my contact. When that is over I'm moving to Directv.

Is your receiver connected to a phone line?

I'm moving on to a fourth 622 - can't Dish make one that actually works?

1st - Reboot, reboot, lock and reboot. Average 4-6 reboots a night (only use about 5 hours every night).
Tech comes out, works on whatever.
2nd - Reboots, and later on locks the screen reboots and only works for 10min before rebooting again.
Another Tech comes out - changes the switch.
3rd - Screen flickers at random. Ficker consists of every other frame being dropped and the audio doing the same thing. Pausing and hitting play gets it going again.
4th - Waiting for this one to show up in the mail. Probably another lemon.

Very frustrating. Can't wait for contract to expire and going back to Direct. 6 months to go:mad:.

Even after all this = they still want $200 to get a 722.

-DD

I would suspect a site issue. I have 2 622's and have had no problems at all.

HDMI has never worked right on my 622 OR 942. And I get the jerky picture every once in a while. Oh, and it won't dial out, even though the diagnostics says the line is fine.

But I love it anyway. So I use component cables, and wait out the jerky pictures (never last more than 15 seconds.) They tried to send me a new one because of the dial-out problem, but I told them to forget it and bought a Homeplug adapter so it could "call out" on internet.

I never get reboots or anything like that.

I have 2 units one of them installed the first week they were available and I never had a single problem. That is untl I received the L5.10 update on my older one.

Sounds like the constant issues I had with the 501 receivers that I had to keep getting replaced. I demanded no more refurbs and when I got the new one (thanks to the phone conversation with Sonya Cartright) I sold it on ebay and never bought another. I got a 522 and no problems since.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)