Is there such a things as 'Fixed Key Mode' on PowerVu?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Davage

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I did a quick ebay search, and I was totally floored to see some PowerVu receivers on Ebay for $20 and less..

Does anybody know if there is a "fixed key" or "zero key" mode on PowerVu where there might actually be some value in having a PowerVu receiver?

I'm thinking similar to the 4DTV where there are some channels that can be viewed by any 4DTV receiver.. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to pick up a PowerVu receiver..

A PowerVu receiver from what I know will operate in a non conditional acess mode. I have a friend that does commercial work. His company was involved in building WGN's new uplink. I asked him what they use for the CW feeds he said PowerVu boxes. Since they are ITC I assume a PowerVu receiver will operate on ITC stuff the same as our DVB units do.

we are using a PowerVu receiver to pick up Alaska one & KUAC radio (we re-feed it) and they are itc so i think it will function as a regular reciver. Dont know if it will pick up any powervu signals...might be worth a try for $20

Last edited:
At work they have a system on G10, ku band that used a DVB Powervu receiver for training classes. As of Jan. 1st the classes went web based. Now the receiver just sits there. I played around with it trying to see if I could switch frequencies to something familiar like 11720 or 11800. But it is all channel numbers. It was set to channel 81.

I went from 1 to 100 and couldn't find a thing the way it's setup now. There is no way to see SR or LNB info or TP freq. unless there's a hidden menu. I researched what the settings were from Lyngsat for it's original use but it doesn't look like it can do anything else.

Most of these things come pre-authorized from the factory. So, depending on what model you buy, it's authorized for something. Don't worry, it's not stealing if a box is authorized. If you modify the software, then that's considered stealing.

Last edited:
Most of these things come pre-authorized from the factory. So, depending on what model you buy, it's authorized for something. Don't worry, it's not stealing if a box is authorized. If you modify the software, then that's considered stealing.

The box may be authorized when received, but who knows how long until it becomes deauthorized by the datastream.

The shipping cost to Canada is prohibitive on some of those receivers unfortunately to take the gamble.

Yes and No...depends on the model of PVu...Check out the Manuals section for SA literature....;)

I did a quick ebay search, and I was totally floored to see some PowerVu receivers on Ebay for $20 and less..

Does anybody know if there is a "fixed key" or "zero key" mode on PowerVu where there might actually be some value in having a PowerVu receiver?

I'm thinking similar to the 4DTV where there are some channels that can be viewed by any 4DTV receiver.. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to pick up a PowerVu receiver..

Yes and No...depends on the model of PVu...Check out the Manuals section for SA literature....;)

That's the amazing thing about SatelliteGuys. Always lots of info readily available. I didn't even think to check out the manuals section, because I thought that the receiver would have been unpopular.

An interesting note - 1603 people have viewed Iceberg's PowerVu Manuals thread.. PowerVu must be a very popular receiver :eek: ;)

If the particular model you are interested in is not listed, speak up and one most likely can be provided...:up

That's the amazing thing about SatelliteGuys. Always lots of info readily available. I didn't even think to check out the manuals section, because I thought that the receiver would have been unpopular.

An interesting note - 1603 people have viewed Iceberg's PowerVu Manuals thread.. PowerVu must be a very popular receiver :eek: ;)

It would be nice to buy a 9850, although those seem to be going for a bit too much these days. Great form factor (1RU), and a nice set of connection options.

The 9850's are ok...Front panel access sucks....no 422 capabilities, but not much of a big deal since that fad is fading anyway...the Mexican made ones have Power Supply issues on occasion it seems...When comparing them to the 9224's Rev 3's, the 9850's are behind the curve on reliability from our experience...Tandberg TT1260's and 1290's are pulling their weight.....just can't accept Tandberg as a reliable vendor though...very, very bad CS experiences in the past..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)