Is third party ac adapter good?

robk299

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Cahokia, IL
I need a new ac adapter for my HP laptop and was wondering if a cheap third party one is just as good as the HP one?

Depends. I owned an HP laptop that used a power adapter with a higher than normal power rating. I tried borrowing an adapter once and it didn't work. Moral is to check the rating on your brick.

EBay has a lot of cheap used adapters. You can probably find one for your exact model for under $10.

I purchased a cheap aftermarket ac adapter for my HP Pavilion laptop several years ago when I bought a new heavy duty battery. They are cheaply made but do work. Just make sure you get the correct one for your laptop.

One thing to make sure of is that the female connector on the back of your laptop is not the culprit. It is soldered onto the motherboard. Something to be aware of. Good article; HP DV1000 female connector

Attachments

• Female Connector DV1000.jpg
    Female Connector DV1000.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 124
Frank Jr. said:
One thing to make sure of is that the female connector on the back of your laptop is not the culprit. It is soldered onto the motherboard. Something to be aware of. Good article; HP DV1000 female connector

Thanks, but it is the ac adapter. The cord that has the male connector is coming out of the brick. If I jimmy around with that end it would work, then it stopped working altogether a few days ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)