Is this a scam? Just got a shady email...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

x3ro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
Just got a shady email from what appeared to be DirecTV at first. The email was formatted just like DTV emails, same graphics and everything... But the subject they emailed about smelled fish, so I viewed the details...

Here's the text of the email:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR HD SERVICE
TEST YOUR DIRECTV® HD SATELLITE DISH NOW

To ensure your HD service is not disrupted, we need to verify you have the latest compatible HD satellite dish. This test is very important and will only take a minute or two.

If your HD satellite dish is not HD compatible, you may lose some HD channels soon. DIRECTV is changing our HD broadcasting methods which require a specific type of HD dish. If the test shows your dish is not compatible, don't worry. DIRECTV will exchange your current dish FREE OF CHARGE—no strings attached. Begin the test now.

After looking at the specifics, the email was from

directv@km-bounce.quris.net

And the link to the test was:

http://customerinfo.directv.com/dir...me=XXXXX&CMP=EMC-MQ-OM&ATT=120-A7-090117final

I took out my customer name and replaced it with the XXXXX

Seems very shady to me. What do you guys think?

To me it looks like it's valid. QURIS.NET is registered at register.net and has been there since 2000 so it's not someone that just got a domain. Looking at Quris it looks like it's an e-mail marketing firm for companies on the Fortune list. Plus the link you provided looks good since it goes to a host at directv.com.

That plus knowing that D*'s trying to shut down the old MPEG2 HD channels (Universal HD, Showtime HD and HDNet Movies go in February) I think they're trying to reach out to make sure customers don't tune to a channel and find it gone because of old hardware.

it's valid. I got this today too. I got one last time they were making some channel changes.

They are getting rid of the last of the Mpeg2 HD channels soon and they are just making sure you can get the Mpeg4 versions before they go away. ;)

Last edited:
Begin Test
1. Go to an HD television connected to your DIRECTV® HD receiver. (If you have more than one HDTV, it doesn't matter which one you go to.)
2. Tune into a channel you normally watch (for example ESPN, Channel 206). Make sure your on-screen channel guide is not visible on your screen. If the on-screen can be seen, press EXIT on the remote to exit the GUIDE before proceeding.
3. Next, turn to Channel 480 using your remote. Do not use the on-screen guide to go to Channel 480, instead enter 4-8-0 directly into the remote.

step2_image.jpg

While on Channel 480, on your HD television screen, do you see the message that begins, "Correct HD Dish setup" similar to the above image?

YES
NO

Yes...

Congratulations! The Test is Complete.

Your current DIRECTV® HD satellite dish is compatible with our new HD broadcasting methods. Thank you for verifying this information.

No further action is required and you can continue to enjoy the best entertainment DIRECTV has to offer.

No....

We're sorry, but the page you are trying to access is not available right now.
Please try again later.

Not a scam, they are just trying to make it easier for people to figure out if they have the right setup.. I imagine if No worked it would have you tune to a 103c channel and if it didnt come in HD they would send you to an upgrade offer page.

Yes, it's okay. I got one too.

The "test" they speak of is just to go to the new Mpeg4 channels and see if you can actually see them. If so, you have an Mpeg4 capable dish/receiver. If not, they then will ask you to schedule a free dish or receiver upgrade.

Good thing to be cautious but this one is okay. :)

It never hurts to check things out. I don't blame you for being safe rather than sorry.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)