Is this even legal?!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PILMAN

The Cable Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 2, 2005
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
I received a strange call from COX Communications the other day stating that they had updated their policys and I failed to give them notification of my decision. I really wasn't sure what they were talking about but I have cable modem through cox with a small business plan. I was called later that day by a woman from Cox and she told me that I would need to pick a plan for Cox Cable tv. I explained to her that I didn't need it as I already had satellite. She then told me that all Cox Communications internet users not currently on there bundled plan would need to switch over in order to keep internet service as well. My guess is they are getting rid of being able to get cable internet without cable television? I tried calling them back today but their closed. I'm a bit confused because I am not a residential user and residential services called me, I'm a business user. On top of that I don't want their cable service, I have dish network. What am I to do if they are forcing me to use cable TV just to keep internet service??

Get DSL. Lots of cable companies want you bundled with their cable even if you don't want it. Similar thing happened to my son. He had comcast and they told him he had to add cable and pay for ir (he had comcast internet but no cable). He told them he had Dish and did not want cable but they said he had to get cable whether he used it or not. He told them goodbye and got DSL.

They must be desperate for customers. We have a DSL provider but their horrible, they have 1.5 mbit lines through sprint and we switched from sprint to cox because the speeds were so much better, DSL was horrible and they required you to have their phone service. The problem is I am using Voice Over Internet Protocal as phone service, not to mention their pings are horrible. I'm really in a stuck situation. I'm using business cable so it shouldn't matter to them.

Unfortunately... if u guys check out their contract (the original cheesy one the installer hastes u to sign)... u will see they have total control over all promotions:current and future... and u signed it... it is sad. I agree. The same thing is happening to me. I have COCKS cable & broadband...I wanna drop the cable tv and get DISH, but keep the Cox broadband, because there is no real economical alternative where I am - at least for me. Screw SBC... it will be a cold day in hell when I get ANYTHING from them. but as of Jan 1st, 2005> at least where I am, Cox put this into effect.
These companies are obligated - within logical reason - to disclose the terms of the contract they are asking u to sign. U on the other hand ALSO have the legal right AND obligation to know exactly what u are doing and signing.
Having said that, what is someone like me to do when I cannot get any other high speed internet here besides SBC and Cox ? I really want the thrills of Satellite but can't sacrifice my high speed internet ?? Cox is trying to bully people into something old and outdated. Yes their internet is decent. But PLEASE don't make me have to stay with your GRANNY-TV !
{Has anyone but me notice how lame all the abundancy of local advertising on cable tv ? You never see DirectTV or DISH ad execs doing door to door solicitation of their local advertising to local small business owners; as is the case with the cable company....especially Cox ?!}

I just checked there contract and there was nothing referring to their TV bundle, if anything since I am with there business cable I would be independent from that contract as I am using their connection for business purposes. That's the reason they offer business cable seperate from consumer because businesses do NOT need the television part, they want to use the ISP for business purpose so they pay more. Theres an acceptable use policy and terms of agreement, there is nothing I see in there referring to business users having to use other promotions to keep exsisting service.

Yeah, U are a business customer. I don't know what U'r contract or deal is... But I do know that the word "promotion" is used extra-loosely and vaguely in my residential contract. It can mean anything, and I guess it does... because they rule U that way, if U are a residential customer. Look at the backside of the contract. On mine, alot of the fine-print is disclosed in canary yellow on a nearly see-thru paper. I simply know all these companies are too huge to not have thought of any of this - or a way to remedy it. And good luck trying to fight it, legally.
Their fathog legal dept is sittin' there waiting for U to try to challenge. Thanks to all the cable lobbyists and SHEVA, these big-assed companies have the legal right to do this.
Get in line with Ur complaint...son

I have Comcast Internet and they charge a Extra $15 per month for the Highspeed if you don't also have Cable TV with them.

Our basic cable here with Comcast was $7 so why all the fuss? just consider it your cost to have their "excellent" cable internet. You don't have to watch the cableTV, you know. I have it here and didn't even hook it up until last year when my wife wanted a new TV in the Kitchen. I ran the cable to it because it was easier than another satellite box.

Now if they are telling you you have to pay $100 a month for the digital cable service on tiop of a $50 internet servive then you have a valid gripe. However, since there is nothing in the FCC regs that prevents them from bundling their service, you either buy what product they offer or you go elsewhere.

jtravel said:
I have Comcast Internet and they charge a Extra $15 per month for the Highspeed if you don't also have Cable TV with them.
I don't have Comcast (not in their part of the county), but I do get Cable Internet only from SusCom. They charge an extra $10 access fee if you don't have Cable TV as well. They tried to get me to do limited basic for $17, by telling me that it would only cost me an extra $7/month. But I found out that if you have the basic cable, you are subject to the franchise fee & taxes, which would have been another $10 or so. So I told them no. The current federal moretorum on internet access taxes made it so much easier to choke down the $10 access fee, as the taxes and franchise fees would have been more.

Same thing with Comcast in the Bay Area. Basic cable is $17.00 and Cable Internet without basic cable is $59.99, so it is basically the same price and you don't pay taxes and franchise fees like the previous post said if you go with just Cable Internet. Crooks!

What's "basic" cable.

Don't they HAVE to offer a lifeline cable service (locals only)? They never volunteer this - you have to ask.

I suppose the Lifeline cable isn't enough to get the internet deals.

PILMAN said:
I received a strange call from COX Communications the other day stating that they had updated their policys and I failed to give them notification of my decision. I really wasn't sure what they were talking about but I have cable modem through cox with a small business plan. I was called later that day by a woman from Cox and she told me that I would need to pick a plan for Cox Cable tv. I explained to her that I didn't need it as I already had satellite. She then told me that all Cox Communications internet users not currently on there bundled plan would need to switch over in order to keep internet service as well. My guess is they are getting rid of being able to get cable internet without cable television? I tried calling them back today but their closed. I'm a bit confused because I am not a residential user and residential services called me, I'm a business user. On top of that I don't want their cable service, I have dish network. What am I to do if they are forcing me to use cable TV just to keep internet service??

contact your attorney general or like someone else said get dsl...

richmondr
jdpower #1 csr

Since you can put a spliter on the cable modem line and also get basic tv service without having to pay for it, the cable company probably assumes many are doing that, so now they want you to go on this new plan so they can charge you the extra $$ for cable TV.
Thats just not right for those who only want the cable modem internet service.

Rafyaz said:
Since you can put a spliter on the cable modem line and also get basic tv service without having to pay for it,

NOT ALWAYS!!! Many cable co. now put traps on the lines of modem-only customers that filter out all analog video services, to keep modem-only customers from stealing TV service. Insight does it here, as well as small cable co. (Greene County Cable) that serves 5 towns around Spfld. While you may get a couple channels grainy around the upper end, the bulk of them will be complete snow.

Also, for Insight customers that only get broadcast basic w/cable modem, they use another type of filter that only filters out expanded basic channels.

We used to do the splitter thing back on AT&T cable and it worked but I never knew it was illegal. I called back COX they appologized because they said a residential sales person shouldn't have contacted me. Their terms don't follow the same as business which is exactly why it costs more because businesses intend to use it for business, because of that they get more upload and they waive alot of the rules such as having to have cable tv and they allow you to run servers due to the fact you pay more for it to be used as business. Not sure why residential contacted me they don't even have my details unless it was from when my mother used to have digital cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)