Poll: Since VoOm is Alive, How many people wil switch to them?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Smthkd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
ATLANTA
Poll: Since VoOm is Alive, How many people will switch to them?

Okay all you Directv, Echostar, Aldelphia, Comcast and other HD people. How many of you are looking at the possibility of switching to VoOm since they are under new Owners and Management!!!!?

I think I am from D*, they are taking toooooo long for more HD, Ill give them to the end of Feb. Im not trilled over this LIL HD crap! :no

Voom doesn't have everything for them to be my primary service provider, so it would be too expensive, sorry.

True, but according to the most recent New release, The Dolans plan on having all needed funds and assets needed by the 28th of Feb!

Voom was never dead and is not yet under new management, so really the situation hasn't changed that much. They still dont have a compelling service that would make me sign up. If they had an HD only package then maybe, but I'm not going to dump my tivo and all the programming I get from DirecTV to get some upconverted movies.

JosephB said:
Voom was never dead and is not yet under new management, so really the situation hasn't changed that much. They still dont have a compelling service that would make me sign up. If they had an HD only package then maybe, but I'm not going to dump my tivo and all the programming I get from DirecTV to get some upconverted movies.

I believe as time goes by, people will be more educated when it comes to HD and shed their ignorance. When people make statements like "upconvert" movies, it makes me laugh. There is no "upconverting" of 35mm film. Another statement that makes me always laugh is "I just bought a brand new 42" HD TV for $2,500. The picture doesn't look that good on Voom...are they upconverting?" First, you can't get a 42" HD TV for $2,500. Second, people don't understand the difference between ED and HD. It will take time.

Easy answer. No chance due to no LOS. Also, won't recommend the service to anyone with LOS until the Dolans prove they have something beyond wishful thinking.

BTW - Yes I have seen Voom. Our friends had it until they got tired of lousy CS, repetitive programming and rain fade.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Easy answer. No chance due to no LOS. Also, won't recommend the service to anyone with LOS until the Dolans prove they have something beyond wishful thinking.

BTW - Yes I have seen Voom. Our friends had it until they got tired of lousy CS, repetitive programming and rain fade.

NightRyder

Sounds like Dish Network...

With 2 LCD tv's and 1 42" plasma so nothing but Voom gives these HD tv's any value.
Programming? My two kids and I watch Anamania and forgot about PBS Kids, Boomerang, CN etc. and now with the Family Room on HD10 we have more family choices than we ever did with DirecTV. The Voom channels have surprised me overall. Their rotation is at worst as limited as the other "cable networks" but at least it's all HD. Since I joined Voom back in Dec 2003 quality and choice has only improved to the point that now the overall viewing value far accedes my old DirecTV. (Talk about empty promises re:HD etc.)

keno said:
Sounds like Dish Network...

Sometimes it is. I'm no cheerleader, I have no emotional attachment to E* or any service provider. My friend had a bad experience with V*, the fact that some have similar problems with E*, D* or cable doesn't change that.

If V* has a superior product and can convince people of that, they will succeed, if they don't they will fail. Right now V* is a dismal failure from a business perspective. Will that change? Maybe, but the odds are against it. If they succeed, great. If they don't, it's no big deal and life goes on. After all, it's only TV.

NightRyder

Although I do not have HD yet...I hope to select a plasma in time to sign up and take advantage of VoOms' special before the end of Feb.

BFG said:
Umm, yes you so can get a 42" HDTV for $2500....

Hmmm...where? EDTV? Circuit City & Best Buy start at $3,500 for the cheapest HDTV. Average price for an average quality HDTV is $4,400, and for a good one over $5,000.

keno said:
I believe as time goes by, people will be more educated when it comes to HD and shed their ignorance. When people make statements like "upconvert" movies, it makes me laugh. There is no "upconverting" of 35mm film. Another statement that makes me always laugh is "I just bought a brand new 42" HD TV for $2,500. The picture doesn't look that good on Voom...are they upconverting?" First, you can't get a 42" HD TV for $2,500. Second, people don't understand the difference between ED and HD. It will take time.

All of that aside, I'm not going to switch from DirecTV to Voom and I don't plan on spending money on all the SD channels they have. Voom should be an HD addon service or should at least offer an HD only package. Then I'd very strongly consider getting it, but they can't even get close to DirecTV in terms of total programming offered, mainly in SD, and there's alot of must-haves on DirecTV that Voom doesn't offer. That is what will be their downfall.

JosephB said:
All of that aside, I'm not going to switch from DirecTV to Voom and I don't plan on spending money on all the SD channels they have. Voom should be an HD addon service or should at least offer an HD only package. Then I'd very strongly consider getting it, but they can't even get close to DirecTV in terms of total programming offered, mainly in SD, and there's alot of must-haves on DirecTV that Voom doesn't offer. That is what will be their downfall.

I just don't watch SD TV anymore.

If they come out witha DVR and have some kind of promotion with it I'll seriously consider giving them a shot. However it would be nice to know that they were going to succeed before making a switch.

Ummm I got my 46" HD DLP for $2200.

Maybe if we all only shopped at Circuit City or BestBuy. There are many good quality (perhaps not theater quality I suppose) options available. My Toshiba does a great job and was priced great.

What rock are you shopping under? And, yes - I completely understand the differences between ED and HD. Or, 480i, 480p, 720p, etc, etc.

Finally, do you really think the media being broadcast is directly off of 35mm? Or perhaps it's taken off the can so to speak and recorded in 480p? Then sometimes upconverted to something else?

Take a look at the DVD player industry as an example. Different formats, but progressive scan and upconverting is the same thing in practicality.

keno said:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)