Is this possible to stop from happening?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mini1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
My power will go out for about 5-10 seconds at least once per week, sometimes several times a week. After this happens, my HR24 and H24 restart and then remain on. Is there a way to get into the service menu and tell them to turn off after they restart from a power outage? If I'm not home they run all day until I get back and turn them off.

I would honestly be much more worried about the power outages and the damage being done to you home appliances and hardware. The minimal power consumption once they come back on is negligible compared to the possible harm being physically done to all the hardware. As far as managing the state the DirecTV is in post power outage; NO.

I just contacted the power company to file a complaint. They will open an investigation next week into the problem. I'm sick of it. I have to reset so many stupid things every time this happens. The good news is that this is about as close as we get to an outage unless a major hurricane comes though. My power has been rock solid, except for this.

But the question still remains, can I tell the receivers to turn off after they restart? Why do they just come on?

It was answered: "As far as managing the state the DirecTV is in post power outage; NO."

That is the "power return state" they decided to use and we can't change it unlike a PC where you can.

It was answered: "As far as managing the state the DirecTV is in post power outage; NO."

That is the "power return state" they decided to use and we can't change it unlike a PC where you can.

It cannot be changed or you just don't how to do it?

I guess if that's going to be your tone; you can attempt to try to find a hack method for yourself and brick your receivers. There is no end user supported way. Good luck.

The answer is simple, connect them to a UPS.

A very smart work around. Mine are all connected to UPS, but that isn't going to change the power on state internally. Just "tricks" the unit into thinking its still powered.

If a user has a 10 or 20m UPS what happens at the 25m point? The same power on state at reboot.

But this is a good start; and it will cost cash at each unit. The user really needs that power issue corrected before real damages are done.

The answer is simple, connect them to a UPS.

A very smart work around. Mine are all connected to UPS, but that isn't going to change the power on state internally. Just "tricks" the unit into thinking its still powered.

If a user has a 10 or 20m UPS what happens at the 25m point? The same power on state at reboot.

But this is a good start; and it will cost cash at each unit. The user really needs that power issue corrected before real damages are done.

Good call Chip and Charper,
I just saw this post, I would definitely use a UPS, I have them on mine, this will prevent most of your reboots, unless it goes out for an extended amount of time.

That said, Why would you worry about turning the recvrs OFF, they are NEVER off anyways, they always are on so they can have a Buffer going if you decide to come in and catch up on what was on the channel you were watching.

I will often do this if I don't record the item.

A good UPS will also condition the power and is worth the cost. Most outages are much shorter than the capacity of the UPS.

A good UPS will also condition the power and is worth the cost. Most outages are much shorter than the capacity of the UPS.

They are in my house! Max time I'm ever without power is the 30 seconds or so it takes for the generator to kick on. :D It was a must-have purchase because the power company seems to be getting flakier as days go on. If someone happens to sneeze next to the generating station it trips something and the town goes dark for half an hour.

They are in my house! Max time I'm ever without power is the 30 seconds or so it takes for the generator to kick on. :D It was a must-have purchase because the power company seems to be getting flakier as days go on. If someone happens to sneeze next to the generating station it trips something and the town goes dark for half an hour.

Same here. I got generators at home and at my office. The last straw was when I got employees wanting to leave work early because there was no power, and at my home when we lost power 2 days in a row.

I do however put battery backups on everything. They don't need to be big ones, but they got to be able to keep things powered up for the 30 seconds until the generator kicks on.

Nothing irrates me more than anything else when I got electronics being turned on and off, and the battery backup solves that issue.

I just bought 8 APC battery backups at Best Buy the other day. Went to go and checkout and found out there was a 20% discount when you buy 4 or more units!

the different in wattage between an "on" unit and a "standby" unit is very minimal...a couple watts probably

UPDATE: I just talked with a power company lead service area tech. They are aware of the issue. They traced the problem back to a series of over-voltage relays that trip when lightning hits the main transmission line(s) that go into the sub station that serves my neighborhood. We have had daily thunderstorms and they are telling me that lightning is causing these relays to trip, then reset. If they removed the relays then we would get a power outage or a massive surge. The relays are doing their job and there is really nothing I, or them can do, to prevent this from happening.

So there you go.. You have to add UPS units to sustain short outages, and an automatic generator if you want to protect against longer outages.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)