Is this worth even buying????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mathpro

Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Newbie here and I am thinking of jumping into the FTA arena. I have a friend down the street who is selling the satellite dish I have posted. Is this worth evening getting to start off with???? It looks like it is about a 4 or 5 footer. I am not sure if it is KU or C Band.

Also, what receiver should I purchase with this unit? He says he has two(about 5 years old) but I have not had a chance to get over there to look at them. For local channels, I presume I will still need an off air antenna unless I want to get the FTA feeds for the 3/4 major broadcasting stations.

Finally, this unit looks to be fixed. Can it be motorized to scan several satellites???

Is this worth even buying or should I get a different system all together???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stelio

Attachments

• satellite.jpg
    satellite.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 210
WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys FTA area!

Looks just like my C-Band dish (Snow and all) Seems like a deal depending on how much. Very often these days C-Band dish can be had for free or next to free!

Any DVB receiver will work, check the review area. An actuator can be added to make it move. Can't see the back of dish so you may also need a H to H mount!

If you can remove the LNB cover and let us see what kind of LNB it has, may only be C-Band at this point!

Looks nice!

Looks good from here

Mathpro said:
Newbie here and I am thinking of jumping into the FTA arena. I have a friend down the street who is selling the satellite dish I have posted. Is this worth evening getting to start off with???? It looks like it is about a 4 or 5 footer. I am not sure if it is KU or C Band.

Also, what receiver should I purchase with this unit? He says he has two(about 5 years old) but I have not had a chance to get over there to look at them. For local channels, I presume I will still need an off air antenna unless I want to get the FTA feeds for the 3/4 major broadcasting stations.

Finally, this unit looks to be fixed. Can it be motorized to scan several satellites???

Stelio

Suggest you check the size of the mesh holes....If a pencil will go thru...it will make KU reception poor!
jeff

If the price is good, you have room, and you can get it easy go for it. :D I have a 5' like this I got free, drove 20 miles and time, that I have received some analog stuff off. There is someone else in the group that has done more with theres. It can also do Ku with the right feedhorn setup.

Good luck.

Mathpro said:

Stelio

So would it be better to just buy a whole new system, which I do not have a problem doing....If so, what would be something good to go with????

Thanks for all your help.

Would be much easier to buy a new KU system. But not as much fun :)

PSB, I totally have to agree with ya about the fun factor, but my wife, who I am trying to sell this to, is the sort who likes instantaneous gratification. If it was up to me, I could tinker for eternity, but she says, with her, I do not have eternity to tinker with:eek: :eek: :eek: :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)