Is vip 612 compatible w/ pocketdish 405e

patrick80639

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
chicago
I have an opportunity to pick up an archos pocketdish 405e for a really good price. Would it work with transferring shows off my vip 612? I'm on WA, so I still have access to mpeg-2 SD. I've googled and can't find a definitive answer. Anybody using this combination? I'm about to switch to directv, but would stay with dish if this works as this feature is lacking with the other guys. Thanks for any help!

I know that my 612 and my pocket dish AV500E work together. Since the 405e is a Pocketdish it should work, if it has all the firmware updates. The 612 does support the Pocketdish. I'm transfering a show to mine right now, I know this is not a definite answer about the 405e but if the price is right you could have other uses for it.

I gather you mean SD only. And don't you have to dl a s/w "feature" from Archos to enable (limited) compatibility with Dish boxes?

The plug-in was for the Archos 5xx series, not the PocketDish. And it was free. Too bad it never made it to the 4xx series I have, nor to newer Archos series. :(

DefDude said:
I know that my 612 and my pocket dish AV500E work together. Since the 405e is a Pocketdish it should work, if it has all the firmware updates. The 612 does support the Pocketdish. I'm transfering a show to mine right now, I know this is not a definite answer about the 405e but if the price is right you could have other uses for it.

Thanks, it seems like they are the same generation, so the 402 should work. I'll give it a shot and post the results.

The plug-in was for the Archos 5xx series, not the PocketDish. And it was free. Too bad it never made it to the 4xx series I have, nor to newer Archos series. :(

Yes. I'd love to buy a product to take my Dish recordings to my trailer, but it'd have to be in HD to be worth it to me. REALLY disappointed they did not continue the idea.

Reactions: TheKrell
Yes. I'd love to buy a product to take my Dish recordings to my trailer, but it'd have to be in HD to be worth it to me. REALLY disappointed they did not continue the idea.

The idea would have gotten to big physically to accommodate HD.

If I record stuff I might want to take with me on a trip, mainly movies from the premiums , I always record both HD and SD. I have both EA and 110+119 also to do this. I also posted about using a seagate EHD to make copies to keep from deleting them from the DVR to get around "DRM":)

I went ahead and bought the pocketdish 402e. It works perfectly with my VIP 612. All my SD recordings transfer over problem-free. I'm now keeping a nervous eye on the western arc, if and when dish drops mpeg-2 SD broadcasts, this device won't be very useful. I'm enjoying it while it lasts though.

I went ahead and bought the pocketdish 402e. It works perfectly with my VIP 612. All my SD recordings transfer over problem-free. I'm now keeping a nervous eye on the western arc, if and when dish drops mpeg-2 SD broadcasts, this device won't be very useful. I'm enjoying it while it lasts though.
That will be a very long time, they would have to replace everybody's box's with VIP's and feed only mpeg 4 signals to all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)