Is Voom transmitting in HD color matrix or SD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JimP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Wetumpka, AL
I've been playing around with my Sony GWIII, Denon 5900, Avia and Voom.

It appears that on DVI 1080i, that the color decoder setting that I tweaked for SD looks better on Voom 1080i DVI than other decoder settings.

The proceedure I used was to get a well calibrated color decoder setting for component progressive 480p and then switched to DVI 1080i and compared it to what was suppose to be the correct HD decoder setting.

Therefore, since it appears that the SD color decoder setting is more correct than the HD settings, I'm asking if Voom is transmitting following the SD or HD color matrix.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed how much the colors vary in saturation,etc. while channel surfing?

I too have been debating this very topic. It seems to me that the color on the SD channels is washed out but the HD's look ok. I guess without having a way to check the HD color decoders via color bar test pattern for HD sent via DVI from Voom box we will just have to live with it for now. If Voom would transmit the HD color bars periodicly or have them installed in the DVR's once we get them that would be killer. Then everyone would be able to check their HD color decoder for accuracy, BUT the SD's are still going to look washed out. Here are a couple of sites with some good information on the subject of SD via HD inputs... Looks like we are going to have to live with it until everything is in HD, OR use seperate connections for HD versus SD channels and switch inputs on your TV, big P.I.T.A.

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/support..._correction.htm

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=411532

I wouldn't describe what I'm seeing as washed out. This sounds more like service menu adjustments for those resolutions on your DVI input. On my Sony, you have the option of setting a lot of these types of adjustment.

What I'm referring to is where by using the SD decoder settings, the HD colors look more in balance with each other. None of these glowing reds that couldn't be right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)